Carle Hospital Reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong leaders with a clear vision

Cons

Many areas still work in silos

Great place for an internship!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1. Carle is a great place for University of Illinois students to get experience they need for future jobs.
    2. Discount in the gift shop and cafeteria.
    3. Great place to learn a lot about the health care system
    4. On the bus line

Cons

1. Carle employees are not allowed to give recommendations or referrals (some weird internal company policy). This is really unfortunate for interns.
    2. A lot of people in my office were really unhappy with upper level management
    3. In some locations, employees have to pay for parking or have to park off-site and take a shuttle to the Carle campus.
    4. Some office buildings are really junky. For example, the Engineering office is in a trailer and Operations is in a renovated garage.
    5. INTERNS ARE UNPAID.
    6. Full-time employees in my department complained that sick leave/vacation time were taken from the same "pool".
    7. Carle has few incentives or employee appreciation initiatives/events. Those in non-clinical areas are not rewarded for their hard work.

Consider giving performance bonuses and actually giving a salary review when it's due.

AIDET is silly.

Fraud

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative (Neph)  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative (Neph) in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Meeting new people, working with patients i miss that I hate that I had leave because of one person you thought you could trust.

Cons

I was harass by manager on a daily basis i was called in the office everyday to be talk down upon. My manager would contact human resource and switch a story around so they would keep a record on things I supposedly done. I though this was a great place to work and it's really a fraud my manager told me nothing would happen to her since she been working there for 20 or more years. I hate to say this but she was right all odds were stack against me I reach out to CEO and human resource and nothing was done. I was force to quit by manger I was very disappointed this is a person that help get the coordinator fired instead of her which in reality she did just as much If not more but she blamed everything on her to save her job. I wanted to reach out but at the time I was scared of being fired too I have been told by so many people I should write a article or book telling people what goes on be hind the scenes of Carle. It was a scary experience that i had to leave no one wants to get bullied everyday trust me it sucks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of Opportunities

Former Employee - Enrichment Educator  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Enrichment Educator in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and opportunities for on-campus research.

Cons

Toxic relationships can easily form with management, especially when a work comp situation is under way. Carle helps with education reimbursement - to an extent - but once you obtain higher degrees, you are overlooked. Promotions, raises, opportunities for advancement do not reflect employee work record. And management takes credit for employees ideas.

Recognize the talent you have working under you before it's too late. Reward those who seek out additional certification and training - even on their own time and dollar. And consider advancing employees who conduct research to better physician interactions. Attentive doctors leads to safe medicine, and happier patients (the kind who return and pay their bill).

Loved my coworkers

Former Employee - Business Service Representative  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Business Service Representative in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was good once I completed our department's career ladder program. Able to do additional training as I saw fit. I was able to get certified in my department while working there and work towards moving up. My coworkers worked together well to help each other with days off and vacation needed.

Cons

Training could have been better. My supervisor wasn't with me as much as he should have been in the beginning and I was receiving error notifications on things I wasn't even trained to know how to do. Time-off policies were ridiculous during the reign of my first supervisor. I had to miss a friend's wedding because my department was doing a "go-live" and almost missed another one for the same reason. New supervisor was more understanding. I also wish management listened more to the people doing the jobs everyday that they were trying to improve.

Listen to the little people or spend more time in their shoes if you want to have opinions about how things should be run in a department. Also, keep people happy by working with them for their vacation times and understand that they are humans too but ones that generally make less than you and aren't as comfortable.

Stable employment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good local employer with employees who try to do well for our patients. Fair benefits.

Cons

Long hours, rare raises, high pressure and stress. More work than resources.

Groom your promising employees so you can promote from within. Add more to the benefit package to make up for the ones you stripped away over time.

I feel that the company wants to treat employees well

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upper management does try to set a high standard and it feels like they try to live up to it themselves. Very competitive pay for my discipline. Good benefits--seen better. Opportunity for continued training and advancement. Lots of communicatin both directions. Pay increases, rewards for meeting company goals, the take employee performance reviews seriously. Has the resources to be a steady place of employment

Cons

It's corporate and a bit uptight and old fashioned. Change is constant. Big. There is a lot to know about the place and most of the time you only have a narrow view of the organization. Hard to get hired in some areas--apply online and you may never ever hear from HR. Simple things seem to be complicated.

Don't focus so much on growing the business but focus on making sure you/your employees do the best job at the core functions. Make sure the pressure to grow doesn't mean you are pushing employees to their breaking points.

Administrative Intern

I worked at Carle Hospital

Pros

Great Learning Experience, the team structure there is great.

Cons

certain individuals have attitude problems when you try to help them on a certain issue

work on employee attitude and their concerns

Its okay

Current Employee - Software Support Engineer  in  Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Software Support Engineer in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large, professional, quality focused environment.

Cons

Poor communication between management and employees. Below average pay for non clinical staff.

It is very difficult to find opportunities for growth or advancement within your current role. Many people I know in the organization have had to take other jobs just to get a promotion or raise when they return to Carle.

A Toxic Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is adequate. Nice comraderie among staff.

Cons

Staff are "let go" with no notice and with little or no time to gather their belongings. Some are led out by a police escort and are told to have no further contact with other employees. There is a constant air of intimidation there because everybody is afraid that they will be the next to be fired. There is virtually no job security, even for people who have worked there for over 20 years. It took me and some of my coworkers a month or so to "recover" from the stress of working there. A very toxic, stressful, and intimidating environment for employees at every job level. I know it sounds nice to work at a hospital, but don't choose this one.

Have respect for your staff. Most of them are working so hard and have the patients' best interest in mind. Try to find a job at another hospital that has the best interest of its patients, staff, and management in mind, not just the "bottom line."

Worked for Carle Hospital? Contribute to the Community!