Caring.com

Updated May 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Andy Cohen

Excellent company to work for!

Senior Membership Adviser (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsOutstanding website. Excellent product with people who truly care. I have been in sales for 25 years. Bottom line for me is this.....if the product is excellent and the people truly care about their clients, it is a win win situation. Caring.com is top notch with open minded management willing to listen and change if necessary to take care of not only the consumers but the advertisers on our site. I am honored to work at Caring.com. Five star all the way!

ConsAfter almost four years...I am still looking for the "cons".....I can't find any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. We have gone through no one knowing our name when I called from "caring.com" to almost everyone knowing our name when I call....that is progress and keeping our eyes on the ball!

Great & Fair Place to Work!

Director (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe CEO is an honest leader who is great to work for and with. The team culture is very open with employees and with a transparent culture and works hard to stick to the company mission of helping loved ones find the right caregiving information and support that they need.

ConsAt this time I have no cons

A place where hard work is recognized

San Mateo, CA

ProsHard work, talent and intelligence are all recognized here. Autonomy is encouraged and expected here, everyone is busy and there's no time or resources for micromanagement. The company's growth has been great and internal promotions are common. People often move into new departments as their interests change and the company is very committed to keeping good employees happy. The office is in a good location and has lots of natural light and a nice outdoor space for breaks. The management and company are mission-driven, and you definitely see and feel your contribution to society through your work.

ConsThe office could benefit from some aesthetic updates . . . and for some reason people are really bad at recycling here. Day-to-day perks could be better too- snacks are generally unhealthy and there's definitely not much of a budget for them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well Managed Business with A Social Mission

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsI have worked for this company for four years. There have been some organizational changes over the years, including a few significant shifts of the business model, but these strategic adjustments made it more possible for the organization to grow and better serve its social mission of helping family caregivers of older adults. I have found the leadership team to be accessible, open, and honest, and not punitive if/when there have been contradictory opinions brought to their attention. Employees are encouraged to share their ideas (and roll up their sleeves) to help improve and expand Caring.com's services. In many roles throughout the company, it is those who are flexible, talented, and hard-working who most thrive -- it's a fast-paced environment, the subject matter can be very serious and sad, but we're a collaborative team and at the end of the day, we know we're helping millions of people and that makes the challenges that come up so worth it. Plus, we have lots of fun. I find myself laughing with colleagues nearly every day, even on the tough days, and there are regularly social gatherings, holiday observances, and job perks (like foos ball games and free snacks). There is also room for professional growth (both in terms of promotion within a particular department and in trying new positions and/or projects in other areas of the company).

ConsWhen I first started with the company, the office was a real downer -- dark/drab, lacking amenities, and frankly, an embarrassment when bringing in external guests for meetings. But a couple years ago we moved upstairs and took over an entire floor -- we now have lots of natural light, a wrap-around outdoor deck, a full kitchen, more conference rooms, nicer cubicles and floor plan, and overall a better work environment. One remaining "con" though: the office temperature is inconsistent. Some desks are under vents in direct path of freezing air conditioning on hot days, or conversely under a lot of heat on cold days (when heater is cranked up). I try to dress accordingly, and ask the office manager for adjustment as needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider expanding HR services for onboarding and ongoing training. For example, there are often guest speakers at the company meetings -- who provide periodic information about their focus area and results within the organization. Consider making those types of presentations more frequent, and/or adding a 'learn at lunch' series to support more cross-departmental education and skills sharing.

Family Advisor Position= Boiler Room Salesman

Family Advisor (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsEvery now and then you feel like you actually helped someone find assisted living.

ConsEvery minute of your day is tracked and recorded. Your calls are timed and if you exceed you "allotted" time per call, you get "coaching" by the management.

We told people that we were going to HELP them but if they didn't have at least 3-5K a month income, we mark them as "not qualified" and they were dumped.
    We were also told not to waste time helping those that are "not qualified" and to move onto the next call, even though we had a list of agencies that could help those in need.

