Carl's Jr

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work(in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • disorganized, gossip, angry customers, low pay(in 7 reviews)

• And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers(in 3 reviews)

shift leader

Shift Leader (Former Employee) Lake Havasu City, AZ

Prosgreat crew members most where hard workers but had those who just would not follow co. gridlines. but those same ppl where great at standing around with the guest service

Consthis was so disorganized, favoritism at its best. would set expamples of best employees and re hiring the worst. allowing shift to slack off leaving a greater burden on the graveyard shifts. to pick up slack that was left through out the day.

chef

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Corona, CA

Pros-great hours
    -great food.
    - easy learning curve

Cons-food
    - no advancement, you are stuck in that job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do.

Love/Hate Relationship

ProsMost employees are very nice, fairly good flexibility, easy to get hired, good about giving requested days off if in advance, discount on food, you can socialize with customers and get to know them, the environment is usually an upbeat and happy one.

ConsLots of gossip amongst workers, favoritism, some spanish speaking workers don't understand you or cant communicate with you or pretend not to understand you, some co-workers are very lazy and don't keep up on cleaning tasks as asked or told, there are very high expectations that realistically can't be met. Some things just take too long to cook especially during rush hours. You don't have enough time to get the store up and running in the morning. They give you 30 min before doors open to get everything up and running and they want you out 45 min after close. This is impossible. Then you get lectured and treated poorly when you don't meet these expectations. If you arent meeting your labor requirements you have to send people home. you may have no choice but to work with 2 people in the front and 2 people in the kitchen and then you are also expected to keep everything clean and orders out on time. How can you do this with one person cooking burgers, one person running fries and the green burrito line? And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers? It's not possible. Its very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd love to see the people who set these guidelines and rules to come in and run the floor under these circumstances, like in undercover boss. I bet you'd realize how unrealistic your expectations are. Maybe you'd appreciate and understand your employees more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place to work at

Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) Newhall, CA

ProsGood way to start earning money.

ConsVery rude shift leaders and district manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should be more friendly and not have their favorites.

Nice co-workers, horrible corporate management

Cashier (Former Employee) Logan, UT

Pros1 - 50% discount on delicious hamburgers while on the clock.
    2 - Easy job. It was fairly easy to get hired as well.
    3 - My team leaders and store manager were very nice, hardworking people. (for the most part)

Cons1. Horribly unrealistic expectations from corporate management, who visit on a weekly basis.
    2. Virtually no employment benefits or reasons to stick with the company.
    3. The corporate managers of Carl's Jr. show little to no respect for their hourly workers. E.g. the store manager at my location was fired after fifteen years of working at Carl's because she couldn't lower the drive-thru time to less than a five minute average. Firing her was outrageous behavior. I also witnessed a few really good workers (people who had been there more than six months) walk out and quit on the spot because they couldn't handle the way they were being treated by the district managers at our location.
    4. Paychecks are disbursed by default through a third-party company onto cards, which Carl's gives to every employee. These cards have weird fees and can only be used at locations like 7/11 ATMs without extra charges.
    5. Stores are often understaffed and employees have to work long hours. One of my team leaders once worked an eighteen hour shift until two in the morning (7 am - 2 am), and then had to come back at five a.m. after a three hour break, then working until five o'clock in the afternoon. Personally, I was most often assigned ten hour shifts (strictly on drive-thru) with only one 30 minute break. Crazy long hours for such a mind numbing job.
    6. I gave my best work to Carl's Jr. for three months and wasn't once given a personal compliment or word of encouragement from corporate or district managers. It's very hard to give a job your best work only to receive harsh criticism in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got to start treating your workers with respect. For example, I felt like some of the computer based learning modules I had to complete insulted my intelligence. Carl's Jr. works so hard trying to force their employees to be happy by making them learn memorize various acronyms and phrases detailing what kind of friendliness they should demonstrate to customers. What Carl's Jr. doesn't do, however, is try to cultivate an environment in which their workers would be naturally happy. I was yelled at by various managers for failing to say precise phrases to customers. (I was yelled at for saying "your welcome" instead of "my pleasure", I was also yelled at for asking a customer if they wanted a "small, a medium, or a large drink" instead of saying "would you like that upsized to a medium or large?") I'm sure every low-level employee feels like they could run the company better than the boss, but I would advice the Carl's Jr. Corporate employees to make a real effort to show respect for their hourly workers.

Stressful at times, rewarding during most.

Crew Member/Cashier (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsSchedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull.

ConsLike most other customer service jobs, you get the occasional rude guest, cranky co-worker, or list of unreasonable expectations. Also, the pay rate isn't even close to being directly proportionate to the amount of work you put in or the exhaustion you experience.

Decent first job to start at.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood food and it was a great way to start off working here because I had a chance to learn a lot about customer service and working as a cashier.

ConsPay is not very good and raises are hard to get here. Its more a stepping stone for experience.

Great food, and great service

Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsNice paycheck, and you get discounted/free food

Conssome of the customers you have to deal with

Advice to Senior Managementbe nicer to everyone, sometimes you have to be.

Fast paced and always busy, management is the worst

Cook (Current Employee)

ProsWorking as a team was very good. Majority of my coworkers are willing to help. Discounts of 50% off food when on breaks and 20% off any other time.

ConsThe place is always busy and fast paced. If you are the cook, as I am, you will fall behind on orders. You constantly get yelled at my management and even some of the rude cashiers about not putting out the food fast enough. All orders had to be out in under 3 minutes, which is nearly impossible when customers order 6+ burgers.

But the worst of it all was when you had weekly upper management come in to inspect the place working efficiently. They never praise the employees, they just hassle us about the mistakes we do. Every employee hates them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with the crew members and not hassle them. We do our best to provide great service.

Dead end job

Drive Through Cashier (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsNone that I remember from the top of my head, just that it is a paycheck though even if it is min wage

ConsLong grueling hours for little pay, angry and demanding customers, unreasonable expectations, lots of shift changes, unmotivated coworkers and not very supportive management

Worked for Carl's Jr? Contribute to the Community!