Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group

Perks at a price

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group full-time

Pros

Good pay benefits for unionized employees. Full-coverage healthcare for full-time. Hotels have lots of differing department -- great for exposure to different types of jobs instead of isolation within a particular sector, such as restaurants or cleaning services.

Cons

Our hotel is union, so lots of politics. The tension always seems to be there. Best practice for non-seniority is to just focus on doing the job and working as a team with both union and non-union employees. This is sometimes difficult because the tension has existed there for so long. Much less flexibility for an hourly job due to rigid rules regarding seniority and scheduling and fewer workers overall.

My department is under-managed. This is because a) the hotel won't hire another manager and b) the current managers fear union retaliation.

Worst hotel management company to work for, highly incompetent middle management and scattered objectives

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group full-time

Pros

The only positive thing to work in this company is the constant industry and technical knowledge sharing withing colleagues or employees and ability of these employees to go above and beyond to assist someone regarding something simple to a very complex task. Mind you all the knowledge sharing and kindness stops here, it gets highly incompetent starting the ranks of middle management and thereon. Let me be clear I have only worked at the corporate office of this hotel company but in my entire working span spent with this company I haven't noticed one pro that I could mention here. I have worked with start-up companies to hotel corporations with billion dollar market cap but have never encountered such high volatility and turnover among senior management. Benefits are equal to or slightly below industry standards, personal growth is none. Certain senior directors in the commercial organization are so incompetent that not only there skills are outdated in the industry but as a result they do not care if their subordinates/employees want to gain new skills to stay competitive in the marketplace.

Cons

No project management methodologies are followed ,traditional or agile. The management should comprehend that by hiring directors with zero industry knowledge at middle management level from a few failed/bankrupt/bought out companies in Minnesota with Black Belt/Project Management certifications doesn't make a company or a project successful. No room for an employee to try something innovative and bring efficiency to the project but the employees are shutdown by saying ' there is no need for this particular skill on my team ' when there is actually a dire need for someone to gain that skill or have someone who already already possesses it. Also please understand by handing over or giving responsibility to employees who are not skilled to handle certain jobs not only jeopardizes the entire life cycle of the project but also makes actual skilled and educated talent feel that their skills are not valued. Middle management due to high incompetence cannot figure out the difference between mediocre/low skill talent and high skill talent and on top of it different tiers of hierarchies are created to fulfill redundant job responsibilities . So now certain jobs that a single senior director could have handled are broken down and given to another incompetent director. And the cycle of incompetency keeps going.

The CEO wishes to see talent from all over the globe queuing up for interviews at this hotel company, I call it being delusional to a point that the management does not even have the resources to retain the existing talent they possess. My advice to senior management would be first of all hire the right people and have a healthy mix of management having strong credibility within the hospitality industry and folks from outside the industry but who have proved their leadership skills in past jobs. Be realistic, first of all elevate the services and standards of the majority of your failing hotels and then discuss strategies regarding addition of new hotels and brands to the portfolio. The reputation of the ' family run 'company within the industry is to be honest not highly talked about. Factors like not enough support from the corporate to the franchisees, no employee culture, failing hotels, strong hotels in the prime locations dropping out of the portfolio due to failing brand image, not having enough hotels in prime locations and not having the resources to build hotels in prime locations is enough reason for hotel investors to not even give your hotel company a passing thought before building a hotel under one of your brands.

It was okay for a job in college

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff, friendly - provides excellent hospitality and customer service.

Cons

Never recieved adequate training - it took a year for the staff to train me in a proper manner.
    Management do anything when there is low moral amongst employees.
    They need to hire more staff because you cant ask off when you would like and its really hard to try to switch schedules with a bunch of college students who cant work morning shifts.

Hire more employees, be more aware about what is going on in your business.

Apply at Carlson to Experience what it's like to work in a Third World Country!

I worked at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group

Pros

Occasionally free food brought in, no gaurantee you will get any though if your break isn't scheduled while it's there. The sales floor is kept warm to simulate being in a sauna so you can save money on your gym memberships!

Cons

Supervisor's are literal puppets for Corporate in Minneapolis with no voices of their own. The call volume is too high, and the sales floor is completely understaffed. Verbal abuse from customers is at an all time high, and many people are found crying at their work stations regularly. It's sad.

Listen to your Top Performers, they did not get there by accident. Be more selective in your hiring process...wayyyy more selective.

Challenging and somewhat rewarding, but has lost the family feel and commitment to employees.

Former Employee - Database Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Database Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was in a salaried position which could be very flexible when necessary, yet very seldom ever had to work over 40 hours per week. Generous with time off.

Cons

There were many metrics to meet, and some you couldn't meet and had no control over it because you're dealing with franchisees.

Save the money on black belt trainers, and listen to the employees.

Omaha location closing

Current Employee - General Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - General Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good teammates, casual dress. Was a good place to work when I started over 5 years ago. Lots of travel to headquarters required.

Cons

Headquarters in Minneapolis - remote Omaha location closing. Currently not a profitable company. Minneapolis management treats Omaha team badly. All management jobs being moved to Minneapolis (if haven't already). Overall business leaders unethical.

Stop hiding the truth, talk openly to your employees.

Cruel and unusual.

Former Employee - Manager of Interior Design in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Manager of Interior Design in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome values and credo- collaboration, caring, leadership, etc.

Cons

Do as I say, not as I do.
    It is difficult to find managers/supervisors/directors who are trustworthy.

Innovation will not occur unless there is trust.

Great place to grow

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Riga (Latvia)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Riga (Latvia)

I worked at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to grow professionally, express initiative and learn and apply leadership skills

Cons

Not much to say, since my internship was short.

Good Learning Arc

Current Employee - Head of Sales in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Head of Sales in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1 ) International work practices 2) Healthy Environment 3) Adequate Work Timings 4) Good Peers and colleagues 5) The company has great potential in terms of expansion as the basic deliverable to our stake holders are well defined and because of very good interdepartmental accountability procedures it will achieve its key objectives in their long term plans

Cons

Working for individual units means dotted line reporting to the Carlson Office.

A good place to work for but can be better..

Current Employee - Human Resources Executive in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Executive in Noida (India)

Pros

A good brand to work for and chances for International exposure.

Cons

Being an International organization something more and good is expected in terms of culture which is not there.You cant get a slightest hint of that we are working with a American brand.

Learning Opportunities are much needed