Carl's Jr

Updated November 9, 2014
Updated November 9, 2014
2.6

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work (in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay shift leader making (in 8 reviews)

• And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

7 years almost do everything.learn a lot

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Daly City, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Daly City, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice teamwork experience and good customer service , nice people and hardworking team
    learn more knowledge for customer service, safety, cash registers and cleanliness.

Cons

hard employee control ,hard schedule make

Decent Pay, Low Trust

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Woodward, OK
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Woodward, OK

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    health insurance
    loyalty to employees

Cons

Low chance of moving up the ladder much within the company.

Pay more attention to your lower management.

Very stressful and expectations ridiculous.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Chance to move up if you can handle the stress and hard work. You can take what you learn at Carls Jr, to find a better job.

Cons

Extremely stressful, expectations are ridiculous with the labor allotted. Huge menu that is labor intensive. No retirement. No labor credit for sick days or vacation days, so you have to be ahead on labor to be able to use vacation or sick days???!!! General Manager does their job and the lob of 2 employees as well.

Pray that the job market remains tight, since there is little to recommend Carls Jr for a career choice except that it is a job. Offer some sort of retirement option, at least match 2% on 401k contributions. Keep in mind that reduced staffing affects service and morale. No matter how much you threaten jobs and yell at people, they can only do so much. The continuing shortage of management staffing and high management turnover, should tell you something about your business practices.

shift leader

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great crew members most where hard workers but had those who just would not follow co. gridlines. but those same ppl where great at standing around with the guest service

Cons

this was so disorganized, favoritism at its best. would set expamples of best employees and re hiring the worst. allowing shift to slack off leaving a greater burden on the graveyard shifts. to pick up slack that was left through out the day.

chef

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corona, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-great hours
    -great food.
    - easy learning curve

Cons

-food
    - no advancement, you are stuck in that job.

Keep doing what you do.

Love/Hate Relationship

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most employees are very nice, fairly good flexibility, easy to get hired, good about giving requested days off if in advance, discount on food, you can socialize with customers and get to know them, the environment is usually an upbeat and happy one.

Cons

Lots of gossip amongst workers, favoritism, some spanish speaking workers don't understand you or cant communicate with you or pretend not to understand you, some co-workers are very lazy and don't keep up on cleaning tasks as asked or told, there are very high expectations that realistically can't be met. Some things just take too long to cook especially during rush hours. You don't have enough time to get the store up and running in the morning. They give you 30 min before doors open to get everything up and running and they want you out 45 min after close. This is impossible. Then you get lectured and treated poorly when you don't meet these expectations. If you arent meeting your labor requirements you have to send people home. you may have no choice but to work with 2 people in the front and 2 people in the kitchen and then you are also expected to keep everything clean and orders out on time. How can you do this with one person cooking burgers, one person running fries and the green burrito line? And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers? It's not possible. Its very stressful.

I'd love to see the people who set these guidelines and rules to come in and run the floor under these circumstances, like in undercover boss. I bet you'd realize how unrealistic your expectations are. Maybe you'd appreciate and understand your employees more.

Horrible place to work at

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Newhall, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Newhall, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good way to start earning money.

Cons

Very rude shift leaders and district manager.

They should be more friendly and not have their favorites.

Nice co-workers, horrible corporate management

Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1 - 50% discount on delicious hamburgers while on the clock.
    2 - Easy job. It was fairly easy to get hired as well.
    3 - My team leaders and store manager were very nice, hardworking people. (for the most part)

Cons

1. Horribly unrealistic expectations from corporate management, who visit on a weekly basis.
    2. Virtually no employment benefits or reasons to stick with the company.
    3. The corporate managers of Carl's Jr. show little to no respect for their hourly workers. E.g. the store manager at my location was fired after fifteen years of working at Carl's because she couldn't lower the drive-thru time to less than a five minute average. Firing her was outrageous behavior. I also witnessed a few really good workers (people who had been there more than six months) walk out and quit on the spot because they couldn't handle the way they were being treated by the district managers at our location.
    4. Paychecks are disbursed by default through a third-party company onto cards, which Carl's gives to every employee. These cards have weird fees and can only be used at locations like 7/11 ATMs without extra charges.
    5. Stores are often understaffed and employees have to work long hours. One of my team leaders once worked an eighteen hour shift until two in the morning (7 am - 2 am), and then had to come back at five a.m. after a three hour break, then working until five o'clock in the afternoon. Personally, I was most often assigned ten hour shifts (strictly on drive-thru) with only one 30 minute break. Crazy long hours for such a mind numbing job.
    6. I gave my best work to Carl's Jr. for three months and wasn't once given a personal compliment or word of encouragement from corporate or district managers. It's very hard to give a job your best work only to receive harsh criticism in return.

You've got to start treating your workers with respect. For example, I felt like some of the computer based learning modules I had to complete insulted my intelligence. Carl's Jr. works so hard trying to force their employees to be happy by making them learn memorize various acronyms and phrases detailing what kind of friendliness they should demonstrate to customers. What Carl's Jr. doesn't do, however, is try to cultivate an environment in which their workers would be naturally happy. I was yelled at by various managers for failing to say precise phrases to customers. (I was yelled at for saying "your welcome" instead of "my pleasure", I was also yelled at for asking a customer if they wanted a "small, a medium, or a large drink" instead of saying "would you like that upsized to a medium or large?") I'm sure every low-level employee feels like they could run the company better than the boss, but I would advice the Carl's Jr. Corporate employees to make a real effort to show respect for their hourly workers.

Stressful at times, rewarding during most.

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull.

Cons

Like most other customer service jobs, you get the occasional rude guest, cranky co-worker, or list of unreasonable expectations. Also, the pay rate isn't even close to being directly proportionate to the amount of work you put in or the exhaustion you experience.

Decent first job to start at.

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

Good food and it was a great way to start off working here because I had a chance to learn a lot about customer service and working as a cashier.

Cons

Pay is not very good and raises are hard to get here. Its more a stepping stone for experience.