I was also told to ONLY tell the customers about the communities that paid referral money to Caring.com (even if there was a better option--like lower cost, etc. for the caller. )

The name of this company is a joke. Caring is one thing they DON'T do.
    There is a HIGH turnover in the call centre so nobody wants to talk to you or be kind to you because they figure you will be gone in a few weeks…so, many of the other employees ignore the Family Advisors.

The overall moral in the office is depressing. Every week the Family Advisors have their job threatened. IF you are not in the top percent of the board, your job is in jeopardy.

Management wants everyone tethered to their desks with headphones, an auto dialer/timer, etc. and if you walk around and clear your head, the management gives you dirty looks or just tells you to get back on the phone. Every MOVE/WORD/MINUTE is recorded!
    EVEN if you make your 80-100 phone calls per day, they want you to stay on line and keep dialing.

Salary was also a lie. They start you at 40K and state that you will make at least another 15K a year in bonus money. Bonus is paid on "Move In's" (when seniors move into a paying community.) Each move-in is 100.00, however; Don't count on collecting your bonus.
    Caring.com will state that the community rejected the lead due to it being a "previously received lead." So your 500.00 bonus drops to 300.00 and then you get in trouble for not having enough move-ins for the month and your job is on the line, AGAIN.
    They also take 2 months to pay your bonus. AND when you leave, they don't pay you your bonus/commission. They keep it.

In this position you are not a "Family Advisor."
    You are an annoying phone salesman that calls people at home or their cell phone over 25 times. The auto-dialer calls once, then in five minutes, then every hour--sometimes 8-10 times a day, the same people get called.
    This IS harassment…it is the job.

Do NOT walk away from this job/company…RUN!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit your mission statement because you're off base.

Less Caring, More Dot com

Family Advisor (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe noble mission of offering a free, national, senior-care resource staffed by family advisors who have solid eldercare backgrounds, smartly supported by excellent tech and content staff.

ConsUnclear leadership of the Family Advisors, steeped in fear-based tactics, including sudden termination justified by wobbly stats, and a "Red Queen" approach (referencing "Alice in Wonderland" here) which leaves all Family Advisors and the their direct managers trembling daily in their boots. It used to be a nice place to work---now it's miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAndy Cohen, CEO, is a good guy, but I think he doesn't quite get what's happening in his own company, as his main job right now is to raise money. What he isn't seeing is how this company is increasingly losing credibility within the eldercare industry (with whom Caring is supposed to be partnering) and with the audience of caregivers because of the Family Advisor directorship's questionable choices. The sales staff routinely tells prospective communities that Caring.com never "calls and calls, hunting caregiver clients down like dogs," and yet that is exactly what the Family Advisors are asked to do. We have all seen (and experienced) stressed caregivers called multiple times (as in 20-30 times) during the course of a week---and when those caregivers finally do answer the phone, they are understandably angry. Many of us have had people threaten to take Caring.com to the Better Business Bureau.

Membership Advisor

Membership Advisor (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsOn the up side the CEO is genuine and open. Content on the site is very good for researching answers for Elder Care.

ConsUnfortunately can't say the same for sales side of the house. Many of the initial sales team and leaders, including some of the original partners recently left the company. Sales team is a revolving door no consistency. Company bleeding heavily, from internal expenditures & are attempting to save a failing system. Commission structure changed several times in last few months. Training is vague w/unachievable goals based on pricing structure per client w/o real ROI.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegroup and get some real managers in there who have had real world experience with online advertising sales perhaps a Yellow Book or Yelp type manager might be better suited for this company. Great content, poor management, dwindling sales team....

Overall, a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsYou feel you actually make a difference in people's lives.

ConsNot very open to telecommute positions.

I was a "one man show" that represented Ad Operations, that unfortunately had no voice in any Ad Ops decision making.

Ad Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsThe website and its content and purpose is a major reason to work for Caring.

ConsThe company is still in a start-up phase, with little direction from Sr. Mgmt.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advise I left to Mgmt. was to work better together with all groups, and to allow more feedback from all employees (esp employees with start-up experience).

Worked for Caring.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Caring.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Caring.com CEO Andy Cohen. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Caring.com employees.