Caribou Coffee Reviews

305 reviews filtered by
3.2
Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • Plus you get a free half pound of coffee every week and a free shift drink every time you work (in 17 reviews)

• Free 1/2 pound of beans every week (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management lack of communication and really poor distribution of product (in 25 reviews)

• There were no shift supervisors and the storage room was a mess (in 20 reviews)

1. Talks a great game, produces a toxic environment.

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Fun coworkers, great regulars (customers).

Cons

Bean sales are all that matter. Literally the only thing that matters to upper managment are bean sales. It's cult like. They send dozens of emails a day asking for alomst hourly updates.
     No breaks. I honestly don't know how they legally get away with it. Expect a class action lawsuit in the next couple years. You will be expected to work 8 hours without even a 5 minute break.

Treat your employees with respect.

2. Tiring

Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

It's a coffee house environment! :)

Cons

Zero work life balance. Unrealistic expectations mandated from the gods above.

Honoring the culture you write on paper would be start.

3. Stressful and low paying.

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

- The employees and (most of) the customers are wonderful to work with.
    - I like getting free coffee each week.

Cons

-- Management is focused on bean sales. Our last goal in our store was over 400 pounds in less than two months. I was told by my manager that we have to make the goals, otherwise our store has consequences. With large chain stores selling our product, it's hard getting customers to buy beans when they are on the go.
    -- Management is focused on cutting labor to save money, making it difficult to manage shifts. Mornings are busy, but that's where our profit mostly comes from, so at least 6 employees will be on the floor. During a typical closing shift, there are 2 people working. From 3pm to 6pm, there is an after work rush. Typically, as a shift supervisor, I am on bar making drinks, answering the headset, and entering in orders. My team member is taking payment in the drive thru window. If a person comes inside the store, I have to take a break to ring them up and my team member takes over bar and answering headset. After 6pm, business slows down so I have time to clean the store briefly in between rushes.
    -- The amount of stress I am put through at work is not worth the pay. Plus, if I am scheduled as a team member, I get paid less than I do if I am scheduled as a shift supervisor. At my store, we usually have one or two TM shifts a week.
    -- The sick policy would be awesome if it was enforced. You are not supposed to come into work if you have a fever if you've thrown up in the last 24 hours. However, we are responsible for finding someone to cover our shifts. There are six supervisors at my store (including me). We are all overworked. No one is jumping to take any shifts - we would have to work on one of our few days off or work a double. I have literally thrown up at work and had to stay to finish my shift because I couldn't find someone to cover my shift.

5. Horrible, DON'T WORK HERE!!!

Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee, Free shift drink

Cons

1. Its a lie... its is not flexible. I am a high school student who is an athlete and apart of many clubs at school, so I am very busy. The Caribou I work at did not consider my requested days off.There was a Saturday that I requested 1 month prior to the day and I was still given the day. I was physically out of town for a college visit so I had no way to go, so I was written up for No Call No Show, even though I did let my manager know a month ahead, funny thing was 4 other people go that day off that requested it after me. Another thing is there were time where I was scheduled on days requested off with out any asking me. I mean at lease notify me or ask me why I requested the day off, this one time I had an ACT prep test and I requested the day off for it and I was told by the manager that she wasn't going to schedule me, next thing I know I had to come in that day.

2.That leads me to the biggest issue, not being treated equally. Now I don't want to dive in to the racial thing but I am African american and I am the youngest person to work at my store. 16 years old. But my point is, i feel like I am treated different from my co-workers. For example when requesting days off my co-workers tend to get it instead of me, I don't see the reasoning there. Another example would be the littlest comment that is made by the store manager towards me when I make a mistake, they are sarcastic and low key negative , they're just presented in a "nice" manner. Another example is when I came in exactly 2 minutes late and I was scolded about coming to work on time and being at my station exactly at the correct time, while on the other had ive seen my co-workers show up later than me and the manager said absolutely nothing to them.

