Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

CEO

Challenging at times.

Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large facility, lots of experiences.

Cons

Management is difficult to reach at times.

Huge, level one trauma center

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Progressive,Office Culture, Personal Growth, co-workers

Cons

Boss takes credit for everyone else's work
    Little room to advance professionally
    Younger people are chosen over older workers to move up the ladder

A person doesn't have to work here 30 years to make a contribution to the organization

Sorry I thought this might be a good company to work for. If I knew then what I know now I would have never applied.

Current Employee - Environmental Services ED in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Environmental Services ED in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the ED most of the employees are nice.

Cons

No sort if work-life, perks, benefits or respect for a enviromental services person. Management could care less if you make it or not. They work you till you drop and complain if you stop to rest even for a second. The pay is only $ 9.18 per hour and they have thier pick off the poor people who can't get a better job. I was told in a department meeting if you don't like it leave. Other employees in the ED ie... Nurses and such know how we are treated and most feel sorry for us but no one can or will do anything for the EVS crew. SAD SAD SAD

Just read the cons section people. You managers put EVS through hell everyday.

A phenomenal place to work!! I loved it there.

I worked at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Pros

Excellent management, magnet hospital, beautiful location in the mountains, great pay, team attitude, tuition reimbursement, medical school, latest equipment and ability to move up the ladder or around within the system.

Cons

Staffing can be an issue as it is everywhere in the medical community. Nurses need to be BSN or working on it.

Listen to your staff. They have great ideas.

Amedisys home health

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Pros

You are autonomous and can work long hard hours.

Cons

You have to self teach yourself nearly everything in the on boarding process.

People are not machines. There is no reason to assume people want to work 12 hour days routinely.

Great place to start your nursing career with plenty of learning opportunities.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large regional teaching hospital with variety of career opportunities for new nurses.
    Plenty of educational opportunities offered.

Cons

Pay scale is on the extreme low end of the profession for a 4-year degreed nurse and annual raises are a joke.
    For the largest healthcare organization in the region, the health benefits offered are embarrassing.

There is a mass exodus of experienced staff (doctors, nurses, etc.) for a reason. Being one of the largest employers in southwest Virginia gives you the ability to dictate pay, quality of benefits and work-life balance, but ultimately employees will leave (or moral will suffer greatly) if they feel they are not being treated fairly.

Fair employer with many opprotunities for fresh out of school employees

Current Employee - Physician Assistant Or Pharmacist in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant Or Pharmacist in Roanoke, VA

Pros

stable employment with moderate to low pay.

Cons

Teaching hospital with too many residents with constant revolving rotations

Disillusioning

Former Employee - Safety Attendant in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Safety Attendant in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the opportunity of working with many skilled, caring individuals.My position gave me an opportunity to offer compassion and care to people who were going through very traumatic times.

Cons

Disappointed that many of the doctors and nurses seemed indiffernt to the patients needs. Sometimes a patient would have to wait half an hour or more for a nurse to respond to the call button. Delay in patient care was often the result of paperwork logjams at shift changes. Best staff to work with were the ICU nurses on 9 South.

Remember that your patients are customers with medical needs. The patients should be your first and greatest concern. Attitude begins at the head and trickles down.

Carilion Employee

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Pros

I enjoy the people that I work with including the people who manage the department. The managers support your ideas and promote change. The facility itself is in great condition. There are also paramedics, CAs, and housekeeping as well which helps the nurses provide better care for their patient's.

Cons

The salary is low. Carilion offers very little money to their nurses. There is no benefit to staying for the long term. Often times nurses get their year or two of experience and then leave. This means the nurses that stay spend a lot of their time orienting new and very inexperienced nurses without being compensated.

I think if Carilion looked at how much it spends on orienting new nurses every year and then considered how much they are willing to pay their seasoned nurses they would find it makes way more sense to spend more money trying to keep the nurses they already have. In addition, inexperienced nurses also have the potential to lead to very expensive lawsuits. Nurses is SW VA get paid lower than nurses in any other area of VA and in my opinion that is nothing to be proud of.