www.cariboucoffee.com

Updated December 16, 2014
3.2

Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • Plus you get a free half pound of coffee every week and a free shift drink every time you work (in 17 reviews)

• Free 1/2 pound of beans every week (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management lack of communication and really poor distribution of product (in 25 reviews)

• There were no shift supervisors and the storage room was a mess (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Barista, Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free Coffee!
    Positive people.
    Good community.

Cons

no sick time, paid time off, very detail oriented, but inconsistent, and no visionary leadership.

I think investing in your employees in training is good, however, there could be more positive feedback and appreciation. Benefits should be automatic and not something you pay for, especially since there is no sick leave. There should be more sales training, and less sales pushes for customers. If sales pushes continue, it should be with K. Cups rather than ground coffee.

Great Experience

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Fun, good coworkers, and gained great multitasking skills

Cons

Stressful at times because very fast-paced

Current Employee

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Getting to know regulars and making drinks! Very fun place to work!

Cons

Always having coffee promotions and never allowing the guests or employees to have a break from them.

Pay employees more because Caribou pays a significant less than competitors.

It's Could Be Worse

Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get free drinks and an employee discount, and you either have a lot of free time or your busy constantly. You get to build relationships with customers.

Cons

Very high turnover rates, and a lot of disorganization. There are always more questions than answers, and the pay is low as minimum wage was just raised. The burn out rate is very fast here!

Be more understanding about the job requirments. Do not ask employees to stay 30+ minutes after their shift is over, and be more organized. Hire shift supervisors more carefully.

Terrible Management

Former Employee - Team Member in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Brooklyn Center, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get 1 free shift drink, tips (that get split up depending on who you are working with), 1/2 lb of beans or 12 tea bags, you get an employee discount card, and benefits if you have been with them for over a month, and you get to meet amazing people!

Cons

At the Caribou I worked at, the boss singled me out and treated me unfairly. She lied to me and accused me of lying to her. I quit after she tried to kick my friend out of the store after he bought 4 drinks that day. 1 before he dropped me off and 3 three while he was waiting for my shift to end. I was also working the most hours for part time. There were no shift supervisors and the storage room was a mess. She also was sarcastic and rude to the customers. I liked it there but I was trying to transfer and she kept delaying it. If you work over time and you are part-time, you won't get paid. It can either be corporate or franchise I believe.

Please recheck on who you hire for managing stores. If they can't handle the work and keep getting "injuries" then they should not be working at Caribou. I do not want any other employees at Caribou to be mistreated.

Team Member

Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

getting to know regulars and the people you work with are usually pretty cool. you also get to develop skills such as dealing with people and making latte art

Cons

pay and not a lot of job growth are the biggest problems. however there isn't alot of respect for the lower end team members here either

Very difficult job, but the product, people, and culture are amazing!

Current Employee - Senior Store Manager in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Store Manager in Brooklyn Center, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The product is amazing. They're always keeping it fresh, local, and innovative.
    - The culture is fun and the company always thinks "outside of the box."
    - The company really works on being action oriented and listening to their employees. They take regular team member engagement surveys, and shares those results publicly.

Cons

- Too many unrealistic expectations and demands for management.
    - There's not enough in store support for store managers.
    - Demanding work load and long days/hours.
    - Being responsible for your store 24/7. I've seen other managers miss out on their vacations, important family events, and the lack a real work/life balance.
    - The compensation and bonus structure is terrible.

- Pay your people for the hard work that they actually do. You expect way to much from your Store Managers, and you pay them significantly less then your competitors.
    - Financially invest in creating a position for store managers to have some store level support.
    - District managers often end up as "middle men" and never put on an apron to help behind the counter.
    - Set realistic expectations. Your eco-sure visits kill morale and set impossible expectations. I find it ridiculous that a store can pass a health inspection with flying colors, but "fail" your eco-sure audits because they scored below an 80%.
    - Give your teams 1 - 3 priorities instead of several things to execute perfectly. (Ie., labor, staffing, guest satisfaction, cogs, operating expenses, eco-sure, controllable profit, seasonal promotions, etc.) What's most important to you? No one is superman.