3. No sick days apparently, and the don't follow their own rule books. I had an injury at a soccer game about 4 hours prior to the time I was supposed to be at work. My right ankle was the size of a tennis ball and was purple. I call in a soon as possible, just about 3 hours prior and talked to the manager and told her about my situation, at the moment I was with a physician getting my foot treated. I was told to stay off my foot for a while because it was a pretty bad sprain. I told the manager and she straight up told me good luck finding someone to cover you. Which I found disappointing because how are you going to run a business when not all of your employees can preform 100%. Plus I had no assistance finding someone last minute to cover, I understand that its my responsibility to find someone but give me a break, I was in the middle of pain and chaos. Plus the handbook states that I have 2 hours prior to call in for an emergency which I did and nothing was taken into consideration. I worked a 7 hour shift with one food sprained. It was horrible, at least give me the day off.

4. Training is horrible. They had a bunch of new people hired. One girl was working for about a month and wasn't trained on cold bar, and was scheduled a bunch of morning shifts and was put on cold bar, so basically was told to learn from mistakes. Plus the manager was breathing down her neck which made things worse. Thank god my training process was good, but after working their a while things changed.

5. No rewards, appreciation, nothing like that. Not good enough recognition

6. No breaks. I know its a law to give your workers a break if they work 8 hour shift or more. Non of given here at caribou. Which I think is BS. I would come in at 7AM and work will 3PM, I dont get a lunch break becasue its busy, and even after a rush we have to catch up on cleaning and restocking, and when I ask for a lunch break I have to complete a task before I do so, and this is a problem because I would see the manager siting in the back eating and n the computer doing their manager stuff, so my question is why do you get to eat when ever you want, and I have to complete a task before I do so, when its past lunch, and by the time im done with the task there is another rush. In the end only about 30% of break requests are effective when I work busy mornings. I understand its busy, but I haven't eaten for 8 hours, and its past lunch, don't expect me to have 100% energy, I am human and need food to work. And there are 6-7 others that can cover my position for just 3 minutes while I have a bite, even though the law requires a break on a 8+ hour shift.

7. No employee feed back. This just shows how much caribou cares about the workers. There is not one thing that I can fill out to tell caribou about my work experience. This tells me that they dont care about me or my co workers. But I don't blame them, if they did have something like that I dont know how they would handle all the negative comments.

But In the end its all about attitude, I still show up to work, do my part and leave. My job description is now "Deal with BS", its "Serve people coffee with a smile" Ill continue to do that. Just dont expect me to be friends with my co workers or manager, Ill treat you the way you treat me.

Step up your game, a good business begins with your employees. If the workers are happy they will deliver positive results. Don't breath down their neck, everyone makes mistakes. ESPECIALLY when they are not given proper training.
    And why don't you try asking your employees about their work experience at caribou.

6. Upper Management Lies..We wont change a thing when we sold..3 months, bunch of people were laid off when 100's of stores

Former Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coffee enviroment in general is fun no matter which coffee place you work for. Discount on beans, free drinks.

Cons

Fast paced, early hours, learning to be a pro at the bar, scheduling inconsistent. Marketing inconsistent.

Gave up on North Carolina too soon.

No longer has identity and fails to live to own mission.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Winnetka, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Winnetka, IL

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Store employees are great to work with and lead. Unlimited creativity from them.
    Best coffee around.
    My store was connected to the best book store around.

Cons

Corporate and district Management's inability to even comprehend mission statement.
    Work life balance nonexistent.
    Constant pressure to fire great employees, "because their hourly wage is too high."
    Trying to be the competition and losing its history.
    Managed to a report of promotional items sold. Not profitability or overall same store sales.

If you create a culture statement, live by it!
    Our Guests: Through Quality, Innovation, Connection.
    Our Team: Listening, Developing, Recognizing.
    Our Community: Being Fair, Accepting, and Responsible.
    Our Personality: Being Fun, Passionate, and Authentic.

