Carlson Companies

Add Photos

Carlson Companies President, CEO, and Director Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

Great benefits & pay.

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsIt was a fun company to work for. Our department worked well as a team and independently as needed. Upper management was hands on and worked well with the all reports.

ConsMy position was newly created when I started and there wasn't much work at first.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management in my department was amazing. He took the time to talk to his reports daily and ask for feedback.

Great environment with flexibility and strong ethics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company as a whole has a strong forward outlook when making business decisions. They are able and willing to invest in their employees. There are many people that have been with the company for a long time which builds a unique community.

ConsThere is not a lot of room for vertical growth which makes it hard to get in the company and move into higher roles. They make up for this with horizontal growth and opportunities to work with other departments and Business Units.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward tenure and strong ethics since this is what draws many people to the organization.

Excellent company, a little short on compensation

Manager (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThis is a great company to work for, they have a lot of opportunities for growth and learning.

ConsBased on everything I have seen, they are usually 10% or 20% below market in compensation, especially on their long term employees. Then they are surprised when someone leaves . . .

Advice to Senior ManagementYou get what you pay for, the good people will go to where the money is!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun place to work!

Server (Former Employee)
    Erie, PA

ProsThe team was great and the management team was flexible. It was an upbeat, fun atmosphere in which to work.

ConsIt was rare to get a chance to sit down for a few minutes during an 8 hour shift on a busy evening.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure people take a few minutes to sit down during a long shift.

Great place to work, good people from the top down. Just little room for growth.

Host (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsPeriodical raises, good benefits, employees are appreciated

ConsLittle to no growth within company starting from a very low level

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your employees more.

Fulfilling and rewarding

Manager Operations & Infrastructure (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsLots of opportunity, competitive pay and benefits, friendly culture. Global spirit and culture. Family ownership brings interesting history and strong commitment.

ConsUnrealistic growth expectations given private ownership and capital constraints. Family issues in the past decade have been a distraction.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the return to core values.

Good company

ProsDecent work/life balance, flexible hours depending on your group, they care about employees being happy, ability to move up and around, development opportunities, a lot of community involvement

ConsToo much emphasis on things that don't matter, way too many surveys, always asking for donations for EVERYTHING

A culture and work environment in decline

Minneapolis, MN

ProsStated corporate values are commendable.

ConsSerious lack of competent mid-and upper management. Much hype and fluff around vision, but daily operations don't reflect stated corporate values. High employee dissatisfaction. Striving for excellence with lots of mediocre employees and uninspiring leaders. Very hierarchical. Mired in historic methods and culture with aversion to progressive change, innovation and collaboration-even though that's the latest buzz word. Mediocre pay and sub-par benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at yourselves. Decide what this company really wants to be. If you want it to be create an employee-supportive environment, hire leaders and managers with people management skills. Invest in the best of your employees and provide on-going training. Many operations and practices are out-dated by 10-15 years.

Not bad

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsIt's a good private company, especially for women.

ConsDon't have many advancement opportunities.

Never work in a remote location. Great company if you work in Minneapolis, terrible if you work anywhere else.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsNice size network and a lot of great talent.

ConsToo big for their own britches sometimes. I worked in a satellite office and the way our staff was treated (not working in Minneapolis) made us feel like we had three heads and spoke a language from another planet. When employees in MN didn't feel like getting to our work, they just ignored our phone calls, emails, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the employees in satellite offices. They work the hardest to push things through the agency, yet they get the least amount of respect from the internal network.

Worked for Carlson Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carlson Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carlson Companies CEO Hubert Joly. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Carlson Companies employees.