Caring.com

Updated September 2, 2014
Updated September 2, 2014
3.7

Andy Cohen

Brilliant executive team, strong product team

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Executive team: Brilliant. Supportive, insightful, highly analytical. Every leadership decision is not only highly calculated, but collaborated within the team. Executive team manages to be extremely effective while maintaining a strong organic component. Always quick to praise small or large victories, and humbly admit when mistakes are made. They hold their subordinates accountable just as much as they hold themselves accountable.

Product team: Hires effective, agile product team members. Very high standards for candidates with intense interview processes. Only hires top tier talent. Most people here hold 2-3 major responsibilities outside of their job description. Team consists of 7 engineers, 3 product managers, 1 data scientist, 1 designer.

Company culture / work life balance: You are expected to exceed the nature of your position, and investigate areas of growth. Most employees either bring lunch, or order take out and work through lunch. The office is quiet and focused. The office has very few perks, save coffee and a foosball table. Some snacks, but no pantry or stacked fridge.

The upside to the culture? You are free to set your own hours, work from home, or take time for errands. The company culture expects you to meet and exceed your core responsibilities, but is very flexible and will allow you to set your work around your personal life, not vice versa. Most people leave the office before 6pm.

Cons

Perks. No offsite events, food catered just once a month. No pantry, no beverages, just water, coffee, and peanuts.

A cohesive metrics driven company led by really smart executives

I have been working at Caring.com full-time

Pros

A great working culture; collaborative and efficient. The group here is fun, mature, and hardworking; minimal drama and strategic conflict. It's a no nonsense outfit in all the right ways. The company moves very quickly. The executive team is super transparent and focused on the right goals.

Cons

Location isn't glamorous - kind of a dismal stretch of El Camino Real.

Excellent company to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Membership Adviser in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Membership Adviser in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding website. Excellent product with people who truly care. I have been in sales for 25 years. Bottom line for me is this.....if the product is excellent and the people truly care about their clients, it is a win win situation. Caring.com is top notch with open minded management willing to listen and change if necessary to take care of not only the consumers but the advertisers on our site. I am honored to work at Caring.com. Five star all the way!

Cons

After almost four years...I am still looking for the "cons".....I can't find any.

Keep doing what you are doing. We have gone through no one knowing our name when I called from "caring.com" to almost everyone knowing our name when I call....that is progress and keeping our eyes on the ball!

Great & Fair Place to Work!

Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The CEO is an honest leader who is great to work for and with. The team culture is very open with employees and with a transparent culture and works hard to stick to the company mission of helping loved ones find the right caregiving information and support that they need.

Cons

At this time I have no cons

A place where hard work is recognized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work, talent and intelligence are all recognized here. Autonomy is encouraged and expected here, everyone is busy and there's no time or resources for micromanagement. The company's growth has been great and internal promotions are common. People often move into new departments as their interests change and the company is very committed to keeping good employees happy. The office is in a good location and has lots of natural light and a nice outdoor space for breaks. The management and company are mission-driven, and you definitely see and feel your contribution to society through your work.

Cons

The office could benefit from some aesthetic updates . . . and for some reason people are really bad at recycling here. Day-to-day perks could be better too- snacks are generally unhealthy and there's definitely not much of a budget for them.

Well Managed Business with A Social Mission

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for this company for four years. There have been some organizational changes over the years, including a few significant shifts of the business model, but these strategic adjustments made it more possible for the organization to grow and better serve its social mission of helping family caregivers of older adults. I have found the leadership team to be accessible, open, and honest, and not punitive if/when there have been contradictory opinions brought to their attention. Employees are encouraged to share their ideas (and roll up their sleeves) to help improve and expand Caring.com's services. In many roles throughout the company, it is those who are flexible, talented, and hard-working who most thrive -- it's a fast-paced environment, the subject matter can be very serious and sad, but we're a collaborative team and at the end of the day, we know we're helping millions of people and that makes the challenges that come up so worth it. Plus, we have lots of fun. I find myself laughing with colleagues nearly every day, even on the tough days, and there are regularly social gatherings, holiday observances, and job perks (like foos ball games and free snacks). There is also room for professional growth (both in terms of promotion within a particular department and in trying new positions and/or projects in other areas of the company).

Cons

When I first started with the company, the office was a real downer -- dark/drab, lacking amenities, and frankly, an embarrassment when bringing in external guests for meetings. But a couple years ago we moved upstairs and took over an entire floor -- we now have lots of natural light, a wrap-around outdoor deck, a full kitchen, more conference rooms, nicer cubicles and floor plan, and overall a better work environment. One remaining "con" though: the office temperature is inconsistent. Some desks are under vents in direct path of freezing air conditioning on hot days, or conversely under a lot of heat on cold days (when heater is cranked up). I try to dress accordingly, and ask the office manager for adjustment as needed.

