Carl's Jr

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.7

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work (in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay shift leader making (in 8 reviews)

• But they won't actually promote me from shift leader trainee to (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great experience

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers fellow co workers and the environment.

Cons

It was physical and mental challenging. Especially if I am already mentally and physically challenging.

Listen and have more compassion

Easy job

Current Employee - Cashier in Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the job after all is pretty easy, i mean all u really need to do is take peoples orders and smile. and maybe bag there food

Cons

People are mean, even though there are alot of good people that come through there are always the jerks that ruin your day. sometimes we mess up and other times people just want free food

robots man

Bittersweet?

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've learned a lot in the years that I've been with Carl's.. I've been given the skills to handle even the most difficult of people (customers/coworkers alike). This was my first job, and my security blanket I fell back upon when other jobs did not work out. My general manager goes above and beyond for her team, which has become more and more rare in passing years. Without this job, I would never have received the management experience I value today.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. Little to no room for advancement (unless you want to take on the responsibility of managing a store, but even general managers are getting stiffed for all the effort they put in with no rewards). Constantly working with a skeleton crew because Corporate doesn't want to spend money to ensure the stores can run a PROPERLY STAFFED SHIFT

Put more value in your employees. Seriously, the fact that you're more concerned with how much you're spending in labor dollars than the fact that your stores are running into the ground with skeleton crews... it's just sad. I used to love working here... the only reason I'm still here is because of my GM. Corporate management sucks.

I can say, without a doubt, that this is one of the worst places I've ever worked for.

Former Employee - Crew Member in Tanasbourne, OR
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Tanasbourne, OR

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. Unless you like being treated horribly.

Cons

The employees belittle you and are rude. Manager threatens anger over the smallest mistakes that should be expected of a new employee that had been badly trained, what's more is that they didn't realize I was hispanic and could understand spanish (I'm black, so its not easily apparent) so the manager took it upon herself to insult me and belittle the way I was working in spanish to all the other workers. I was told to go out and interact with "guests", as in baby them. As in ask the "guests" if they'd like me to get them napkins or refill their drinks. It kind of disgusted me the way the manager expected me to fill a grown mans drink for him in a FAST FOOD JOINT. Not even I got this treatment when I'd go to Carls jr. Even the customers thought that they were treating me with disrespect. I was called in for on call work at least everyday in the one week I worked there, but when I would work they would just make me deal with filling up the "guests" sodas and cleaning up after them (if they so pleased, which, surprise, usually they don't). I had finally had enough the last day of the week when the manager and her employeers gathered around and chatted in spanish about what the manager and I spoke about in the back room privately. In no way would there be any reason for her to share my privacy with other employees. I got tired of being pushed around and treated like I'm nothing, so I happily quit. All in all, bad people, bad management, bad hours, bad training, and horrible pay.

Don't assume that no one can understand spanish. Don't use language to insult and gossip about your employees. Be professional. If you can't schedule your workers, at least respect them if you want them to work on call. The "guest" and restaurant "fine dining" experience you want your employees to deliver isn't fooling anyone. You're making employees belittle your "guests" by asking workers to refill their drinks and throw out trash for them, so drop that part off your pointless training regimen. And if you can't do any of those then please do pay your workers above minimum wage, so they can support themselves.

Easy good job.

I have been working at Carl's Jr

Pros

Working here is very easy,I've been working at Carl's Jr for about 4 weeks now and during the time I've been very accepted and all the employees have been very nice. The manager's/shift leaders are very nice and help out a lot,whenever I need any help with anything I just ask and they show me what to do.when your working you get free drinks and also a 50% discount on your food (amazing discount).the shifts are good and busy,sometimes someone can't come In and I pull a double witch is VERY good for me so I can get more hours.

Cons

I work at a loves Carl's Jr witch means I have to deal with truckers,some are nice but others are just as rude as can be. At the register whenever someone wants to change or just wipe there order you need the manager/shift leaders code and password witch is VERY annoying when you deal with people that are just saying the want something and then they want another,just not knowing what to get so I have to call the manager/shift leader about 3-7 times every 30min witch makes me look bad and look like I don't know what I'm doing.

