Caribou Coffee

Updated December 16, 2014
3.2

Caribou Coffee President and CEO Mike Tattersfield
Mike Tattersfield

Pros
  • Plus you get a free half pound of coffee every week and a free shift drink every time you work (in 17 reviews)

• Free 1/2 pound of beans every week (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management lack of communication and really poor distribution of product (in 25 reviews)

• There were no shift supervisors and the storage room was a mess (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun job with great coffee!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great customer interaction and the company has endless learning resources. A laid back company compared to Starbucks. They are great about employee development and advancement opportunities.

Cons

The pay is typical coffee shop pay which is low. They figure tips make up for it, but tips aren't consistent.

Corporate doesn't take advice from actual store employees when implementing changes. Store employees know best what does and doesn't work.

Upper Management Lies..We wont change a thing when we sold..3 months, bunch of people were laid off when 100's of stores

Former Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - District Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coffee enviroment in general is fun no matter which coffee place you work for. Discount on beans, free drinks.

Cons

Fast paced, early hours, learning to be a pro at the bar, scheduling inconsistent. Marketing inconsistent.

Gave up on North Carolina too soon.

Does not care about employees

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the store level, I enjoyed the job. I liked the people I worked with and the customers. The coffee was good.

Cons

No loyalty to the employees. Mismanagement at the district level. Managers have no respect for each other. Inability to have a social life. This job is not worth the pain. I was one of the managers who was let go of when they pull out of every market but MN. I never felt so good as the first week I was unemployed. It was like a giant boulder had been lifted from me.

Great co-workers, terrible corporate management.

Former Employee - Team Member in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Columbus, OH

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The fellow employees have all become personal friends to me even after leaving, and are just generally great people. Even the management at the store level was usually good.

Cons

The corporate management was clueless, especially in trying to make up ground against certain other large coffee retailers, which often led to miscommunication and added responsibility that shouldn't have been given to employees making minimum wage or slightly above.

Stop trying to BE that other coffee company and be yourself, be different, and make an example by treating employees better and paying them a living wage (like the other guy does/did).

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and employees are great most of the time. District managers or anyone who wants to move higher in the company have to bend over backwards for all kinds of crapy situations

Cons

Company is changing and pressure from above creates job instability; lots of expectations in terms of pushing for sales year round, there's really no post holiday break anymore. Contests because "this coffee is the best coffee ever" are old . Trust in upper management is just not there.

let managers be in charge of their people and trust them more. we do not need to fire every employee who makes one or two mistakes!

Unfair, poor management.

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The guests were very happy to be there.

Cons

Leadership was lacking passion for people.

AMAZING!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back environment, the managers were pretty great to work with.

Cons

The pay was pretty low but made up with tip.

No longer has identity and fails to live to own mission.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Winnetka, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Winnetka, IL

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Store employees are great to work with and lead. Unlimited creativity from them.
    Best coffee around.
    My store was connected to the best book store around.

Cons

Corporate and district Management's inability to even comprehend mission statement.
    Work life balance nonexistent.
    Constant pressure to fire great employees, "because their hourly wage is too high."
    Trying to be the competition and losing its history.
    Managed to a report of promotional items sold. Not profitability or overall same store sales.

If you create a culture statement, live by it!
    Our Guests: Through Quality, Innovation, Connection.
    Our Team: Listening, Developing, Recognizing.
    Our Community: Being Fair, Accepting, and Responsible.
    Our Personality: Being Fun, Passionate, and Authentic.

It was ok

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee, able to make my own schedule, time to interact and get to know customers.

Cons

Absolutely no advertising or marketing. Wouldn't spend money to fix/update stores, managers had to come up with their own marketing strategies, many times POP would come in with misspelling. Always hired from outside to fill higher positions, no training offered for advancement. Shift supervisors were often high school/ college kids who were just getting through college so they didn't care about the store performance, could have been remedied by offering more money for those positions. Corporate would often roll out new promotions and wouldn't be able to supply enough of the product so we would often run out the day we received a shipment because they would cap how much product we could order, example: pumpkin syrup.

Not much to say since they ended up closing a lot of their stores. I would say invest in your company more and you'll see a return. Don't let stores operate with malfunctioning equipment and have a plan for marketing and supporting your stores to help build sales in areas where Starbucks rules and no one knows what caribou coffee is.

Great start - 5 years ago. Last 18 months was a nightmare

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to learn ins and outs of business if you are willing to take opportunities and stand up for yourself (you have to ask/push - certainly won't be handed to you). Learned HR, recruiting, interviewing, training, development planning, finance, operations management, B2B marketing, and customer service. You can personally build a great team and have great peers ... it just takes work.

Cons

Very poor compensation for level of responsibility and workload. Poor time off policies (cafes are open 365 days a year). Poor communication from upper level management to the field - which is where the actual money is made. Dealing with an entitled public in an urban was soul crushing. Long history of poor facilities management - constant pressure to keep sales flowing while dealing with broken frigs, doors, bathrooms. Culture and leadership were just lip service.

Good luck being the "boutique" coffee company in MN. Can only hope that for my peers still with the company, things will be better once all other states have converted to Peet's Coffee and Tea.