Carlson Wagonlit Reviews

Updated July 29, 2014

3.2

Carlson Wagonlit President and CEO Douglas Anderson
Douglas Anderson

Pros
  • Global company ability to work from home (in 3 reviews)

• Benefits, friends, work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • New upper management cleaned house too lean that has put a stress on staff (in 7 reviews)

• No support from senior management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best place to work for

Current Employee - Software QA Analyst  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Software QA Analyst in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice building . Good pay . good culture . Work from home opportunity.

Cons

Development team is getting outsourced to out of country. I am afraid software quality will go down

Do not outsource IT projects .

Carlson Wagonlit Travel is a motivated and aggressive company.

Current Employee - Travel Counselor  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Carlson Wagonlit Travel focuses on the client and keeps up with the latest technology. They will definitely help you learn all aspects of the job.

Cons

The time-off policy is definitely a challenge. Knowing what your personal time will be a year in advance is difficult.

Please allow time for the educational modules in CWT University while OFF the phones. Time needs to be scheduled for it.

a good company to work for

Current Employee - Support Agent  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Support Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I enjoy the co-workers. Many people have been here 10 years or more. The management is very friendly and really listens and values constructive comments. There is a good balance of work/life. The office does do several employee events per year.

Cons

Long commute and little opportunity to work from home. Movement into upper management is restricted if you do not have the correct skill sets. You cannot get the needed skill sets unless you get them somewhere else.

Have mentoring programs in place to allow employees to rise up thru the ranks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it, best experience..

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit

Pros

providing the best knowledge in air travel product to my clients, so they are able to travel in comfort.

Cons

when bad weather permits changes in pre-organised travel.

Happy with them

I love being able to telecommute!

Current Employee - International Travel Counselor  in  Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - International Travel Counselor in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, friends, work life balance

Cons

No flexiblity, rare promotions

Lacks professionalism and very political

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Being able to work from home

Cons

All leadership starting from supervisors and managers to above take advantage of the frontline's dedication and operates the business as a sweatshop mentality. That is when you ever do hear from your direct supervisor and manager-this company is not big on communication. You can sit at your desk in your home office and not hear from either a supervisor or manager for months.

There is a company mandate that as of late last year, all frontline couselors will help CWT's After Hour Service. This is to be done after your normal shift and/or on weekends. You have to assist for a minimum of 4 hours. If you refuse, you will be written up, and possibly fired. This is not fair. Many people have jobs after hours to supplement their incomes, and CWT does not want to hear it-you will assist the After Hours Services for 4 hours or be fired.

Morale stinks, and the yearly Employee Engagement Survey shows that. It's showed this for about 5 years now, and nothing is done to improve it. It is amazing to see that upper management truly can't figure out why these surveys are always scored low. The one thing CWT has done over the past 6 months is to add more jobs to the jobs page-but who knows if they are really available or if it's just for show.

This company is very political. I've personally applied for 2 positions to try to advance myself-I have the qualifications-both interviews went very well, and both decided to advance someone on their own teams (and I believe that it was previously determined that they would do so), therefore, I was just a "number" for diversity. There is no way to get ahead and advance at this company-it's the good ole' boy/girl network. If you don't have your lips firmly planted on someone in upper management that can help you advance, forget it.

This company will also not do anything to help you grow or improve yourself. Status quo is the belief system management has. Forget about mentoring-unheard of at this company.

CWT has a real problem with communication company wide. All departments do not communicate with each other, and the norm is to create messes and confusion when trying to implement new accounts or new systems.

Compensation is ok, and from my research, is actually better than a lot of other agencies. Don't look for any bonuses though-CWT does not give them. Yearly reviews may get you 2-2.5% increase, previous years, no one received any increases.

Treat your staff as human beings and with respect, if home based, reach out to them every month to at least say hello. Employee engagement will continue to decline as long as you manage the business like a sweatshop. Stop playing favorites with jobs, and give the positions to those who truly deserve them.

Satisfied employee

Current Employee - VIP Travel Counselor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - VIP Travel Counselor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very diverse. Cares about the customer. Innovative

Cons

trying to juggle required courses and meet sla agreements

Travel companies should offer travel benefits.

The company is growing at a rapid pace.

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very technologically goal oriented for the future of travel.

Cons

Training is ongoing because of constant change.

More travel benefits for the travel agents.

Too much take, not enough give

Former Employee - International Travel Counselor  in  Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - International Travel Counselor in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The co-workers are very close and easy to work with. The company does fun things for its employees a few times a year. Benefits were ok.

Cons

The fun things the company does for it's employees usually has to be funded by the employees. The upper management has NO clue what it's doing. Full time for this company is now 35 hours a week. You can't speak your mind at this company without management taking action against you. The place was wonderful when it still had the "family business" feel... but since a board of directors was introduced, this place keeps going downhill more and more every year. They are WAY too concerned with their numbers and not as much about customer or even employee satisfaction. They told us they wanted us to "not" go the extra mile for the customers anymore (i.e. not call to confirm seats, ask for hotel room upgrades, even DOCUMENT our records because each save to the GDS costs money for the company!!) Just absolutely asinine ways of doing business. You have to be with the "in" crowd to get promoted.

Listen to what your employees are telling you. Give the 40 hours back. Take care of your customers AND your employees. Happy employees = happy customers = happy office environment.

Too focused on old ideas to see anything else.

Current Employee - Meeting Planner  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Meeting Planner in Austin, TX

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on which account you support you may have more lenience on policies. They do have a great employee discount program that extends from hotels and vacations to cars to Apple products.

Cons

Worst benefits of any company. Health insurance is the worst that I have ever encountered and the premiums have skyrocketed. The RedBrick health system for "earning" HSA dollars is an invasion of privacy. Vacation time is terrible (not allowed over holidays, day after thanksgiving not a holiday, etc). The technology they use (HR website, SharePoint, etc) is outdated and not user friendly. The equipment sent over for the home office is over 5 years old. The town hall meetings with management are a waste of time becuase they don't address any real issues, only highlight their few wins and focus on earnings and how we need to do better to line the boards' pockets. Transferring between accounts is needlessly painful. They do have an annual Engagement Survey but the results are basically ignored (especially when the same things come up in every survey). They treat us like we should be THANKFUL we have a job when we discuss the survey or bonuses or whatever.

Due to your aging travel agent workforce, the company is not appealing for young professionals. You have possibly the worst corporate communication I've ever dealt with. Emails are frequently sent out with errors and end up retracted. Send to emails are not listed in BCC which results in many people hitting reply all which sends a cascade of emails to my inbox. If I could unsubscribe to your corporate emails, I would. Your company has gotten too large for blanket policies. You need to start subdividing into divisions to create new policies. What is good for a 65 year old travel agent doesn't work for a 30 something meeting planner. You've started with the CWT M&E but that is a teeny step in a very vast desert.

Worked for Carlson Wagonlit? Contribute to the Community!