Carl's Jr Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
107 reviews filtered by

Trying to grow in a new market quicker than they can handle

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay was average and I enjoy working for customers

Cons

They have one trainer responsible for training all incoming managers and she cannot focus and properly train with so many people she is responsible for. The training program is a joke. Cheap on labor and horrible absence of tools (a dish washer, label gun, proper timers to name a few) that could help crew and reduce costs, even labor, in the restaurant. Managers do not have it easy either with their dinosaur computer methods for ordering products and counting inventory. Workers are extremely stressed and unfriendly, what they call "scripting" frusterates a lot of quests but if you don't do it u could be fired. There is a lack of team work because all employees are too busy on their individual stations to accomplish much. They have no set prep person or maintenance and employees are expected to do these tasks along with their regular tasks throughout the day, and god forbid something runs out even if all employees have been extremely busy all day taking care of guests and orders you get reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Your in a new market. That's difficult I know. But listen to employees and management for ideas on what would help business move smoother and make them happy. Employees who are happy and not over stressed make customers happy. Invest in items that will help business and employees like a dishwasher especially in stores who's sales are over 30k a week. A label gun will save a lot of labor from employees having to fill out 100+ labels daily by hand. Invest in food storage pans- that saran wrap is difficult when your trying to be fast.

2. Hours are crap

Current Employee - Crew Member in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Corona, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, Co-workers are friendly, Decent first job, Immediate job security

Cons

Hours/days are crap: I only get 4 and a half hours, one day a week even after working here for 3 months; Feels like certain employees get more hours than others; Over staffed

Advice to Management

Please reconsider how you hire people. It seems that people get hired left and right just to move out other employees (high turn over rate).

3. cashier

I have been working at Carl's Jr

Pros

its really good company values

Cons

making money 40hrs per week

Avoid at ALL costs, no MATTER how desperate

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Katy, TX

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

20%, 50% discount on meals - that is if you used it regularly enough

Cons

**Despite the discount, I DON'T EAT HERE, I bought a shake during a break and it made me sick whenever I took a sip. I even made it myself!
    **There's district/regional/general manager conflicts.
    **I'm sure no one at the restaurant likes their coworkers, and you consistently hear managers cursing the job, on the job.
    **The Carl's Jr I work at is disorganized and consistently lacks supplies.
    I'm overworked and sometimes never get a much needed break. Customers like me and come back for the service but because I'm the only cashier on deck I have to juggle cleaning the ever dirty tables, sweep THEN mop the floors, wipe down windows from the inside AND outside, clear restrooms, replace and take out all the trash to the dumpster and beverage bar which is all expected to be done in less than 15 minutes. And I tend to guests as they come in so I have to constantly restart the "circle of influence" so I can't get things done when I have things pulling me in 3 different directions. Not doable, and not conceivable--especially during lunch rush when the stress is greater.
    One manager threatened to keep me at the restaurant past my time even though the afternoon shift cashier had clocked in to assume my duties.
    **The place is filthy. I ate once at the location I work at (before I worked there) and the tabletops were sticky. As I got employed I learned why: the employees don't change out their sanitation bucket water and will continue using the same dirty water until it's opaque and grey. Remember that these buckets and towels have all the crumbs, grease, soda, and dirt cleaned up from guests' tables in them. Filthy. Disgusting.

**SCRIPTING. Every guest gives me a dirty look whenever I ask them if they want the 1/3 or 1/2 lb patty for the thick burger, or to upsize, because it tacks on $2-$4 to what would've been a more affordable meal, into a over-glorified heart attack. Whoever wrote the scripting has probably never dealt with face-to-face business in the restaurant service industry.

Advice to Management

Have a "busboy" job, because a cashier can't be both a cashier and busboy within reasonable means.

Hire better managers.

Don't play "favorites".

Have better hierarchy of management organization.

Get a better POS system that gives more power to cashiers with the guest orders--every time I ask for the manager card because a guest changed their mind about a meal, the manager shoots me a dirty look as if I did something wrong.

2002 this was the best place that any general manager would love to work at. But in 2008 it all went down hill.

Former Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits good pay bonus are good and hourly pay now.

Cons

Leadership change and it's not worth working there anymore.

Advice to Management

If you want vacaciones you need to save labor ahead to take time off.

The manager determines the experience.

Former Employee - Chef in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Chef in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a fun environment, and if you have a good manager, it is a very good workplace

Cons

There was a change in management, and the whole atmosphere changed from great to horrible.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your managers don't just care for number one

8. Good first job.

Current Employee - Cashier in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people around you have a great attitude that you will not regret applying here. The leadership that the shift leaders gain is very satisfying because they take there job seriously and help out the cashiers with any help that is needed. The assistant manager takes so many risks at the job site that he should get a promotion to become GM.

Cons

Sometimes the client's will complain for no reason whatsoever just to get free food for most of the time. When it gets busy, people tend to complain on why their order has taken so long and they make us cashiers feel slow and not focused.

Advice to Management

include more people in the start of the morning shift so that the cashier who opens doesn't feel stressed out doing everything.

9. Good first time job.

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, discounts on food purchases, great first job,

Cons

Having to deal with upset customers

10. Good first job

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

-flexible hours, good management, decent pay, small learning curve

Cons

dealing with the public, pay could be better

Advice to Management

pay more

11. cashier

I have been working at Carl's Jr

Pros

works well with schedule friendly

Cons

unorganized hours were too flexable

1 week 25 hours next week 9 hours

Advice to Management

die