Take the manager lock from deleting an order!

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

There were no good reasons to work there bad experience all in all it was my first job so a east it was an experience.

Cons

Bad experience manager had his favorites, as employees we had to pay for drinks , they would usually leave me alone while it was super busy so many things that's why I quit.

Very enjoyable place of employment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Woodburn, OR
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Woodburn, OR

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Positive and motivating environment. Lots of opportunities for advancement from within. Great management team. The company thrives to have extraordinary customer service, and reward you for providing it. Also the customers very much appreciate the service, and aren't afraid to let you know, which gives you a sense of pride in work. Very team driven, with hardworking crew members and supportive management.

Cons

At this point I don't have any cons. I was given an opportunity that others weren't offering me, even though to be honest at first at 27yrs. of age I was feeling working fast food was not enough of an accomplishment. After I became aware of all the advancement opportunities my whole outlook changed. In a few short months I have been working hard to work my way up, and I am so grateful this company is acknowledging my potential.

I like when we have store to store or even in store competition. It's a good way to motivate the crew and keep spirits high. Keep up the good work, and I would love to see new incentive based programs implemented.

Very bad team work and pay

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Chatsworth, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Chatsworth, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You het to do practically anything you want

Cons

Very low pay shift leader making .25 cents more than a regular cashier no benefits and no raise

Need to get better management and employees and please give a raise to shift leaders

Inadequate treatment of their employees.

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well, my co-workers were friendly. Since we are in a college town, the students that came in are nice. There is a 50% discount on duty.

Cons

Customers are ridiculous, but that is just fast food. They are allowed to personally insult and threaten you all they want, and you cannot defend yourself at all.
    Upper management is so contradictory and hypocritical. They demand one thing, but are dissatisfied when that is done. One silly example of this: We need to stock the napkin holders. We fill them up just like the district manager shows us, he comes in again and tells us to put less napkins in. We do it again just like he shows us, and he tells us to do it like the first time. Ridiculous.
    They expect you to be superman. They expect the drive thru person to clean, cashier, do all of drive thru and keep up with cleaning. On top of this, we have to have orders out in 3.5 minutes. With how long everything takes to cook, and the number of responsibilities they give us, this is impossible. Upper management is always telling us how horrible we all are, and constantly crying that we can't do all this and the insane amount of chores we have to do every night. This could all be fixed if they had more employees on the clock, but no, the rich franchise has to save every dollar. I even have to send people home if we are slow, instead of having them do chores! Then, we get rushed and don't have the manpower every time!
    The scripting is intrusive and I can tell it ticks off the guests. It makes you sound like a drone and they push it until they are red in the face.
    They treat they employees like crap. Here is what is happening to me: We recently got bought by franchise, so during transition my paycheck got cut and nobody told me. It went from $8.75 to $8.25. Apparently, a clerical error. Well it has been a month and my general manager has notified them twice and nothing.
    Also, I got a promotion 2.5 months ago. But they won't actually promote me from shift leader trainee to shift leader, even though I'm doing all the work as one. I've been closing on my own since I got that title. I know it's because they are trying and succeeding at exploiting me for all my worth. It's unacceptable.
    They push happiness on you, but when they treat you like this, how can you be? Then they get angry at you for not being in a good mood.
    Franchise wants shift leaders helping the employees, but then they give us all this extra meaningless paperwork. How are we supposed to get out on time and do all this? we can't. Franchise makes us stay open 1.5 hours later than corporate, so now I'm exhausted every night. It's messing me up. I study 12 credit hours, and work is giving me 45 hours a week because we don't have enough shift leaders or employees. The shift leaders at my restaurant are being torn apart from all the stress and being overworked for barely any pay.

Stop treating your employees like they're sub-human if they can't live up to your ridiculous tasks. You are a fast food restaurant, stop thinking this is a five star place. It's not. Stop scripting, and guests will be happier. They don't want to buy all the food we push. You're just annoying them. Stop expecting general manager and shift leader to work magic.

Not bad at all for fast food.

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Logan, UT

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working here were the other employees. they were fun to work with and very helpful made for a very positive work environment

Cons

the salary is not great at all but what can you expect from fast food that's probably my only complaint