Pretty amazing company, overall.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lakeville, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lakeville, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (less than an year)

Pros

• company treats you like a human, not just another nameless drone.
    • free drinks everyday you work, free 1/2 lb of beans every week, 30% off all the time at any caribou
    • really fun coworkers

Cons

• early hours
    • lots of promotions
    • constant push to sell beans and merch

Overall, Caribou Coffee has good intentions, on a macro level, Caribou lacks to professionalism and organizational skill

Former Employee - Store Manager/New Store Opening Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager/New Store Opening Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Caribou, especially in it's core market, where I was raised with the company has plenty of room for growth and development. They are thriving to develop their people to the next level. The atmosphere the teams and guests create in it's core, Minnesota Market is wonderful. The guests and teams have a true sense of ownership and pride for the company, sometimes blindly.

Paid time off is accrued relatively quickly, benefits are decent.

Cons

When it comes to compensation, Caribou is far behind the industry trend, especially when it comes to internal promotes. Generally, those promoted within make about 10-25% LESS than external hires. This concept comes from the idea that once someone is bought into a company they will work harder to prove their worth with a company.

Field (store) management, for the most part are paid hourly, based on a 47 hour a work week. Each week, you have 7 hours of approved and required overtime.

My biggest fret with Caribou Coffee is that this company is more about sales than it is about people. Each year, every store has sales goals for bulk bean sales, seven times over. Each store is set a goal of an average of 300-400 pounds, dependent on store location, traffic and specific bean promotions of coffee they MUST sell in a promotional window average of four weeks. These goals are non-negotiable, and discipline happens when goals are not met.

My biggest disappoint with Caribou comes from Amy's Blend however.

Amy's Blend is promoted as a coffee that benefits CancerCare. Caribou donates 10% of all Amy's Blend to CancerCare, up to $250,000.00. Here's the kicker however:

The origins of Amy's Blend are Costa Rice, Guatemala, Kenya and Ethiopia, which are the "key components" of most blends that Caribou Coffee offers - including Caribou Blend.

Caribou Blend retails at $12.99 per 16oz bag, it has the same components as Amy's, except it has Brazil added as well. Brazil is the most expense component to the blend. Amy's Blend retails at $15.99, with 10% donated to CancerCare. So - each bag contributes $1.59 to CancerCare.

This is the cheapest coffee Caribou Produces, it is also the BIGGEST single financial contribution the company makes annually all while masked with aiding CancerCare.

Caribou has a major disconnection between the support centre team and the field team. Through my entire tenure with Caribou, through differing and quickly progressing roles with the company, the knowledge, expectation and realistic outcome has only worsened over time which ultimately led to my departure from Caribou Coffee.

Caribou needs to refocus it's core values and take a realistic approach when considering how to be financially successful. It is no wonder why Caribou's engagement results are so low, as a company, the focus on promotions are too high, the stress to meet sales goals is too much for entire teams, up to and including all levels of field management.

You can't force engagement, having a plan on how to achieve engagement is blind, refocus your energy to bettering store and team member satisfaction before pushing promotions down their throats. Engagement isn't taught or planned it happens while trust is granted and given.

Caribou is failing to meet both of those, Our Commitment to Our Team Members needs to be addressed and looked at on the field side.

Good transitional job

Former Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee, make your own schedule. Some additional training. My DM was ok, set clear goals and followed through. Lost weight due to long hours and stress.

Cons

Not for me. Managed for a couple years and the hours are terrible. You must work 47 hours a week, and aren't salaried unless you're a senior store manager or training store manager. Staffing is a nightmare, and the turnover for team members is 6-12 months, shift supervisors 1 year, and managers not much better than a year. On your feet all day, in charge of all ordering, set up, Heath requirements, payroll, finding talent, training, meetings, and thousands of side jobs. I would work 5am to 5:30pm and not eat breakfast or lunch. You will be worked to the bone, and won't be covered if you're sick. Great place to learn how to work hard and leave. Only job advancement outside of MN is district manager, and that position is rarely available. Lots of promises, little fulfillment. High stress, high activity, no room for promotion. That's the idea, and I get it now.

Don't make people work 70 hrs a week and only get paid for 47.