8. Low Morale

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Parkville, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Parkville, MO

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get a free drink for each shift you work, and also a free half pound of coffee each week. That's literally the only perk of this job

Cons

Caribou found a loophole that allows them to deny its employees breaks. I've worked shifts as long as 11 hours without even being able to eat or even just sit down for more than a minute. The shoes we're required to wear are murder on my feet and I cannot afford to buy those comfort insoles because our pay is so miniscule. Good luck trying to pay your bills when you're fighting for hours and you're paid less than $9/hour (hint: you can't. I've been living off savings for the last 4 months). How can you expect me to do my best at work when you're not paying me enough for me to be able to feed myself? When you're a Caribou employee, you are a wage slave. A robot programmed to shove overpriced coffee beans in every customer's face or else you won't get any hours. You're expected to eat the sh*t of every cranky customer who screams in your face for no good reason. I have had multiple panic attacks while at work for this reason. This sort of work is humiliating. I work so hard and what do I get in return? Depression and the lack of being able to pay my rent because the higher-ups are too selfish to pay us well.

I can't pay rent with these wages. Not all of us are 16 and living with our parents. There's a reason turnover is so high, it's because we aren't paid NEARLY enough for the sort of suffering humiliation we go through.
    And for the love of GOD stop making your SS and TMs push beans so hard. If a customer wants to buy beans, they will buy them of their own accord, not because a college kid is begging them to. I can't make them buy something they don't want.

9. Terrible, torture like.

Former Employee - Team Member in Shakopee, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Shakopee, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free shift drink. free 1/2 pound of beans each week.

Cons

If you work in drive Thru you are forced to sit in your "box" for hours with the sunrise beaming on you and you cannot step out of your box even for a second if you are burning hot. You get yelled at if you don't talk to people in the drive thru even if they are talking on their phone or busy doing something else. You get in trouble if you forgot to tell someone about their ridiculously expensive bean that no one wants to buy because managers only care about how many points they get so THEY can get a bonus...no one else. There is no place to put your lunch if it needs to be refridgerated so there's a better chance you will buy caribous food because you hardly get a break to go somewhere else to eat. Sometimes if you start at 6 or 7 am you get your lunch break at early as 9 (who wants to eat lunch at 9???) and nothing else until your shift ends at 2 or 3. TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about your employees, and not yourself sometimes.

Worst training ever.

I have been working at Caribou Coffee (less than a year)

Pros

It's nice getting a half bag of coffee every week, but other than that I have found no good reasons to work here. I have friends at a Starbucks who were trained and treated consistently better than I have ever been at this job.

Cons

You are only given three days of training. Three. Then you are expected to be competent enough to work independently. First day of training on bar, my assistant manager (who was supposed to be training me) rolled her eyes and said, "Ugh, I hate training people."

I've worked many, many fast-paced restaurant jobs, including working in a coffee shop job for years. I have never been so consistently stressed and upset in a work environment before. Every place I have worked has commented that I pick up on new things surprisingly fast. Here, however, co-workers just treat you like a burden, since you're not as fast or as confident as they are. To top it off, I was hired for full-time, yet am barely scraping 20 hours a week.

I've worked a lot of unpleasant jobs before. This is the first time I have ever hated one. This environment is stressful, demeaning, and I am looking for a new job.

The User Interface system for cash registers has the worst design I have ever seen. Hire some designers to make the computer system more interactive and user-friendly, so that there is a minimum number of buttons cashiers need to push in order to ring an order through, and re-design the way they show up on the computer for the baristas. Currently the specifications of each drink are rung in slightly differently, and there is no quick way to differentiate between the words. That shouldn't be a problem with a company this large. You've got some great company branding and logo design, now please apply that accessibility to the work area itself.

Also, please consider the health and safety of your employees. In every other job I have worked it's been expected that workers will take a 15 to 20 minute break every 4 hours worked so that they can eat, use the bathroom, etc. I end most of my six hours shifts shaking because my blood sugars are too low, but I haven't had a single chance for a break. That's not healthy for anyone.

If you want a job that sucks the soul out of you, look no farther!

Current Employee - Cashier in Spring Lake Park, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Spring Lake Park, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only good things about working here are the tips, employee discount, and free drinks.

Cons

You're expected to work 9+ hours without a break. Hopefully it's different for other managers, but MY manager consistently fails to look at her employees availability, so all of my coworkers are scheduled at least one shift they can't work per week. Also, she favors shift supervisors over team members which makes us feel belittled and unimportant. Hopefully it's just my manager that doesn't know how to do her job, but this is what my experience at Caribou Coffee has been like.

You should add in the training videos something about being slave drivers.