Carl Zeiss Meditec

Be The First To
Add Photos

Carl Zeiss Meditec CEO Ludwin Monz

Ludwin Monz

Great brand -- now earn it back

Product Manager (Former Employee) Dublin, CA

ProsCompany has great brand that denotes excellent optics, durability, and customer service. Sales force is very knowledgeable. There are many people who have been there a long time and truly care about the company and its customers. Company has global reach providing opportunities for international travel and meeting the top thought leaders. Fairly stable place to work, not likely to get bought out by competitor. Technologies and diseases are very interesting. There are opportunities to make manufacturing and connectivity much better.

ConsCompany was complacent for years and now has to face increasing competition. Top management unsure how to do this, and makes decisions slowly. Seems paralyzed about fixing fundamental problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake stronger stance toward manufacturing quality.

Pays up if you are looking for real quiet place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dublin, CA

ProsIf you do not like to work under pressure, this is the place. New releases development time is measured in years, not months, deadlines can be extended and generally it is pretty relaxing.
    Benefits are good, time off is generous, and pay is not bad for what you do.
    And you get to create software that is actually used by almost every doctor out there; there is enormous satisfaction in seeing your brainchild at work.
    And you get plenty exposure to different aspects of medical devices world - hardware, systems, clicnical. So if medical is in your blood, you might consider it.

ConsThe exposure to new technologies in the field is not optimal; depending on current project in the spotlight you might end up shifted between projects at very short notice. Knowledge sharing is sub optimal, you will have to find your own way around in most cases; if you do not you may be reinventing the wheel and nobody is going to tell you about it.
    Overall, it depends on how willing you are to take initiative. The more you do the more responisbility you are taking, and that might backfire in the end. Oh, and do not hope for quck promotion, people work there for ten-fifteen years

Advice to Senior ManagementFresh blood infusion is badly needed. Make sure the pay is commensurate with the person's input, not the age. And dont reinvent the wheel

it was just a temping gig so I don't know the company inside out but it seemed ok. busy but quite friendly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI liked the office space and most of the staff was friendly. as a temp, it was easy to ask for help and advice to colleagues.

Conshectic work pace as it is often the case nowadays. hard to take a 5 minutes break.

Advice to Senior Managementnot so eco-friendly with their 5 pages invoices / 1 item a page ! time consuming to print as well as expensive to mail. that's all I can say as I was there for only a few days. oh and also... maybe consider taking clients orders by e-mail.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting beginning, disappointing end

Marketing Communications Intern (Former Employee) Oberkochen (Germany)

ProsCZM has a lot to offer career wise. A very international company with extensive reach and impressive product lineup. The marketing communications department is large and does a lot of important stuff. This means there's a lot to learn.

ConsIt seems there is a disconnect sometimes between the managers of interns and the interns themselves. In the MC department i heard several stories about previous interns who were mismanaged. Their bosses would make fun of them and everyone was quite rude. My managers seemingly did not see the need of feedback and saved their ball of frustrations until the end to give me a bad review and smash my confidence. Overall it boils down to people, if your bosses would be open and communicative enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a much better system to manage the care of interns. There has been a lot of horror stories of managers and coworkers being rude to interns, bullying them and lack of constructive feedback. This greatly takes away from the appeal of working there.

carl zeiss meditec berlin - experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosaccess to the complete zeiss family, market leaders in the market

Consless incentives as compared to other global companies

Field Service

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsStable company
    Friendly people
    Company vehicle
    Territory ownership

ConsSalary is not stable, only get paid by jobs.
    Disorganized
    Cant enforce its own SOPs or guidelines
    Sales distributors do not stick to policies
    Very close minded company

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeaking from engineers in the field, the only reason why the company has not lost their field force is because of the lack of jobs and the economy. Take a look at the pay structure and your sales distributors

My experience after one year.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsI'm passionate in my work. Can't do anything halfway.
    Love to analyse, playing with number and, by data-based analyses of markets, I can add my expertise to the strategy of my company.

ConsWould like that Marketing and Sales finally reach a common goal.
    Would like for management to understand better human needs. (Yaeh, maybe, that comes to "advices for management")

Its and OK place to work.

ProsCarl Zeiss Meditec is located in Dublin which is a short commute from the tri-valley and an easy reverse commute from the east bay or south bay. There are lots of retaurants and shopping within walking distance.

ConsMany of the managers and leads are more interested in promoting themselves then in promoting the business. Too many unproductive meetings, too much useless documentation, and too much office politics, leaves little time for real work.

Difficult at best.

Field Service Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsProducts are top rate. Service is spread very thin.

ConsManagement. Morals and ethics are not important.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery simple. Golden rule!

Excellent work environment!

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsMany Perks as a Field based employee; Spouse travel to Regional Meetings, Frequent Flyer miles etc....
    Managers empower the Service team. Plenty of OT; apporved as needed. I can set my own schedule.
    Managers have all come out of the Field, most from CZM
    Company Van can be driven by Spouse; Little things like this tell my wife the company is Employee family oriented.
    Excellent benefits and Incentive plan does not hurt either.
    No layoff in the past; this convinced me come on board as a full time employee!

ConsSlow to move on poor performers, Slow to change;
    CRM/SAP poor roll-out'painful CRM. To many long standing employees complaining about the old days.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix SAP/CRM at all cost. Invest in technology that make the Field team more productive. Bring back automation lost in the release of SAP/CRM

Worked for Carl Zeiss Meditec? Contribute to the Community!