Carle Hospital Reviews

James C. Leonard

1. Healthcare Tech

Current Employee - Healthcare Technician in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Healthcare Technician in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have many great benefits that are far better than other hospitals in the area offer. They also have tuition assistance available and are very generous when it comes to assisting with tuition. They strongly encourage career advancement and help you take the steps to do so.

Cons

There are no cons of working at Carle other than the typical cons that come along with working in a place where there are a wide variety of people. There will be coworkers who you dont see eye to eye with but Carle management is always working with these problems and do a great job helping in solving issues.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

2. Great experience

Former Employee - IT Helpdesk in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - IT Helpdesk in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fulfilling job.

Cons

None that I can remember

3. Inpatient Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for pharmacy experience, workload contains a wide variety of positions within the job, fast-paced environment. Great employee benefits, competitive salary compared to surrounding pharmacies. Friendly staff, most people that begin working there stay for years unless in school This has been a reliable source of income while finishing my education

Cons

Fast-paced environment is not for everyone No room for advancement Not often fully staffed, creates increased workload

5. Every patient was routinely cared for and the staff truly enjoyed their occupation.

Former Intern - Emergency Department Volunteer in Urbana, IL
    Former Intern - Emergency Department Volunteer in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Carle experience is to provide the correct care in the best interests of the patient. Even as a volunteer the training was intensive and extensive. These values are reflected every time by all staff providing the hospice. Even the staff enjoyed each other's company and fostered a positive atmosphere for all in the emergency department.

Cons

The main cons would only be occasional shortage on supplies for the patient care. However when this is brought to attention, the necessary actions are taken.

6. Great place for an internship!

Former Intern - Intern in Urbana, IL
    Former Intern - Intern in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Carle is a great place for University of Illinois students to get experience they need for future jobs. 2. Discount in the gift shop and cafeteria. 3. Great place to learn a lot about the health care system 4. On the bus line

Cons

1. Carle employees are not allowed to give recommendations or referrals (some weird internal company policy). This is really unfortunate for interns. 2. A lot of people in my office were really unhappy with upper level management 3. In some locations, employees have to pay for parking or have to park off-site and take a shuttle to the Carle campus. 4. Some office buildings are really junky. For example, the Engineering office is in a trailer and Operations is in a renovated garage. 5. INTERNS ARE UNPAID. 6. Full-time employees in my department complained that sick leave/vacation time were taken from the same "pool". 7. Carle has few incentives or employee appreciation initiatives/events. Those in non-clinical areas are not rewarded for their hard work.

Advice to Management

Consider giving performance bonuses and actually giving a salary review when it's due. AIDET is silly.

7. "Leave"

Current Employee - Patient Services Analyst in Urbana, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Services Analyst in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The experience in the medical field.

Cons

Not a great place to work this company only care about money and white people.

Advice to Management

No comment.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong leaders with a clear vision

Cons

Many areas still work in silos

9. Lack of Opportunities

Former Contractor - Enrichment Educator in Urbana, IL
    Former Contractor - Enrichment Educator in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and opportunities for on-campus research.

Cons

Toxic relationships can easily form with management, especially when a work comp situation is under way. Carle helps with education reimbursement - to an extent - but once you obtain higher degrees, you are overlooked. Promotions, raises, opportunities for advancement do not reflect employee work record. And management takes credit for employees ideas.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent you have working under you before it's too late. Reward those who seek out additional certification and training - even on their own time and dollar. And consider advancing employees who conduct research to better physician interactions. Attentive doctors leads to safe medicine, and happier patients (the kind who return and pay their bill).

10. Loved my coworkers

Former Employee - Business Service Representative in Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Business Service Representative in Urbana, IL

I worked at Carle Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was good once I completed our department's career ladder program. Able to do additional training as I saw fit. I was able to get certified in my department while working there and work towards moving up. My coworkers worked together well to help each other with days off and vacation needed.

Cons

Training could have been better. My supervisor wasn't with me as much as he should have been in the beginning and I was receiving error notifications on things I wasn't even trained to know how to do. Time-off policies were ridiculous during the reign of my first supervisor. I had to miss a friend's wedding because my department was doing a "go-live" and almost missed another one for the same reason. New supervisor was more understanding. I also wish management listened more to the people doing the jobs everyday that they were trying to improve.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people or spend more time in their shoes if you want to have opinions about how things should be run in a department. Also, keep people happy by working with them for their vacation times and understand that they are humans too but ones that generally make less than you and aren't as comfortable.

11. I feel that the company wants to treat employees well

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I have been working at Carle Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management does try to set a high standard and it feels like they try to live up to it themselves. Very competitive pay for my discipline. Good benefits--seen better. Opportunity for continued training and advancement. Lots of communicatin both directions. Pay increases, rewards for meeting company goals, the take employee performance reviews seriously. Has the resources to be a steady place of employment

Cons

It's corporate and a bit uptight and old fashioned. Change is constant. Big. There is a lot to know about the place and most of the time you only have a narrow view of the organization. Hard to get hired in some areas--apply online and you may never ever hear from HR. Simple things seem to be complicated.

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on growing the business but focus on making sure you/your employees do the best job at the core functions. Make sure the pressure to grow doesn't mean you are pushing employees to their breaking points.

RSS Feed </> Embed