Caribou Coffee Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
312 reviews filtered by

1. Great first job experience!

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

-Learn how to work with customers
    -Money handling
    -Develop social skills
    -Team building
    -Sales goals experience

Cons

-Early hours
    -Difficult to progress in company in easy fashion

2. Shift Supervisor

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Lots of free coffee. They were flexible with my school schedule.

Cons

Never would have stayed because there were no growth opportunities.

Poor Ethics.

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great tips
    -Generally friendly co-workers and customers
    -Free shift drinks & weekly coffee beans
    -Flexible scheduling

Cons

Poor ethics during coffee promotions. Little focus on customer, more focus on store operations and sales quotas

Advice to Management

Lay off the promotions (and quotas during them). The customers hate it and the workers hate it even more, especially the managers. Instill a customer-first mentality, starting with management. Many times I have seen a manager abandon a long line to do something else in the store. Focus does not seem to be on getting the customer their order, and quickly - it's all about upselling and perks cards. Customers come to Caribou for their coffee - don't scare them off with long (and often unnecessary) waits, repeatedly trying to sell them coffee they don't want, and upselling regulars who know what they want.

5. It was fun!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

The store I was working at was pretty amazing. We were like a little family. I had decent hours, and was able to switch it with college. Employee discount, shift drink, and half lb of beans a week

Cons

There was more of a turn over rate, so it seemed like you were always training someone in. It was frustrating at times. I was promoted to a shift supervisor after a year of working and then they switched my schedule around without really asking me.

Advice to Management

Better COmmuncation, if you don;t like something I am do or doing wrong, tell me right away, and show me the right way.

6. Supervisor

I worked at Caribou Coffee

Pros

people, tips, leadership, product, donations

Cons

weekend hours, crabby customers,

7. Customers make it worth it

Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best customers. They become like family.

Cons

Leadership is lacking. They preach integrity but will stab you in the back without blinking. When they closed 80 or so stores across the country they notified those stores on a conference call. "If you are on this call your store will be closing." Quite the personal touch for a company that talks about respect for the individual and caring for it's employees like they are family. They drive employees to sell beans like Amy's Blend under the mask of "supporting breast cancer research and helping those affected by breast cancer". The $ amount donated is pennies on the dollar compared to the profit Caribou makes from so called donations. Don't be fooled by the sympathy act. They rake it in every year with Amy's Blend. Bottom line is they are just another corp windbag and will always be with the current leadership.

8. Stressful and low paying.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

- The employees and (most of) the customers are wonderful to work with.
    - I like getting free coffee each week.

Cons

-- Management is focused on bean sales. Our last goal in our store was over 400 pounds in less than two months. I was told by my manager that we have to make the goals, otherwise our store has consequences. With large chain stores selling our product, it's hard getting customers to buy beans when they are on the go.
    -- Management is focused on cutting labor to save money, making it difficult to manage shifts. Mornings are busy, but that's where our profit mostly comes from, so at least 6 employees will be on the floor. During a typical closing shift, there are 2 people working. From 3pm to 6pm, there is an after work rush. Typically, as a shift supervisor, I am on bar making drinks, answering the headset, and entering in orders. My team member is taking payment in the drive thru window. If a person comes inside the store, I have to take a break to ring them up and my team member takes over bar and answering headset. After 6pm, business slows down so I have time to clean the store briefly in between rushes.
    -- The amount of stress I am put through at work is not worth the pay. Plus, if I am scheduled as a team member, I get paid less than I do if I am scheduled as a shift supervisor. At my store, we usually have one or two TM shifts a week.
    -- The sick policy would be awesome if it was enforced. You are not supposed to come into work if you have a fever if you've thrown up in the last 24 hours. However, we are responsible for finding someone to cover our shifts. There are six supervisors at my store (including me). We are all overworked. No one is jumping to take any shifts - we would have to work on one of our few days off or work a double. I have literally thrown up at work and had to stay to finish my shift because I couldn't find someone to cover my shift.

9. My Family

Former Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here brought me more than a way to pay my bills. It introduced me to the people I would soon consider my best friends. The Caribou culture facilitates a family-like atmosphere in the workplace. It garners respect for one another and an enjoyable friendly work environment.

Cons

Minimum wage, and unfortunately has closed many of its locations

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on making caribou coworkers feel like your family.

10. Like family, but corporate ran poorly

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers felt like a family, great customer base

Cons

Poorly run corporate, management played favorites for schedule and location etc. given 7 days notice that all local stores were closing

Advice to Management

Pay your hourly employees a little more, each corporate position should have to work in a store one day a week!

Ethics are questionable with the company

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Eagan, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tips
    Easy to move up
    I always felt safe because of the more than one person at all times policy. You couldn't be alone in the store and that made me feel safer.

Cons

No PTO for part timers
    benefits are completely based on hours you work
    No breaks unless you work more than eight hours
    Work/Life balance is tough because of the extreme hours

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see breaks be a thing. Burn out is so easy when you're not given a break and really need one. PTO is so important. When you go on a week's vacation and miss out an entire week of pay, that really messes up your finances.