Carl's Jr Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.7

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work (in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • disorganized, gossip, angry customers, low pay (in 7 reviews)

• And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

HORRIBLE

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time

Pros

Great people to work with its a fast paced environment which is a good thing.

Cons

This company is very disorganized and wont work around your schedule at all plus they work you like a slave for little pay.

poor management

Current Employee - Cook  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Cook in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time for less than a year

Pros

good discount 50% off dine in 20% off togo

Cons

management doesn't understand the way things actually work
    not a well put together company

take advice from those working in store

Crew member

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier  in  Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Riverside, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for more than a year

Pros

great crew to work with

Cons

disorganized, gossip, angry customers, low pay

Listen to your employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful, bad management

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked their high level of customer service standards, trained well, easy to use POS

Cons

Expected too much out of people. Very difficult and stressful to keep up with their expectations which often seem unrealistic. Management had obvious favorites and let some get away with standing around while others had picked up their slack. Must be able to multitask EXTRAORDINARILY well.

Stop playing favorites and treat your employees with respect and maybe you will have your workers stay longer than a month.

Bad outweighs the good in fast food

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Met long life friends here, fun atmosphere but it depends on your co-workers and if they like you. Had great regular customers who became friends as well. Schedule was way flexible, but good for those going to school full-time and enjoyed the discount on occasion.

Cons

If day was slow, was sent home early, i.e. if working 6 hours and then working only 4 instead. Had a strict DM who considered other workers who've worked only a few months to be a shift leader than those who've been there longer and had more experience. When it does get busy and everyone goes home from being sent home early, got customers to complain why there isn't more help. there's always part time positions, never full time.

Consider a possible raise for those who get good reviews from secret shopper more than once, make sure whoever gets hired are reliable enough that if they can't work there anymore or found another job to contact whoever is in charge. That has happened more than once and then the restaurant gets short staffed and get more complaints from customers when it's busy.

EH

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier  in  Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time for more than a year

Pros

nice co-workers, good team bonding

Cons

Customers are extremely indecisive at times, and it brings the drive-thru time down by a lot. This puts a strain on the team, since we're supposed to achieve a certain time. A lot of stress comes with the job, and it only pays minimum wage despite having to be skilled in various areas.

offer better wages, perhaps create a rule where a customer cannot order at the drive thru window...

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Medford, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Medford, OR

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great food- Nice guests- Nice building

Cons

Employees not treated well consistently

Screen owners more carefully

Very stressful and expectations ridiculous.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It's a paycheck. Chance to move up if you can handle the stress and hard work. You can take what you learn at Carls Jr, to find a better job.

Cons

Extremely stressful, expectations are ridiculous with the labor allotted. Huge menu that is labor intensive. No retirement. No labor credit for sick days or vacation days, so you have to be ahead on labor to be able to use vacation or sick days???!!! General Manager does their job and the lob of 2 employees as well.

Pray that the job market remains tight, since there is little to recommend Carls Jr for a career choice except that it is a job. Offer some sort of retirement option, at least match 2% on 401k contributions. Keep in mind that reduced staffing affects service and morale. No matter how much you threaten jobs and yell at people, they can only do so much. The continuing shortage of management staffing and high management turnover, should tell you something about your business practices.

shift leader

Former Employee - Shift Leader  in  Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great crew members most where hard workers but had those who just would not follow co. gridlines. but those same ppl where great at standing around with the guest service

Cons

this was so disorganized, favoritism at its best. would set expamples of best employees and re hiring the worst. allowing shift to slack off leaving a greater burden on the graveyard shifts. to pick up slack that was left through out the day.

Nice co-workers, horrible corporate management

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for less than a year

Pros

1 - 50% discount on delicious hamburgers while on the clock.
    2 - Easy job. It was fairly easy to get hired as well.
    3 - My team leaders and store manager were very nice, hardworking people. (for the most part)

Cons

1. Horribly unrealistic expectations from corporate management, who visit on a weekly basis.
    2. Virtually no employment benefits or reasons to stick with the company.
    3. The corporate managers of Carl's Jr. show little to no respect for their hourly workers. E.g. the store manager at my location was fired after fifteen years of working at Carl's because she couldn't lower the drive-thru time to less than a five minute average. Firing her was outrageous behavior. I also witnessed a few really good workers (people who had been there more than six months) walk out and quit on the spot because they couldn't handle the way they were being treated by the district managers at our location.
    4. Paychecks are disbursed by default through a third-party company onto cards, which Carl's gives to every employee. These cards have weird fees and can only be used at locations like 7/11 ATMs without extra charges.
    5. Stores are often understaffed and employees have to work long hours. One of my team leaders once worked an eighteen hour shift until two in the morning (7 am - 2 am), and then had to come back at five a.m. after a three hour break, then working until five o'clock in the afternoon. Personally, I was most often assigned ten hour shifts (strictly on drive-thru) with only one 30 minute break. Crazy long hours for such a mind numbing job.
    6. I gave my best work to Carl's Jr. for three months and wasn't once given a personal compliment or word of encouragement from corporate or district managers. It's very hard to give a job your best work only to receive harsh criticism in return.

You've got to start treating your workers with respect. For example, I felt like some of the computer based learning modules I had to complete insulted my intelligence. Carl's Jr. works so hard trying to force their employees to be happy by making them learn memorize various acronyms and phrases detailing what kind of friendliness they should demonstrate to customers. What Carl's Jr. doesn't do, however, is try to cultivate an environment in which their workers would be naturally happy. I was yelled at by various managers for failing to say precise phrases to customers. (I was yelled at for saying "your welcome" instead of "my pleasure", I was also yelled at for asking a customer if they wanted a "small, a medium, or a large drink" instead of saying "would you like that upsized to a medium or large?") I'm sure every low-level employee feels like they could run the company better than the boss, but I would advice the Carl's Jr. Corporate employees to make a real effort to show respect for their hourly workers.

Worked for Carl's Jr? Contribute to the Community!