Carlos O'Kelly's

Jon Rolph

Server

Former Employee - Server in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Server in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Carlos O'Kelly's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Drink Specials. Good for first time servers

Cons

Slow business. Unmotivated staff. Too many menu changes

Too much turn over

Mostly good. I have learned a great deal over the years. Met some really great people

I have been working at Carlos O'Kelly's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benefits are great. used to be better

Cons

Since the company has been taking a nose dive for so long there have been a great deal of changes that come with it. Its like some1 hit a panic button and we are doing new things that cost us more money and we are to stubborn to admit we failed in many areas. Managers are now so deep in administrative duties and mundane tasks that they can no longer run the restaurant. Upper management (which there are way too many to support the $$$ we are losing) seems to think all the managers arent good enough and tend to just point fingers all day long. They will close stores w/o even telling staff or management. They treat people like they dont having emotions or feelings When i first started it was a family that cared about each other and truly appreciated everyone that worked for them. Now the general managers are scapegoats for all their problems. i don't think they intended for this to happen but it did. managers are now more like gophers and tools. Or numbers in a store. Its very demeaning and de-humanizing. I hope they can get it back on track but im doubtful. if you are starting a career you may want to choose elsewhere. Im not sure what the shelf life of the cok is but i feel like im walking on eggshells everyday and not sure when my store or the whole thing will shut down. I still plug away and do the best i can but each day is a new person telling you how much you suck. Not an ideal working environment.

treat your people with respect. Focus on something positive instead of only the negative. Eliminate about half of your upper management so we can make $$$ again. Quit making your empoyees walk on eggshells all day.

Promote from within, then not much chance for future promotion.

Former Employee - Management in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Management in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Carlos O'Kelly's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, great medical and employer paid benefits for fulltime management. Free food. Family atmosphere.

Cons

Upper management has the feeling of an "old boys network, even though there are many female store managers. Business seems to be on a down turn, recently closed almost half of their store.

After store closings a lot of people still working for the company do not seem to have a lot of confidence in the future of their stores. Give more direct warning about store closings so management can be given a honest chance towel changes.

Great place to work in college

I have been working at Carlos O'Kelly's

Pros

They work with you so you can attend school. Owners are very evolved and seen often

Cons

It's a serving job! Late night rude costumers micro managed high expectations

More training

Loved the management

Current Employee - Cook in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Cook in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Carlos O'Kelly's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked well with scheduling conflicts.

Cons

South store closed managers moved.

Spent a lot of time to not get a lot in return.

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager

I worked at Carlos O'Kelly's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you can get lucky enough to have a GM that isn't jaded, perhaps you will have the opportunity to work with some cool people.

Cons

Labor and food cost goals are always at the forefront. RM's have unrealistic expectations about just about everything. I consistently got near perfect health inspections, but according to RM, the house was "filthy". Absolutely no advancement opportunities, even though there are some GMs that have been grandfathered in with outrageous salaries for low volumes locations.

Start caring about your employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Server/Shift Manager in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Server/Shift Manager in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Carlos O'Kelly's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Starting in highschool and throughout college I have worked at Carlos O'kelly's. It has been a great place to work. The general manager is easily the best boss ever. So nice and actually cares about his employees. Flexible scheduling and the employees make it fun to work. There is opportunity to move up in the company into a shift manager position if you work there long enough and you are a hard worker.

Cons

Can be stressful at times when it gets busy. Worst part is having to deal with rude and disrespectful customers.

Management at corporate would learn a lot and be able to improve their business if they would ask advice from the employees that actually work at the restaurants.

Restaurant is tanking.

Current Employee - Server in Waterloo, IA
    Current Employee - Server in Waterloo, IA

I have been working at Carlos O'Kelly's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees get %25 off their food if they come in when not working. It can not be shared with anyone and it is only valid at the particular restaurant you work at. Employee receives %50 off food when working, though may not take it home.

Cons

The restaurant had such a bad reputation that there were hardly any customers. I often made less then minimum wage every day during the week, and about $10/hr during the weekend. Unfortunately the extra money on the weekend is used to meet minimum wage requirements during the week, so I averaged out at about a dime over minimum wage. The restaurant demonstrated poor food safety: I was told to grab--with my bare hands--balls of ice cream for dessert. Every ball had tons of finger imprints on it by the time it went on the dessert--it was embarrassing. There was little involvement of the management--the employees would stand in the alley and chit chat instead of help--which made it hard to maneuver through with big trays of food. They often had loud, inappropriate conversations that families in the dining room could hear. The shifts were short--about 3 hours during the week. Tip share was often a killer considering how little we made. Tips are based on sales, not actual tips. The food sucked, so the tips suffered. You also have to tip bussers even if they did not help you and even if they leave hours before you.

Fire all of the manager there--they are truly worthless. The location is perfect, but you would really need an entire new set of people, servers included, to revive this place.

I worked here for 2.5 years

Former Employee - Hospitality Supervisor in Ames, IA
    Former Employee - Hospitality Supervisor in Ames, IA

I worked at Carlos O'Kelly's part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They don't require experience to serve, they will train you.

Cons

Hourly wage cap for supervisors.

eh.

Former Employee - Server in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Server in Wichita, KS

I worked at Carlos O'Kelly's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules. Always busy. Good money.

Cons

P.O.S. system was hard to learn but once you get the hang of it it isn't bad. Lots of talking behind everyones backs including managers. Can be very stressfull at times.

Don't be so hard on your servers. It throws us off.