Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

CEO

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It enabled me for personal growth, and promotions

Cons

Benefit package was very impressive.

Middling Employment

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's fast paced and busy. You're never without something to do. There are plenty of opportunities for overtime and they are flexible with days off, schedule changes, and sick leave. In addition the training for your job is very good and you'll seldom be left wondering what to do as most staff members are knowledgeable and friendly with helping new team members. Overall an atmosphere of teamwork. Management will listen if you have an issue and for the most part try hard to solve problems that don't conflict with department policy.

Cons

The ability for promotion within the department is nearly nonexistent and schedules are seldom consistent due to high turnover. The job itself is very very stressful and people burnout fast. Due to this team members quit frequently and the staffing needs fluctuate. You can expect to work holidays due the facility being a full service hospital. In addition pay is not competitive with less stressful positions of similar skill level offered at different organizations. Management is prone to wasting their budget on equipment that doesn't work and wasting time enforcing policy which has nothing to do with making the department more efficient. They also grade you every month on your performance using a lot of arbitrary statistics which can be easily gamed once you know how they're measured.

Pay employees better. The bottom line is that turnover is killing the department at all levels. You can't expect employees to complete more and more tasks and penalize them for failing but not reward them for succeeding. In addition you can't move goal posts and assume employees wont notice. It's pretty simple: treat employees ethically and reward them appropriately. Resources are wasted on solving problems that don't exist.

Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Patient Representative in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Patient Representative in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no Pros unless you count being able to work the on Flex-Time and setting your on schedule.

Cons

Has a VERY Hostile work environment and it has nothing to do with the patients. The people who work there are Hateful. You have to work 12 hour shifts with no breaks at all. They also have no excused absences even with a doctor's not and trust me you stay sick for at least the first year there. Also there are too many gray areas in many procedures. Everyone there complains constantly about how much they hate their job. Worst place I have EVER worked by far. Also recently the raised the cost of health insurance and lowered the actual coverage, increasing the out-of-pocket cost a great deal.

Start treating the employees better and make sure they are properly trained. Make getting a break a must in company policy. These two simple things to start with would help the employees greatly.

Huge, level one trauma center

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Progressive,Office Culture, Personal Growth, co-workers

Cons

Boss takes credit for everyone else's work
    Little room to advance professionally
    Younger people are chosen over older workers to move up the ladder

A person doesn't have to work here 30 years to make a contribution to the organization

Challenging at times.

Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large facility, lots of experiences.

Cons

Management is difficult to reach at times.

Sorry I thought this might be a good company to work for. If I knew then what I know now I would have never applied.

Current Employee - Environmental Services ED in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Environmental Services ED in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the ED most of the employees are nice.

Cons

No sort if work-life, perks, benefits or respect for a enviromental services person. Management could care less if you make it or not. They work you till you drop and complain if you stop to rest even for a second. The pay is only $ 9.18 per hour and they have thier pick off the poor people who can't get a better job. I was told in a department meeting if you don't like it leave. Other employees in the ED ie... Nurses and such know how we are treated and most feel sorry for us but no one can or will do anything for the EVS crew. SAD SAD SAD

Just read the cons section people. You managers put EVS through hell everyday.

A phenomenal place to work!! I loved it there.

I worked at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Pros

Excellent management, magnet hospital, beautiful location in the mountains, great pay, team attitude, tuition reimbursement, medical school, latest equipment and ability to move up the ladder or around within the system.

Cons

Staffing can be an issue as it is everywhere in the medical community. Nurses need to be BSN or working on it.

Listen to your staff. They have great ideas.

Amedisys home health

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital

Pros

You are autonomous and can work long hard hours.

Cons

You have to self teach yourself nearly everything in the on boarding process.

People are not machines. There is no reason to assume people want to work 12 hour days routinely.

Great place to start your nursing career with plenty of learning opportunities.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large regional teaching hospital with variety of career opportunities for new nurses.
    Plenty of educational opportunities offered.

Cons

Pay scale is on the extreme low end of the profession for a 4-year degreed nurse and annual raises are a joke.
    For the largest healthcare organization in the region, the health benefits offered are embarrassing.

There is a mass exodus of experienced staff (doctors, nurses, etc.) for a reason. Being one of the largest employers in southwest Virginia gives you the ability to dictate pay, quality of benefits and work-life balance, but ultimately employees will leave (or moral will suffer greatly) if they feel they are not being treated fairly.

Fair employer with many opprotunities for fresh out of school employees

Current Employee - Physician Assistant Or Pharmacist in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant Or Pharmacist in Roanoke, VA

Pros

stable employment with moderate to low pay.

Cons

Teaching hospital with too many residents with constant revolving rotations