Carlos Rosario International School

1. Positive

Former Employee - Teacher's Aide in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Teacher's Aide in Washington, DC

I worked at Carlos Rosario International School

Pros

The mission and facilities of the school are great, the salary is good for part-time staff, and there are a number of professional development opportunities. Directors are very supportive. I had my first job out of college here with little experience, but my supervisor believed in me and even offered me a promotion after a few months of work.

Cons

The class sizes in the program I worked in were quite small and sometimes the attendance was quite low. There was not much incentive for the students to come, but understandably as many had jobs and children to tend to. The HR screening process is not very rigorous. I had a bad experience with that as the head teacher was dismissed because he had not disclosed important information about his past to HR.

Advice to Management

Try to make the programs a bit more formal. Screen your employees better, especially if they will be working closely with student and young children.

2. Mostly good

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Carlos Rosario International School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great professional development. Teach mornings or evenings if new hire. Appreciative students (they attend free of cost). Fun events. They really care about the immigrant population and offer lots of services for them. There is a culinary arts program that prepares incredible food. Some sick days, some holiday pay. Nice, clean, large building. Modern computer lab.

Cons

Nearly impossible to go full-time as an ESL teacher. Huge administrative record-keeping requirements that add lots of hours. Classes are large - normally capped at 25, but can be more.

Advice to Management

Get a grant to cover the cost of full-time benefits and hire part-timers for full-time; that way you can hold on to more talent.

RSS Feed </> Embed