Caribou Coffee

Caribou Coffee Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield

Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • Discount and free half pound coffee every week(in 14 reviews)

• Free 1/2 pound of beans per week(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management lack of communication and really poor distribution of product(in 24 reviews)

• Also, she favors shift supervisors over team members which makes us feel belittled and unimportant(in 18 reviews)

Terrible, torture like.

Team Member (Former Employee) Shakopee, MN

ProsFree shift drink. free 1/2 pound of beans each week.

ConsIf you work in drive Thru you are forced to sit in your "box" for hours with the sunrise beaming on you and you cannot step out of your box even for a second if you are burning hot. You get yelled at if you don't talk to people in the drive thru even if they are talking on their phone or busy doing something else. You get in trouble if you forgot to tell someone about their ridiculously expensive bean that no one wants to buy because managers only care about how many points they get so THEY can get a bonus...no one else. There is no place to put your lunch if it needs to be refridgerated so there's a better chance you will buy caribous food because you hardly get a break to go somewhere else to eat. Sometimes if you start at 6 or 7 am you get your lunch break at early as 9 (who wants to eat lunch at 9???) and nothing else until your shift ends at 2 or 3. TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about your employees, and not yourself sometimes.

Worst training ever.

ProsIt's nice getting a half bag of coffee every week, but other than that I have found no good reasons to work here. I have friends at a Starbucks who were trained and treated consistently better than I have ever been at this job.

ConsYou are only given three days of training. Three. Then you are expected to be competent enough to work independently. First day of training on bar, my assistant manager (who was supposed to be training me) rolled her eyes and said, "Ugh, I hate training people."

I've worked many, many fast-paced restaurant jobs, including working in a coffee shop job for years. I have never been so consistently stressed and upset in a work environment before. Every place I have worked has commented that I pick up on new things surprisingly fast. Here, however, co-workers just treat you like a burden, since you're not as fast or as confident as they are. To top it off, I was hired for full-time, yet am barely scraping 20 hours a week.

I've worked a lot of unpleasant jobs before. This is the first time I have ever hated one. This environment is stressful, demeaning, and I am looking for a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe User Interface system for cash registers has the worst design I have ever seen. Hire some designers to make the computer system more interactive and user-friendly, so that there is a minimum number of buttons cashiers need to push in order to ring an order through, and re-design the way they show up on the computer for the baristas. Currently the specifications of each drink are rung in slightly differently, and there is no quick way to differentiate between the words. That shouldn't be a problem with a company this large. You've got some great company branding and logo design, now please apply that accessibility to the work area itself.

Also, please consider the health and safety of your employees. In every other job I have worked it's been expected that workers will take a 15 to 20 minute break every 4 hours worked so that they can eat, use the bathroom, etc. I end most of my six hours shifts shaking because my blood sugars are too low, but I haven't had a single chance for a break. That's not healthy for anyone.

If you want a job that sucks the soul out of you, look no farther!

Cashier (Current Employee) Spring Lake Park, MN

ProsThe only good things about working here are the tips, employee discount, and free drinks.

ConsYou're expected to work 9+ hours without a break. Hopefully it's different for other managers, but MY manager consistently fails to look at her employees availability, so all of my coworkers are scheduled at least one shift they can't work per week. Also, she favors shift supervisors over team members which makes us feel belittled and unimportant. Hopefully it's just my manager that doesn't know how to do her job, but this is what my experience at Caribou Coffee has been like.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should add in the training videos something about being slave drivers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are many better places to work

Barista (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsCaribou employees are wonderful hardworking people who give far more to this company than they get back. Students, moms and recent grads make my store a great place to work but the company doesn't provide the same thing.

ConsPoor pay, no vacation pay, no sick time, no raise after over a year nor even a review related to a raise, no breaks. I do mean NO BREAKS. Many at my store are scheduled 8 hours or more and are not offered even a ten minute window to sit down.

Advice to Senior ManagementMcDonalds, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Target, Taco Bell, Goodwill, Menards, the list goes on, all offer ten minute breaks for four hour shifts and protected lunches for eight hour shifts. These companies don't tell their employees they need to ask for a break and that it "might be allowed if scheduling and business permit". Caribou, stop presenting yourself as an ethical and concerned corporation while asking your front line employees to be on their feet for eight hours.

former manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsIf you love coffee, this is a great place to work. You can have all the drip brew coffee you want. If you like employees dictating their schedule to you, you will love it.

ConsI did not like the upper management because they are sneaky and they lie. They do not back up their managers, they would rather back up their team members than believe their managers because its easier.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack up your management staff. Team members should not be running the show.

Messed up

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsSome of my customers are absolutely AMAZING!
    Tips can be decent some days
    Free coffee
    Discount

ConsManagement takes advantage of the good workers
    A lot of expectations from corporate, but very little support or resources
    They dangle promotions, but rarely do they come through
    Store Managers burn out at an alarming rate (8 managers in 2 years?!)
    Requesting a transfer is like the end of the world
    The company insists on keeping a pay differential for supervisors - they get paid LESS for doing the same work when working with a SM or ASM.
    We are so understaffed that requesting time off creates conflicts with co-workers
    Understaffing is so bad that OT is often approved for 3+ people on a weekly basis
    Focus is always changing (Beans, food, promos, etc)
    They spring BOGOs on us with little warning
    Benefits suck - you accrue PTO only if at FT status, medical insurance is pretty bad, nothing else for us
    There is no work-life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing so much on the dollar, and realize your workers are humans. They have lives outside of this job, and we shouldn't be punished so much for doing what we do.

Oh, and listen to the supervisors and TM's more...they will tell you what's REALLY going on in the store.

Bad news.

Barista (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA

Prosi liked my coworkers, and the job was fun.

ConsManagement was awful, lots of drama tolerated, favoritism, should have been promoted but wasn't

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better people

Very Under-trained

Team Member (Former Employee) Saint Louis Park, MN

ProsGood benefits (if you work 20 or more hours)
    Never bored

ConsDidn't have any training before being thrown onto the front register
    Many employees and managers break a lot of the sanitary rules and safety rules
    Have to deal with very rude customers

Advice to Senior ManagementSanitation rules and safety rules should ALWAYS be followed. Also, brand new employees need more training or the store will flop.

not recommended

Team Member (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosbenefits, shift drinks, like the regulars

Conspoor employee relations, corrupt management

one year of hell.

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFree coffee, awesome co-workers, some fun regular employees, great morning tips

ConsWhere to begin...
    - Early mornings / Late nights
    - Tips are split per shift, which is great if you're working the morning shift or working with a manager (mgmt doesn't get tips), but if you're working at night you get almost nothing.
    - Training is minimal. I was working a busy holiday weekend with 2 new employees after only 1 week of training.
    - Zero stability. During 1 yr of employment I had 5 district managers and 3 different store managers.
    - Pay is lower than Starbucks, you are reviewed for raises yearly.
    - Company doesn't know what they're doing. They come out with promotions with little to no preparation. They spend time and money implementing new policies and procedures only to change them soon after.
    - They hire managers that have little to no experience. Most are not willing to do work as a barista. They say that they promote from within, but in order to be promoted you have to be a "Cari-bot" and are disgustingly devoted to the company.
    - You have to sign a Social media policy, saying you won't speak ill of the company on social media. (EVEN IF IT IS THE TRUTH AND YOU HAVE DOCUMENTED FACTS!) They have the right to fire you AND bring legal action against you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your store TEAM MEMBERS. Before you implement policies or introduce new products, please talk to some non-management store employees. Also, when you test products, keep in mind that Minnesota customers are different than customers in other parts of the country.

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!