Caribou Coffee

Caribou Coffee Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield

Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • Discount and free half pound coffee every week (in 14 reviews)

• Free 1/2 pound of beans per week (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management lack of communication and really poor distribution of product (in 24 reviews)

• Also, she favors shift supervisors over team members which makes us feel belittled and unimportant (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent company

Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGood people to work with

ConsStore Managers should not bicker so much

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people who show drive to move from Barista positions into Management positions

It was a great experience with lots of learning.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a good place to learn about the industry.

ConsTeam members do not earn much.

Amazing!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGreat Company to work for! Job advancement opportunities, using your strengths effectively day-to-day, and loving your job!

ConsMore competitive compensation for employees working in the field i.e TMs, SSs, ASMs, SMs, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on shining!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced and fun

Barista (Former Employee) Bristow, VA

ProsEasy to learn, decent starting pay.

Conshard to get the hours you need. Goes from exciting and really busy to absolutely dead on shifts.

Advice to Senior Managementbe positive and encourage your team members

If you want a job that sucks the soul out of you, look no farther!

Cashier (Current Employee) Spring Lake Park, MN

ProsThe only good things about working here are the tips, employee discount, and free drinks.

ConsYou're expected to work 9+ hours without a break. Hopefully it's different for other managers, but MY manager consistently fails to look at her employees availability, so all of my coworkers are scheduled at least one shift they can't work per week. Also, she favors shift supervisors over team members which makes us feel belittled and unimportant. Hopefully it's just my manager that doesn't know how to do her job, but this is what my experience at Caribou Coffee has been like.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should add in the training videos something about being slave drivers.

OK for temporary employment, wouldn't suggest making this place a life long career.... obviously.

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee) Centerville, OH

Prosnot too challenging, free / discounted coffee and tea (yum!) , health insurance if needed, cash tips.

Consmanagers (depending on location of course), like to micro-manage which isn't effective in my experience, I transferred to a different location in Chicago and it was the worst idea ever! Manager was very evil and I think was out to get me so I left as soon as I could. My experience at the one in Centerville was awesome though but I think that has to do with the awesome manager!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry new approach to managing, your staff is a reflection of you and if you are poorly managing you are only hurting yourself in the end.

Fun Atmosphere, Extremely High Expectations for Pay

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) Oakdale, MN

ProsCo-Workers, Fun Prepping Drinks, Opportunity to Work in Different Stores

ConsShifts with no breaks, Expectations ridiculous for pay scale

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating people like you are "better" than them - most of the employees have second jobs, go to great colleges and work really hard.....some day you might work for THEM.

Friendly, Team Atmosphere - Better Than At Sbux

Barista (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood company values, easy procedures and training, kind management, corporate wasn't overly-involved like at that other place, more laid-back and cozy welcoming atmosphere for both customers and employees.

ConsOccasional long shift standing all day, a good deal of cleaning/custodial duties,

Advice to Senior Managementpay a little better (obviously--and i was one of the highest-paid there), give FAR more incentive to want to take on promotion (shift supervisor does 3x the work for 50 cents to a dollar more an hour).

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people here are very nice co-workers and visitors. The shifts also go very fast as you are working! Good place to come in as a newbie in the work force.

ConsIt takes time to learn how to make a lot of the drinks and you would have to have a pretty open schedule to work here. Also working on Holidays is a bummer.

There are many better places to work

Barista (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsCaribou employees are wonderful hardworking people who give far more to this company than they get back. Students, moms and recent grads make my store a great place to work but the company doesn't provide the same thing.

ConsPoor pay, no vacation pay, no sick time, no raise after over a year nor even a review related to a raise, no breaks. I do mean NO BREAKS. Many at my store are scheduled 8 hours or more and are not offered even a ten minute window to sit down.

Advice to Senior ManagementMcDonalds, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Target, Taco Bell, Goodwill, Menards, the list goes on, all offer ten minute breaks for four hour shifts and protected lunches for eight hour shifts. These companies don't tell their employees they need to ask for a break and that it "might be allowed if scheduling and business permit". Caribou, stop presenting yourself as an ethical and concerned corporation while asking your front line employees to be on their feet for eight hours.

Worked for Caribou Coffee? Contribute to the Community!