Carino's Italian Grill

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
3.5

Creed L. Ford III

Great Team to be apart of.

Former Employee - Server in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Waco, TX

I worked at Carino's Italian Grill part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent tips, managment generally friendly, I really enjoyed being apart of that team.

Cons

Sometimes the customers could get a little snippy.

Don't waste your time. They'll be closed soon.

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Carino's Italian Grill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good employees except for some of the upper management. Most of the corporate heads are under qualified and have absolutely no idea how to run a restaurant, so it's easy to stand out and look like a star.

Cons

It's a failing concept so doing your job is difficult because you're being cut back on hours and sufficient supplies. Management will cut down any employee about to go into overtime even if others have to pick up the load and even if customers don't receive proper service. (No wonder they're failing,) Upper management is rude and largely unprofessional. The first thing the area director said to me was "Who are you?" Not "Hi, I'm this person and I'm the area director." "It's nice to meet you, what's your name?" Bad first impression for sure. They seem to lack the understanding that the employer/employee relationship is a two way street and both parties need to feel satisfied. They seem to want to accumulate a staff that will tolerate being overworked and under-appreciated and that will be a happy slave.

Show that you appreciate your staff. Don't lead in a fear based management style. Treat your staff like human beings instead of slaves. If you show your staff that you care about their well being, they will go the extra mile for you. If you constantly hound them about the clock and make working conditions worse by not repairing things or ordering short because you don't want to spend money, they will resent you. A little bit of compassion and politeness goes a long way.

Good people, but complete lack of vision and leadership

I have been working at Carino's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people, loyal restaurant operators, decent product.

Cons

Zero leadership - no one is running the actual business.

Nepotism is keeping this company from getting better.

Retire. Sell the company. Something. This company needs a President/leader who's actually going to come to work every day, and define and execute a vision. You need to wipe the slate clean and redefine your brand - the Johnny Carino's brand is a complete mess which is why you have been bleeding sales for the last few years. Without drastic and significant changes in leadership and brand, this restaurant will continue to decline.

The pay and bennies weren't bad........

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Fargo, ND

I worked at Carino's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The monthly bonuses were nice perks and some of the managers were great to work with.

Cons

Upper management left the learning up to us, and offered little knowledge in some cases. No room for growth due to size of company.

Learn the job.

Overall Good

I have been working at Carino's Italian Grill

Pros

Advancement / Quality of life/ sometimes pay

Cons

Location, amount of management in the restaurant

Typical restaurant

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Carino's Italian Grill part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to make money based on your personality and work ethic (servers & bartenders), flexibility of scheduling for students.

Cons

Typical restaurant atmosphere: high stress for workers and management alike, lack of cohesion with employees (every man for himself), poorly trained managers.

GREAT place to work

Current Employee - Mid-Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Mid-Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Carino's Italian Grill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun, flexible company that really cares about it's employees.

Cons

The Economic downturn has negatively affected sales and profits the past couple years.

Continue to show your employees the VALUE they provide the company!

A restaurant's success is in it's employees....tho sometimes executives forget that.

Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Server in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Carino's Italian Grill part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, transfer ease, relaxed atmosphere both for the customer and the employees, great coworkers and teamwork focused serving staff.

Cons

Distracted management, unapproachable superiors, lack of appreciativeness of upper management, focuses on "the numbers" and not the people.

Please realize that the "customer is always right" doesn't always mean comping their food, and truly focus on the customer as a whole. Don't spend so much time worrying about what the area director thinks for the three hours he's in the building, and more time focused on the customers that are the reason we remain open, and those customers will not only keep coming back, but will bring new business with them.

It was a great stepping stone for me, I am glad I made the move and at the time I did.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Carino's Italian Grill full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great job to learn the basics, had a great learning experience with the training program and the culture used to be awesome.

Cons

No growth for people who are promoted from within. This used to be a huge part of the culture but this shifted to hire more outside employees.

N/A

Great company

Current Employee - Hostess in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Hostess in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Carino's Italian Grill part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. The management is outstanding and very approachable. Have had a great experience.

Cons

No cons for me at this point