Caribou Coffee Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
305 reviews filtered by

1. I have had a good positive community to work in.

Current Employee - Barista/Greeter in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Barista/Greeter in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've learned to make coffee drinks, tips, schedule is flexible

Cons

I wish it wasn't the fast food of coffee, because it's impossible sometimes to make a quality drink when you have a long line that has to be gotten through ASAP.

2. Caribou Excellence

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Caribou Coffee

Pros

Great people who are encouraging through training and open to creative ideas.

Cons

People have different ideas and aren't always so excited to work there.

Love you guys!

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, manageable work load, high support from Regional management and above, fun atmosphere, and great focus on career development.

Cons

Salaries need to be a little more competitive.

Keep up the great work!

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Training Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Training Store Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent trend of care for both customers and employees.
    Free coffee
    Fun, relaxed work environment
    Make your own schedule
    Wonderful benefits

Cons

Sales goals are not an option or a goal - they must be met at any expense
    No work life balance. Expect to get up at 3:30AM or work as late as 12:30AM in some locations
    You are never off of work. Calls can come at anytime and you are expected to answer
    Little to no room to move up past store management

Don't forget what made your company great. Focus on employees and customer relationships and sales will follow just as they have the last decade. This crazy push for sales, comps, and cold calling is not in the spirit of Caribou.

6. Management,Management,Management!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Barista in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Barista in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting interesting people
    Learning how to make those delicious drinks
    Co-workers(we're all in the struggle together)

Cons

Management
    Training
    High Turn-over
    Low pay
    Inconsistent Hours
    Measly raises not reflective of performance

Hire competent managers, so the team members/barista's don't have to do all the training.

7. Lot's of Promises. . . No Follow Through

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Manager compensation has improved. Benefits are good. Great job for high school or college student.

Cons

Very long hours. Lot's of "talk" about cultural values but really not carried through consistently. Slogan amongst many managers "where dreams go to die". Very sad to see the company "selling out" on what was once amazing values. Focus on people went out the window. Now very focused on the bottom line at all cost. Training is no longer an expected but rather something that is "earned".

Work-life balance and Core Values need to be addressed. The attitude of some of middle management is very arrogant. Very out of touch with those in the field and unwilling to listen to Store managers.

8. Nice

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

None that I can think of

Fun fast paced job, but hard to live off of.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Company Culture. Comprehensive training program.

Cons

Poor pay and very high turn over. It is not fun to be training/working with all new employees all the time. The work life balance is off, especially for the store managers. They say they want you to have a balance but it can take over. They say they want you to go home if your sick but it is really not possible for coverage.

I think having some sort of incentives in place for working for an extended period of time. Maybe close a few more stores and focus on a few. Pay your employees more so you don't have to spend so much on training. Create more of a family that stays for a long time.

10. Horrible, DON'T WORK HERE!!!

Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee, Free shift drink

Cons

1. Its a lie... its is not flexible. I am a high school student who is an athlete and apart of many clubs at school, so I am very busy. The Caribou I work at did not consider my requested days off.There was a Saturday that I requested 1 month prior to the day and I was still given the day. I was physically out of town for a college visit so I had no way to go, so I was written up for No Call No Show, even though I did let my manager know a month ahead, funny thing was 4 other people go that day off that requested it after me. Another thing is there were time where I was scheduled on days requested off with out any asking me. I mean at lease notify me or ask me why I requested the day off, this one time I had an ACT prep test and I requested the day off for it and I was told by the manager that she wasn't going to schedule me, next thing I know I had to come in that day.

2.That leads me to the biggest issue, not being treated equally. Now I don't want to dive in to the racial thing but I am African american and I am the youngest person to work at my store. 16 years old. But my point is, i feel like I am treated different from my co-workers. For example when requesting days off my co-workers tend to get it instead of me, I don't see the reasoning there. Another example would be the littlest comment that is made by the store manager towards me when I make a mistake, they are sarcastic and low key negative , they're just presented in a "nice" manner. Another example is when I came in exactly 2 minutes late and I was scolded about coming to work on time and being at my station exactly at the correct time, while on the other had ive seen my co-workers show up later than me and the manager said absolutely nothing to them.

3. No sick days apparently, and the don't follow their own rule books. I had an injury at a soccer game about 4 hours prior to the time I was supposed to be at work. My right ankle was the size of a tennis ball and was purple. I call in a soon as possible, just about 3 hours prior and talked to the manager and told her about my situation, at the moment I was with a physician getting my foot treated. I was told to stay off my foot for a while because it was a pretty bad sprain. I told the manager and she straight up told me good luck finding someone to cover you. Which I found disappointing because how are you going to run a business when not all of your employees can preform 100%. Plus I had no assistance finding someone last minute to cover, I understand that its my responsibility to find someone but give me a break, I was in the middle of pain and chaos. Plus the handbook states that I have 2 hours prior to call in for an emergency which I did and nothing was taken into consideration. I worked a 7 hour shift with one food sprained. It was horrible, at least give me the day off.

4. Training is horrible. They had a bunch of new people hired. One girl was working for about a month and wasn't trained on cold bar, and was scheduled a bunch of morning shifts and was put on cold bar, so basically was told to learn from mistakes. Plus the manager was breathing down her neck which made things worse. Thank god my training process was good, but after working their a while things changed.

5. No rewards, appreciation, nothing like that. Not good enough recognition

6. No breaks. I know its a law to give your workers a break if they work 8 hour shift or more. Non of given here at caribou. Which I think is BS. I would come in at 7AM and work will 3PM, I dont get a lunch break becasue its busy, and even after a rush we have to catch up on cleaning and restocking, and when I ask for a lunch break I have to complete a task before I do so, and this is a problem because I would see the manager siting in the back eating and n the computer doing their manager stuff, so my question is why do you get to eat when ever you want, and I have to complete a task before I do so, when its past lunch, and by the time im done with the task there is another rush. In the end only about 30% of break requests are effective when I work busy mornings. I understand its busy, but I haven't eaten for 8 hours, and its past lunch, don't expect me to have 100% energy, I am human and need food to work. And there are 6-7 others that can cover my position for just 3 minutes while I have a bite, even though the law requires a break on a 8+ hour shift.

7. No employee feed back. This just shows how much caribou cares about the workers. There is not one thing that I can fill out to tell caribou about my work experience. This tells me that they dont care about me or my co workers. But I don't blame them, if they did have something like that I dont know how they would handle all the negative comments.

But In the end its all about attitude, I still show up to work, do my part and leave. My job description is now "Deal with BS", its "Serve people coffee with a smile" Ill continue to do that. Just dont expect me to be friends with my co workers or manager, Ill treat you the way you treat me.

Step up your game, a good business begins with your employees. If the workers are happy they will deliver positive results. Don't breath down their neck, everyone makes mistakes. ESPECIALLY when they are not given proper training.
    And why don't you try asking your employees about their work experience at caribou.

11. High Turnover, Low Pay.

Former Employee - Team Member in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Team Member in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free half pound of coffee a week, free shift drink every shift. All the drinks you can make while nobody is looking.

Cons

Poor management, draconian corporate policies that are thankfully not usually followed.

Pay people more, and maybe you won't have 75% annual turnover.