Carl Zeiss Meditec Reviews

Carl Zeiss Meditec CEO Ludwin Monz
Ludwin Monz

1. Service management

I worked at Carl Zeiss Meditec

Pros

Carl Zeiss was a great place to work, not it is being squeezed to do more with less

Cons

Squeezed by a board who are out of touch with reality

Advice to Management

Get out in the real world

A company on the precipice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Tech, overall good people to work with, competitive benefits.. Traditionally European work culture which tended to be more "people" focused.. I write this in past-tense because this is trending the other way unfortunately (even in Europe). Great global community - there really are remarkably talented and personable people you will be working with here.

We took a hit recently in the marketplace, but the R&D and business management group seem to have taken the message well. With recent changes to upper management, the arrogant "you will buy the products WE want to make because we are Zeiss" culture is on the way out, and being replaced with a more customer serving / facing culture.

Cons

Un-healthy Sales & Service culture in the US market. There is a tremendous leadership vacuum here, morale seems to be especially low in Service / Customer Care.. There was recently a change at the top & there is a lot of hope for the "new guy" to turn things around.

Overall company morale is down due to a consultant company (think "the Bob's" from Office Space) combing through the company sniffing around for pennies. Layoffs can come seemingly at random.. There was a larger chunk (20 or so?) last October, then 1-5 per month since.

This is an "ongoing project" for the next ???, and is like a black cloud hanging over everyone who works here. Even when things are going well, have a good quarter, or successful accomplishment, this is in the back of everyone's mind..

Advice to Management

Make a decision, Make the change, be transparent. Don't drag it out in fear you will lose your talent.. You are losing them anyway, maybe for no reason.. EVERYONE thinks they are on the chopping block, even your A-players are out looking.

A company that has loses its innovation for a long time.

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer/Test Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work and life balance.

Cons

Slow for everything... Lack of Innovation for many years.

Good people working at a company with many challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec

Pros

My boss is very supportive and communicates effectively. Benefits include three weeks vacation and excellent vision plan. I work with a great group of people. Short commute.

Cons

Recent layoffs due to lower than expected earnings have affected morale. Budgets are very limited right now. Many departments are understaffed.

Advice to Management

Continue having monthly and quarterly all employee meetings to keep communication lines open and reduce rumors circulating in the work place.

6. No Customer Service only Revenue driven.

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Member in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec

Pros

Eye Care products and solutions. High standard of manufacturing quality. Over the years has brought many innovative market disrupting products to the market. A past leader of Eye Care products.

Cons

Over-priced, Top line revenue driven with no care for customers or service employees. Spent hundreds of thousand dollars in a moral initiative "Called Passion to Win". In the U.S. it only netted the complete dismantling of the Field Service team and management over last three years. Most recent Executive Sales/Service team was nothing more than a hatchet team, some who have since quit when the glass ceiling was hit. Current Customer Care executives are running a dismantled and unorganized service organization; and never participated or bought in to the "Passion To Win" training or bought into the Philosophy and they are simply running the service department into the ground, focusing on high margins and top line revenue while not delivering the promise that Zeiss made to its customers five years ago. Has lost its competitive advantage by loosing so many high qualified employees. Turnover at all time highs. Dublin based Customer Care executive team answers to no one and consistently shows its disregard for the Global GoServe team. The Global Service Management project has been a complete failure. The only real global achievement has been driving service prices up on customers. Our customers pay more for less under the disguise of Service Levels that are seldom met. Service Employee Morale in the U.S has hit rock bottom. Few Field Service Reps even try to work a full 40 hours a week. The sole current qualified Service Manager is completely lost and drowning in customer complaints.

Advice to Management

The time for advice has long passed. At this point it would be best to continue the re-organization and revamp the Customer Care Executive team. If you really want to change then send those who made the poor decisions to wreck the service team out the door also. Keep an eye on the executives and Directors you hire. Hold them accountable to MBOs that are achieved at the cost of your customer facing employees and customers. No real service management since 2012; reverse your actions since then.

7. Disenchantment. That feeling overshadows everything else.

I worked at Carl Zeiss Meditec

Pros

Nice location. Benefits had been quite competitive for a while. Professionals particularly interested in medical devices could could have considered it as a career opportunity.

Cons

Glaring incompetence of mid-level management coexisting with penchant for flachy but meaningless actions,

Advice to Management

(1) “Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps
    moving but does not make any progress.”
    ― Alfred A. Montapert
    (2) Watch (and re-watch) the movies "Downfall" (2004), "Battleship Potemkin"(1925)

8. Could be a great place to work, if it had better managment!

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technology, great product development; decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Too many managers and handlers; management out of touch with employees; poor if any employee retention policies...

Advice to Management

You need to realize your experienced employees are your best resource, as they will help retain customers, which are in the end the reason why we do what we do. New leadership is needed all the way around!

9. Company doesn't make sense

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec

Pros

pay and benefits, management are easy to get a long with.

Cons

Rules and policies don't make sense and changes constantly, there's not a logical or relevant way to collect performance data, performances requirements/ratings doesn't seem to push the growth or success of the company, there's not much focus on service department, no guidance for growth in the company, people's roles changes too often and never announced so you never know who to go to for help on certain things, there's not unity between sales and service, there's lack of creativity from management in moving forward,

Advice to Management

Correct the cons listed above also...You must spend money to make money so hire more people, hire people with good talents and not just people who are willing to work for cheap...focus on providing good service through understanding that each region has different personalities and that there is a certain way to do business in those regions. Biggest thing of all, consider moving the headquarters to the East Coast. With many successful medical device companies on the east coast, you're bound to find some good talent.

Pass on Service

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leader in the industry, quality products, cutting edge technology. Good benefits.

Cons

Field Service is completely demoralized! We watched our Service Managers suffer through the humiliation of a completely disorganized and poorly planned restructure. In early October, we were told there would be a restructure in service where we would go from 5 Service Managers to 2 with 8 Supervisors. The Service Mangers had to go about their daily roles for more than 2 months not knowing if they had a job. As it turns out only one was retained and no supervisors have been selected. They didn't even pick the most qualified manager which makes me question their motives. If they could treat my manager like this who was with the company for more than 25 years, I have no doubt they could do worse to their field engineers.

Currently, the field service organization is in total disarray. There is only one manager who is in way over his head, running the entire country of 100+ service engineers. I do not know who I report to or who to turn to for support. We engineers have little respect for and no trust in service or customer care management. It is almost laughable when the VP talks about the value of employees. He places no value on his employees and the only value in service these days seems to be if we reach the revenue targets. They have lost sight of caring for their employees and our customers. I understand change is necessary, but this ill-conceived restructure which failed miserably in its execution could not have come at a worse time as sales are down. I am disturbed by what they did to my and the other managers. I feel lied to as no supervisors have been placed. We were told these supervisors will be backfilled with new hires which nobody trusts to be true.

Advice to Management

Replace customer care and field service upper management with respected, truthful and trustworthy managers who value the employees that work so hard to keep Customer Sat at high levels. They need to understand the employees want a decent work / life balance so to make statements in a group such as, "maybe field service isn't for you" doesn't add to your popularity. Management should live the values the company has implemented such as, "Be a Role Model."

unknown

Current Employee - Unknown in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Unknown in New York, NY

I have been working at Carl Zeiss Meditec full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

decent product. pushing new equipment from Germany to keep up with technology.

Cons

dissatisfied with management and sales fse's get no respect

Advice to Management

what management?

RSS Feed </> Embed