Carl's Jr

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.7

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work (in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay shift leader making (in 8 reviews)

• But they won't actually promote me from shift leader trainee to (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Very stressful and expectations ridiculous.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Chance to move up if you can handle the stress and hard work. You can take what you learn at Carls Jr, to find a better job.

Cons

Extremely stressful, expectations are ridiculous with the labor allotted. Huge menu that is labor intensive. No retirement. No labor credit for sick days or vacation days, so you have to be ahead on labor to be able to use vacation or sick days???!!! General Manager does their job and the lob of 2 employees as well.

Pray that the job market remains tight, since there is little to recommend Carls Jr for a career choice except that it is a job. Offer some sort of retirement option, at least match 2% on 401k contributions. Keep in mind that reduced staffing affects service and morale. No matter how much you threaten jobs and yell at people, they can only do so much. The continuing shortage of management staffing and high management turnover, should tell you something about your business practices.

shift leader

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great crew members most where hard workers but had those who just would not follow co. gridlines. but those same ppl where great at standing around with the guest service

Cons

this was so disorganized, favoritism at its best. would set expamples of best employees and re hiring the worst. allowing shift to slack off leaving a greater burden on the graveyard shifts. to pick up slack that was left through out the day.

Nice co-workers, horrible corporate management

Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1 - 50% discount on delicious hamburgers while on the clock.
    2 - Easy job. It was fairly easy to get hired as well.
    3 - My team leaders and store manager were very nice, hardworking people. (for the most part)

Cons

1. Horribly unrealistic expectations from corporate management, who visit on a weekly basis.
    2. Virtually no employment benefits or reasons to stick with the company.
    3. The corporate managers of Carl's Jr. show little to no respect for their hourly workers. E.g. the store manager at my location was fired after fifteen years of working at Carl's because she couldn't lower the drive-thru time to less than a five minute average. Firing her was outrageous behavior. I also witnessed a few really good workers (people who had been there more than six months) walk out and quit on the spot because they couldn't handle the way they were being treated by the district managers at our location.
    4. Paychecks are disbursed by default through a third-party company onto cards, which Carl's gives to every employee. These cards have weird fees and can only be used at locations like 7/11 ATMs without extra charges.
    5. Stores are often understaffed and employees have to work long hours. One of my team leaders once worked an eighteen hour shift until two in the morning (7 am - 2 am), and then had to come back at five a.m. after a three hour break, then working until five o'clock in the afternoon. Personally, I was most often assigned ten hour shifts (strictly on drive-thru) with only one 30 minute break. Crazy long hours for such a mind numbing job.
    6. I gave my best work to Carl's Jr. for three months and wasn't once given a personal compliment or word of encouragement from corporate or district managers. It's very hard to give a job your best work only to receive harsh criticism in return.

You've got to start treating your workers with respect. For example, I felt like some of the computer based learning modules I had to complete insulted my intelligence. Carl's Jr. works so hard trying to force their employees to be happy by making them learn memorize various acronyms and phrases detailing what kind of friendliness they should demonstrate to customers. What Carl's Jr. doesn't do, however, is try to cultivate an environment in which their workers would be naturally happy. I was yelled at by various managers for failing to say precise phrases to customers. (I was yelled at for saying "your welcome" instead of "my pleasure", I was also yelled at for asking a customer if they wanted a "small, a medium, or a large drink" instead of saying "would you like that upsized to a medium or large?") I'm sure every low-level employee feels like they could run the company better than the boss, but I would advice the Carl's Jr. Corporate employees to make a real effort to show respect for their hourly workers.

Dead end job

Former Employee - Drive Through Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Drive Through Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (more than an year)

Pros

None that I remember from the top of my head, just that it is a paycheck though even if it is min wage

Cons

Long grueling hours for little pay, angry and demanding customers, unreasonable expectations, lots of shift changes, unmotivated coworkers and not very supportive management

The first and worst job I ever had!!!

Former Employee - Crew Member in Nampa, ID
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Nampa, ID

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-You get 50% discount on food when you work!
    -Really good food!
    -A really nice Manager

Cons

-Favoritism
    -Low pay
    -Difficult customers
    -No tips( If you got a $10-25 tip they would tell you they will have to pay you $3.25 because your getting tips! Which I think is bs )
    -Rude co-workers that talk behind your back
    -Often get sent home early on slow nights
    -Promise to raise you wage and they don't!
    -Assistant Managers are really rude!
    -Overwork you like a donkey!

