Carl's Jr Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.7

Andrew Puzder

Pros
  • You get 50% discount on food when you work (in 4 reviews)

• Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • disorganized, gossip, angry customers, low pay (in 7 reviews)

• And one person in drive thru and one to run the front for walk-in customers (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice co-workers, horrible corporate management

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Logan, UT

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for less than a year

Pros

1 - 50% discount on delicious hamburgers while on the clock.
    2 - Easy job. It was fairly easy to get hired as well.
    3 - My team leaders and store manager were very nice, hardworking people. (for the most part)

Cons

1. Horribly unrealistic expectations from corporate management, who visit on a weekly basis.
    2. Virtually no employment benefits or reasons to stick with the company.
    3. The corporate managers of Carl's Jr. show little to no respect for their hourly workers. E.g. the store manager at my location was fired after fifteen years of working at Carl's because she couldn't lower the drive-thru time to less than a five minute average. Firing her was outrageous behavior. I also witnessed a few really good workers (people who had been there more than six months) walk out and quit on the spot because they couldn't handle the way they were being treated by the district managers at our location.
    4. Paychecks are disbursed by default through a third-party company onto cards, which Carl's gives to every employee. These cards have weird fees and can only be used at locations like 7/11 ATMs without extra charges.
    5. Stores are often understaffed and employees have to work long hours. One of my team leaders once worked an eighteen hour shift until two in the morning (7 am - 2 am), and then had to come back at five a.m. after a three hour break, then working until five o'clock in the afternoon. Personally, I was most often assigned ten hour shifts (strictly on drive-thru) with only one 30 minute break. Crazy long hours for such a mind numbing job.
    6. I gave my best work to Carl's Jr. for three months and wasn't once given a personal compliment or word of encouragement from corporate or district managers. It's very hard to give a job your best work only to receive harsh criticism in return.

You've got to start treating your workers with respect. For example, I felt like some of the computer based learning modules I had to complete insulted my intelligence. Carl's Jr. works so hard trying to force their employees to be happy by making them learn memorize various acronyms and phrases detailing what kind of friendliness they should demonstrate to customers. What Carl's Jr. doesn't do, however, is try to cultivate an environment in which their workers would be naturally happy. I was yelled at by various managers for failing to say precise phrases to customers. (I was yelled at for saying "your welcome" instead of "my pleasure", I was also yelled at for asking a customer if they wanted a "small, a medium, or a large drink" instead of saying "would you like that upsized to a medium or large?") I'm sure every low-level employee feels like they could run the company better than the boss, but I would advice the Carl's Jr. Corporate employees to make a real effort to show respect for their hourly workers.

Decent first job to start at.

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

Good food and it was a great way to start off working here because I had a chance to learn a lot about customer service and working as a cashier.

Cons

Pay is not very good and raises are hard to get here. Its more a stepping stone for experience.

Stressful at times, rewarding during most.

Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule flexibility, opportunity for pleasant work environment, fast paced, never dull.

Cons

Like most other customer service jobs, you get the occasional rude guest, cranky co-worker, or list of unreasonable expectations. Also, the pay rate isn't even close to being directly proportionate to the amount of work you put in or the exhaustion you experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great food, and great service

Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier  in  Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/Cashier in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice paycheck, and you get discounted/free food

Cons

some of the customers you have to deal with

be nicer to everyone, sometimes you have to be.

Dead end job

Former Employee - Drive Through Cashier  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Drive Through Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for more than a year

Pros

None that I remember from the top of my head, just that it is a paycheck though even if it is min wage

Cons

Long grueling hours for little pay, angry and demanding customers, unreasonable expectations, lots of shift changes, unmotivated coworkers and not very supportive management

The first and worst job I ever had!!!

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Nampa, ID
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Nampa, ID

I worked at Carl's Jr full-time for more than a year

Pros

-You get 50% discount on food when you work!
    -Really good food!
    -A really nice Manager

Cons

-Favoritism
    -Low pay
    -Difficult customers
    -No tips( If you got a $10-25 tip they would tell you they will have to pay you $3.25 because your getting tips! Which I think is bs )
    -Rude co-workers that talk behind your back
    -Often get sent home early on slow nights
    -Promise to raise you wage and they don't!
    -Assistant Managers are really rude!
    -Overwork you like a donkey!

-Respect the employee you take for granted! (Some of us are really hard workers, and other lazies)
    -Talk to the employees when they quit if you can! (Empathy)
    -Tell other employees to stop being rude to one and another!!!
    -DON'T PROMISE YOU'LL RAISE WAGE AND GIVE HIM/HER PROMOTION!!! ( I hate when they don't keep their promise!)
    -SAY PLEASE AND THANK YOU! AND GREET THE CUSTOMERS!!!

The people are what make it fun

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Cashier in Salem, OR

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time for less than a year

Pros

Regular hours
    Often get sent home early on slow nights
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Low pay
    Difficult customers
    No tips
    Overly friendly coworkers

Telling your employees they did a good job is just as important as telling them they need to improve.

One of the worst jobs ever.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Carl's Jr part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Friendly co-workers
    -Discount on food
    -Easy to get hired

Cons

-Management is terrible. They are rude and inconsiderate.
    -There is always a lack of supplies.
    -If you're a cashier, you get the worst end of this job. You get yelled at by unsatisfied customers for the mistakes of the cooks.
    -The management doesn't care about you at all.
    -Management doesn't report injuries, then tells you to "Stop over exaggerating."
    -Harassment is unavoidable in this job, upper management will not care and yell at you ANYWHERE.

You should really treat your employees with respect , if you want it in return. Guess this is what you get when you don't pursue further education.

upper management SUCKS.

Former Employee - Crew Member  in  Chino, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Chino, CA

I worked at Carl's Jr part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are usually fun to work with
    Learn spanish from cooks
    Easy job to land
    once you've been gain the respect of shift leaders, you have ALOT of leeway ;)

Cons

Uppermanagement is terrible. They do NOT care about you AT ALL. I had ONE GM that was awesome. I had three total.
    You're SUPPOSED to get a raise every year. my last year there they decided to throw out a HUGE middle finger to all the loyal employees and say no raises. One girl got fired for not offering an upsize on ONE order. You kidding me?

Stop being so greedy. Notice how chick fil a and innout are so successful? they actually care about the customer and you dont. They are ALOT more generous with both employees and customers.
    Happy Employee = MUCH more sales.

crazy

I worked at Carl's Jr

Pros

meet people, learn to work at a fast pace and make decisions quickly. definitely become more outgoing after doing this for a while

Cons

rules are always broken, pay is bad, no benefits depending on if you are corporate owned or franchised owned, crazy stuff happens between employees. basically the employees make the job harder than it has to be.

Worked for Carl's Jr? Contribute to the Community!