Carl's Jr

Updated March 5, 2015
Updated March 5, 2015
2.5

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work (in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay shift leader making (in 8 reviews)

• But they won't actually promote me from shift leader trainee to (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a job to have forever.

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is easy to move up in the company, easy to learn the job, discounts.

Cons

Very strict in regulations, once you more up it is not a very big pay raise, only 25 cents. They ask for impossible goals, constant changes. It is okay for a while, but nobody wants to work fast food for their whole life.

Start caring more about your workers. Carl's Jr doesn't provide any services to it's employees besides free food cards and discounts. One person, front or back, works as many positions, we deserve a little bit more than minimum wage and discounts.

Too much time reinventing the wheel

Former Employee - General Manager in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great guests and crew. Excellent HR department. Better job if you work for CKE corporate since benefits are much improved.

Cons

Ownership changed three times in 15 months. Corporate sold most of their stores off to franchises in Texas. With that came dramatic changes in benefits and upper management style. This is actually th second time that CKE has sold the majority of their stores in Texas. New owners are MIH and the majority of GM's either left or were terminated within a few months. Good luck if they are in the process of buying your store.

Do like some of the better managed brands are doing now. Corporate should build stores in high population density markets with good per capita income. Build those stores to be your ambassadors to grow your brand. Grow at conservative paces that protect the company and it's investors.

OK

Former Employee - Carl's Junior Team Member in La Porte, TX
    Former Employee - Carl's Junior Team Member in La Porte, TX

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- friendly people
    - flexible

Cons

- long hours
    - minimum wage

pay more

If this is your first job, do some research on the store you're applying for. Ask for benefits.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Diamond Bar, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Diamond Bar, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (less than a year)

Pros

+ Great coworkers
    + Flexible hours
    + Long hours
    + Free burger when store does exceptionally well
    + Free sodas in water cup

Cons

- Long hours
    - Minimum wage
    - No benefits (depends on your store)
    - No Direct Deposits (depends on your store)
    - No training by management
    - Stingy store manager
    - Unnecessary position switches

Train your crew members.

Don't promote your cooks to a front/drive-thru cashier without them knowing anything about how to their use the cash register.

good experience and kind of fun if you want a job that is sort of easy but with lots of busy work

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

i liked the environment and the people i worked with.. they made it fun and even though there was busy work it is okay

Cons

dealing with difficult customers. you get so many customers that just want to bs you regarding quality of food to get free food. it is ridic

be nicer to employees and get a grip on those damn customers who just want free crap

Can't wait to find d another job and quit I couldn't have found a worst job

Current Employee - Back Line Cook in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - Back Line Cook in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of my co-workers were very friendly and I've met some great friends here. They worked with my school schedule.

Cons

I work graveyard shift weekends as a cook. We are understaffed and overworked. We have to clean extra things even though we don't have enough people for it. Manager complains to the wrong people and doesn't appreciate our work.

Overall poor quality.

Former Employee - Cashier in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sandy, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The food was good, I like the employee discount.

Cons

All levels of management had something weird about them, and that didn't mix well. Corporate was always coming in to chew out the store manager, and shortly after a customer called a higher level corporate representative a foul name, he quit. I was offered a promotion, but unlike my peers I was expected to learn everything properly before the promotion (others were handed responsibility then taught later).

Restaurant I worked at was perpetually understaffed, not helping our performance. We're a fast food restaurant but sometimes wait times would be up to 20 minutes. The closest equivalent to us would be In-N-Out, and they almost always had more than double our staff.

It could just be the one I worked at, but nothing in the restaurant was up to spec, at all. Dirty, long waits, under-staffing, almost zero breaks. I wouldn't know my schedule until around midnight of the night before my first shift.

Develop realistic expectations, quit being so harsh. You get mad at me for sitting down when prepping vegetables but I was working 14 hours on my day off to cover for two no shows. You want our drive-thru average to be 3:30 but you tell us to promote items that take at least 4:00 to cook. Regional gets angry at Store manager for a leaking beverage bar but doesn't want money to be spent fixing it.

"OK" for people's first job

Former Employee - Cook
    Former Employee - Cook

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The people working there
    -The discount (50%)
    -The eating environment. (Better, cleaner than McDonalds imo)
    -steady hours

Cons

-Managers I worked for didn't set good examples for new workers

Just a decent paying job in order to get some of those extra bills paid and what not

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

Just another typical fast food joint, there was nothing wrong about the place. just long hours on your feet which is fine if you have lots of energy

Cons

Basically just some of the customers who would come in, but other than that it was a decent place to work

Worst job I have ever had. The manager only gives you hours if she likes you.

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is honestly nothing positive from working here.

Cons

Manager made me scrub the concrete in front of the with a broom and then criticize me about taking forever. Instead of investing in a power washer.