-Respect the employee you take for granted! (Some of us are really hard workers, and other lazies)
    -Talk to the employees when they quit if you can! (Empathy)
    -Tell other employees to stop being rude to one and another!!!
    -DON'T PROMISE YOU'LL RAISE WAGE AND GIVE HIM/HER PROMOTION!!! ( I hate when they don't keep their promise!)
    -SAY PLEASE AND THANK YOU! AND GREET THE CUSTOMERS!!!

upper management SUCKS.

Former Employee - Crew Member in Chino, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Chino, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are usually fun to work with
    Learn spanish from cooks
    Easy job to land
    once you've been gain the respect of shift leaders, you have ALOT of leeway ;)

Cons

Uppermanagement is terrible. They do NOT care about you AT ALL. I had ONE GM that was awesome. I had three total.
    You're SUPPOSED to get a raise every year. my last year there they decided to throw out a HUGE middle finger to all the loyal employees and say no raises. One girl got fired for not offering an upsize on ONE order. You kidding me?

Stop being so greedy. Notice how chick fil a and innout are so successful? they actually care about the customer and you dont. They are ALOT more generous with both employees and customers.
    Happy Employee = MUCH more sales.

Easy Job- But Horrible Place To Work

Current Employee - Carl's Junior Team Member in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Carl's Junior Team Member in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A- You get a discount on food
    B- The job is really easy
    C- It was very easy to get hired
    D- The Team Members are nice
    E- The morning shift is the best shift to work (yes it sucks getting up early, but it's a lot slower and easier- all you do is stock cups, fill fry sauce cups, lids, etc. Plus in the morning you don't have to say the script that is required for you to say)

Cons

A- Cooks are really rude, slow, and mess up on orders constantly (which you're the one getting yelled at by the customers for their incompotence)
    B- The Store Manager is nice but the Assistant Managers are really rude
    C- Corporate Managers are really rude and fussy
    D- Corporate Managers come in on a weekly basis (I've never had a job where corporate comes in as much as they do here)
    E- Employees who have been there a long time get away with everything (they constantly pull no shows, walk out during shifts, and are short on their registers- and management does nothing about it)
    F- They don't give you checks, you get a paycard (every two weeks when I get paid and want to transfer the money on my paycard to my bank account it's a hassle every time. I have to call the company every single time- which you get charged for)
    G- Corporate Managers find reasons to yell at you (1- A lady asked me if she could have fry sauce and I said sure, the Corp. Manager then came over to me and yelled at me in front of customers that I'm supposed to say "My Pleasure" she then made me sign a paper verifying that I was told this. 2- One of the guys I worked with asked a customer if they'd like to try the California Burrito and Corp. Manager yelled at him that it's called Burrito California. 3- I could go on and on with examples)
    H- If you're going to order food on your break- get the food first before you clock out. Otherwise you'll spend 15 minutes of your break (no exaggeration) waiting for your food then you'll have to scarf it down.
    I- If you work the morning shift you get your break really early (if you're scheduled 7-2 then you'll get your break at 9- they want you to have your break over with before it gets busy. So you then go through the rest of the day exhausted)
    J- Make sure you keep the slip that prints out when you clock out for your break (I had the Assistant Manager yell at me that I was on break for 45 min. and I said "no I wasn't I've only been out for 25 min. here's my slip")
    K- They still have discontinued items on the menu and then they get mad at you when you sell one of those items to the customer.
    L- You make minimum wage

Treat employees better, get better nicer cooks, and treat everyone equally.

Unfair treatment of the employees.

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

They are everywhere and easily found around the corner.

Cons

Work not distributed correctly and should be watched on.

If you have the same title, say pay, same experience as another employee, your work load/type should be the same?

Could be better, Could be worse.

Pros

Pros
    -Decent hours
    -Everyone is very real and friendly

Cons

Cons
    -Once they find out you are a good cook they don't bother teaching anyone else to do it and expect you to work all the time.
    -Harsh, biting management that looks out for themselves
    -Impossible to get a day off even when sick
    -Lacking in professionalism
    -Inconsistent working hours

Try to make schedules more consistent, Let people take time off.
    Train more people to do more jobs instead of relying on only a few people.

Not bad first Job

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Fresno, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

Flexible hours around school schedule

Cons

low pay but hey its a job

None