Carl's Jr Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
Updated October 11, 2014
2.5

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work (in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • disorganized, gossip, angry customers, low pay (in 7 reviews)

• And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad at all for fast food.

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Logan, UT

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working here were the other employees. they were fun to work with and very helpful made for a very positive work environment

Cons

the salary is not great at all but what can you expect from fast food that's probably my only complaint

Not the worst possible job, but close

Former Employee - Carl's Junior Team Member in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Carl's Junior Team Member in Corona, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Literally anyone could do this job

Cons

Management sucked, miserable environment, short shifts, and bad hours

An encouraging, happy environment would save you the trouble of having to hire every month or two. Management was either absent or in a bad mood. Had to ask multiple times for a manager to speak to a customer when need be. Nothing was done about concerns. Contradictory policies.

Inadequate treatment of their employees.

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well, my co-workers were friendly. Since we are in a college town, the students that came in are nice. There is a 50% discount on duty.

Cons

Customers are ridiculous, but that is just fast food. They are allowed to personally insult and threaten you all they want, and you cannot defend yourself at all.
    Upper management is so contradictory and hypocritical. They demand one thing, but are dissatisfied when that is done. One silly example of this: We need to stock the napkin holders. We fill them up just like the district manager shows us, he comes in again and tells us to put less napkins in. We do it again just like he shows us, and he tells us to do it like the first time. Ridiculous.
    They expect you to be superman. They expect the drive thru person to clean, cashier, do all of drive thru and keep up with cleaning. On top of this, we have to have orders out in 3.5 minutes. With how long everything takes to cook, and the number of responsibilities they give us, this is impossible. Upper management is always telling us how horrible we all are, and constantly crying that we can't do all this and the insane amount of chores we have to do every night. This could all be fixed if they had more employees on the clock, but no, the rich franchise has to save every dollar. I even have to send people home if we are slow, instead of having them do chores! Then, we get rushed and don't have the manpower every time!
    The scripting is intrusive and I can tell it ticks off the guests. It makes you sound like a drone and they push it until they are red in the face.
    They treat they employees like crap. Here is what is happening to me: We recently got bought by franchise, so during transition my paycheck got cut and nobody told me. It went from $8.75 to $8.25. Apparently, a clerical error. Well it has been a month and my general manager has notified them twice and nothing.
    Also, I got a promotion 2.5 months ago. But they won't actually promote me from shift leader trainee to shift leader, even though I'm doing all the work as one. I've been closing on my own since I got that title. I know it's because they are trying and succeeding at exploiting me for all my worth. It's unacceptable.
    They push happiness on you, but when they treat you like this, how can you be? Then they get angry at you for not being in a good mood.
    Franchise wants shift leaders helping the employees, but then they give us all this extra meaningless paperwork. How are we supposed to get out on time and do all this? we can't. Franchise makes us stay open 1.5 hours later than corporate, so now I'm exhausted every night. It's messing me up. I study 12 credit hours, and work is giving me 45 hours a week because we don't have enough shift leaders or employees. The shift leaders at my restaurant are being torn apart from all the stress and being overworked for barely any pay.

Stop treating your employees like they're sub-human if they can't live up to your ridiculous tasks. You are a fast food restaurant, stop thinking this is a five star place. It's not. Stop scripting, and guests will be happier. They don't want to buy all the food we push. You're just annoying them. Stop expecting general manager and shift leader to work magic.

so many people

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you get to talk to people every day

Cons

you have to talk to people every day

don't worry about drive through times so much, oh and pay more

Fun but stressful

Former Employee - Crew Trainer in Live Oak, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Trainer in Live Oak, TX

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meet great people,If you're looking to get a lot of hours, Great training if store first opens, Easy to work your way up if you're good at what you do

Cons

Management is poor, After a while standards are forgotten, Survival of the fittest, Many old people or teenagers in high school, Too much stress for little money

Shift leader

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for what you do

Cons

It depends who do you work for

I loved it. Very professional.

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Victorville, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible, Paid Time Off, Great Food

Cons

A lot of changes to policies. Some managers not too nice to crew members.

Reducing the script due to too many customers giving dirty looks or complaining about all the upselling and sounding like flight attendants. (Guest actually told me that).

Trying to grow in a new market quicker than they can handle

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was average and I enjoy working for customers

Cons

They have one trainer responsible for training all incoming managers and she cannot focus and properly train with so many people she is responsible for. The training program is a joke. Cheap on labor and horrible absence of tools (a dish washer, label gun, proper timers to name a few) that could help crew and reduce costs, even labor, in the restaurant. Managers do not have it easy either with their dinosaur computer methods for ordering products and counting inventory. Workers are extremely stressed and unfriendly, what they call "scripting" frusterates a lot of quests but if you don't do it u could be fired. There is a lack of team work because all employees are too busy on their individual stations to accomplish much. They have no set prep person or maintenance and employees are expected to do these tasks along with their regular tasks throughout the day, and god forbid something runs out even if all employees have been extremely busy all day taking care of guests and orders you get reprimanded.

Your in a new market. That's difficult I know. But listen to employees and management for ideas on what would help business move smoother and make them happy. Employees who are happy and not over stressed make customers happy. Invest in items that will help business and employees like a dishwasher especially in stores who's sales are over 30k a week. A label gun will save a lot of labor from employees having to fill out 100+ labels daily by hand. Invest in food storage pans- that saran wrap is difficult when your trying to be fast.

cashier

I have been working at Carl's Jr

Pros

its really good company values

Cons

making money 40hrs per week

Avoid at ALL costs, no MATTER how desperate

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

20%, 50% discount on meals - that is if you used it regularly enough

Cons

**Despite the discount, I DON'T EAT HERE, I bought a shake during a break and it made me sick whenever I took a sip. I even made it myself!
    **There's district/regional/general manager conflicts.
    **I'm sure no one at the restaurant likes their coworkers, and you consistently hear managers cursing the job, on the job.
    **The Carl's Jr I work at is disorganized and consistently lacks supplies.
    I'm overworked and sometimes never get a much needed break. Customers like me and come back for the service but because I'm the only cashier on deck I have to juggle cleaning the ever dirty tables, sweep THEN mop the floors, wipe down windows from the inside AND outside, clear restrooms, replace and take out all the trash to the dumpster and beverage bar which is all expected to be done in less than 15 minutes. And I tend to guests as they come in so I have to constantly restart the "circle of influence" so I can't get things done when I have things pulling me in 3 different directions. Not doable, and not conceivable--especially during lunch rush when the stress is greater.
    One manager threatened to keep me at the restaurant past my time even though the afternoon shift cashier had clocked in to assume my duties.
    **The place is filthy. I ate once at the location I work at (before I worked there) and the tabletops were sticky. As I got employed I learned why: the employees don't change out their sanitation bucket water and will continue using the same dirty water until it's opaque and grey. Remember that these buckets and towels have all the crumbs, grease, soda, and dirt cleaned up from guests' tables in them. Filthy. Disgusting.

**SCRIPTING. Every guest gives me a dirty look whenever I ask them if they want the 1/3 or 1/2 lb patty for the thick burger, or to upsize, because it tacks on $2-$4 to what would've been a more affordable meal, into a over-glorified heart attack. Whoever wrote the scripting has probably never dealt with face-to-face business in the restaurant service industry.

Have a "busboy" job, because a cashier can't be both a cashier and busboy within reasonable means.

Hire better managers.

Don't play "favorites".

Have better hierarchy of management organization.

Get a better POS system that gives more power to cashiers with the guest orders--every time I ask for the manager card because a guest changed their mind about a meal, the manager shoots me a dirty look as if I did something wrong.