Consider expanding HR services for onboarding and ongoing training. For example, there are often guest speakers at the company meetings -- who provide periodic information about their focus area and results within the organization. Consider making those types of presentations more frequent, and/or adding a 'learn at lunch' series to support more cross-departmental education and skills sharing.

Family Advisor Position= Boiler Room Salesman

Former Employee - Family Advisor in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Family Advisor in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Caring.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Every now and then you feel like you actually helped someone find assisted living.

Cons

Every minute of your day is tracked and recorded. Your calls are timed and if you exceed you "allotted" time per call, you get "coaching" by the management.

We told people that we were going to HELP them but if they didn't have at least 3-5K a month income, we mark them as "not qualified" and they were dumped.
    We were also told not to waste time helping those that are "not qualified" and to move onto the next call, even though we had a list of agencies that could help those in need.

I was also told to ONLY tell the customers about the communities that paid referral money to Caring.com (even if there was a better option--like lower cost, etc. for the caller. )

The name of this company is a joke. Caring is one thing they DON'T do.
    There is a HIGH turnover in the call centre so nobody wants to talk to you or be kind to you because they figure you will be gone in a few weeks…so, many of the other employees ignore the Family Advisors.

The overall moral in the office is depressing. Every week the Family Advisors have their job threatened. IF you are not in the top percent of the board, your job is in jeopardy.

Management wants everyone tethered to their desks with headphones, an auto dialer/timer, etc. and if you walk around and clear your head, the management gives you dirty looks or just tells you to get back on the phone. Every MOVE/WORD/MINUTE is recorded!
    EVEN if you make your 80-100 phone calls per day, they want you to stay on line and keep dialing.

Salary was also a lie. They start you at 40K and state that you will make at least another 15K a year in bonus money. Bonus is paid on "Move In's" (when seniors move into a paying community.) Each move-in is 100.00, however; Don't count on collecting your bonus.
    Caring.com will state that the community rejected the lead due to it being a "previously received lead." So your 500.00 bonus drops to 300.00 and then you get in trouble for not having enough move-ins for the month and your job is on the line, AGAIN.
    They also take 2 months to pay your bonus. AND when you leave, they don't pay you your bonus/commission. They keep it.

In this position you are not a "Family Advisor."
    You are an annoying phone salesman that calls people at home or their cell phone over 25 times. The auto-dialer calls once, then in five minutes, then every hour--sometimes 8-10 times a day, the same people get called.
    This IS harassment…it is the job.

Do NOT walk away from this job/company…RUN!!!

Revisit your mission statement because you're off base.

Less Caring, More Dot com

Current Employee - Family Advisor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Family Advisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The noble mission of offering a free, national, senior-care resource staffed by family advisors who have solid eldercare backgrounds, smartly supported by excellent tech and content staff.

Cons

Unclear leadership of the Family Advisors, steeped in fear-based tactics, including sudden termination justified by wobbly stats, and a "Red Queen" approach (referencing "Alice in Wonderland" here) which leaves all Family Advisors and the their direct managers trembling daily in their boots. It used to be a nice place to work---now it's miserable.

Andy Cohen, CEO, is a good guy, but I think he doesn't quite get what's happening in his own company, as his main job right now is to raise money. What he isn't seeing is how this company is increasingly losing credibility within the eldercare industry (with whom Caring is supposed to be partnering) and with the audience of caregivers because of the Family Advisor directorship's questionable choices. The sales staff routinely tells prospective communities that Caring.com never "calls and calls, hunting caregiver clients down like dogs," and yet that is exactly what the Family Advisors are asked to do. We have all seen (and experienced) stressed caregivers called multiple times (as in 20-30 times) during the course of a week---and when those caregivers finally do answer the phone, they are understandably angry. Many of us have had people threaten to take Caring.com to the Better Business Bureau.

Membership Advisor

Current Employee - Membership Advisor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Advisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Caring.com full-time (less than an year)

Pros

On the up side the CEO is genuine and open. Content on the site is very good for researching answers for Elder Care.

Cons

Unfortunately can't say the same for sales side of the house. Many of the initial sales team and leaders, including some of the original partners recently left the company. Sales team is a revolving door no consistency. Company bleeding heavily, from internal expenditures & are attempting to save a failing system. Commission structure changed several times in last few months. Training is vague w/unachievable goals based on pricing structure per client w/o real ROI.

Regroup and get some real managers in there who have had real world experience with online advertising sales perhaps a Yellow Book or Yelp type manager might be better suited for this company. Great content, poor management, dwindling sales team....

I was a "one man show" that represented Ad Operations, that unfortunately had no voice in any Ad Ops decision making.

Former Employee - Ad Operations Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Ad Operations Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Caring.com

Pros

The website and its content and purpose is a major reason to work for Caring.

Cons

The company is still in a start-up phase, with little direction from Sr. Mgmt.

My advise I left to Mgmt. was to work better together with all groups, and to allow more feedback from all employees (esp employees with start-up experience).