www.carlsonwagonlit.com

Updated December 20, 2014
3.1

Carlson Wagonlit Travel President and CEO Douglas Anderson
Douglas Anderson

Pros
  • Strong flexibility to work from home when needed (in 6 reviews)

• Working environment is good; proper training and development is provided; employees are supportive (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • But then they will tell you that work-life balance is important (in 8 reviews)

• New upper management cleaned house too lean that has put a stress on staff (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Carlson Wagonlit Travel

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I very much enjoyed working for CWT. The management is friendly and supportive, and the culture inspires best efforts from everyone. I trusted my co-workers and management to accomplish joint objectives.

Cons

It's very difficult to get promoted as the best jobs are taken and because it's a great place to work, no one is really going anywhere. Top spots are generally recruited outside of the company.

I love working for CWT

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit Travel

Pros

CWT has extremely good leadership, the company values are very important, and they also focus a lot on company culture. There is also a large amount of personal growth that goes on at this company.

Cons

The only thing that bummed me out was that there are not a lot of travel perks, which was very surprising to me. I wish they would focus on allowing there own employees to receive travel benefits.

So-So

Former Employee - Senior Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not much. Difficult to advance.

Cons

Very cliqish. Need to know "someone" to advance. Technology leaves a bit to be desired. Chgs very 2 years.

Middle mgmt. should not lie to frontline employees.

Sr. Travel Counselor

Former Employee - Senior Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Good benefits. Nothing else. :(

Cons

Started 12/03. Annual raises were from .2-3%. Goals not realistic with calls. Company has lost a few accounts due to CWT managers. Knowledge/ expertise not rewarded. Promotion is non existent. Too much middle mangers doing what? Agents pushed to improve stats. but overlook the problems with each call. Micromanaged. Hours cut to 35.5/ week but increased workload. Frontline IT apps are totally useless/ cumbersome. No input from users during a build. Upper mgmt. does not really care about employee surveys as nothing changes. Laid off when acct. was moved to a call center and then acct. left. Go figure.

Listen to front-line agents who generate the revenue. Terminate all the middle managers in Mpls.

OK company to work for.. You have to be friends with the right people to advance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time

Pros

-Global company, work with people from all over the world
    -Strong flexibility to work from home when needed
    -Some really smart, friendly and fun people

Cons

-Poor benefits in the US (really bad 401K plan, medical plan is a joke with a min deductible of $1,600 per year for an individual and $3,200 for a couple, privately held company so no stakes/stock is given).
    -Poor work/life balance.. you are expected to be available anytime, take calls in the middle of the night.. company promotes people based on age (you have to be old), and who you are friends with (be part of THE boys' club).
    -Salaries are much lower than market average overall.. that's the pay philosophy
    -Everything is a fire drill, many people are based all over the world which creates strong organizational dysfunctions
    -Too many VPs for such a small organization creates a corporate culture of strong egos

- Improve financial benefits
    - Improve your OLD SCHOOL corporate philosophy and be open to learn from Gen Y, who will represent 70% of your workforce in 10 years
    - Stop acting like a Fortune 100 company when CWT is in reality a small company with ~4,000 corporate people.

dont go there

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

no no no no no

Cons

management is not helpful overall

Great place to work

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and collaboration, opportunities for advancement if you raise your hand and take the wheel

Cons

Too lean in many departments, leads to lack of work/life balance

Support and listen to your direct reports to better understand current issues and morale

Wonderful Company to Work For

Former Employee - Corporate Travel Agent in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Travel Agent in Tyler, TX

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Training, helpful leadership, excellent technology

Cons

Large and hard to move up

Great place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership is focused, great benefits

Cons

none, good work life balance

Clueless about their front line face to the customer

Current Employee - Corporate Travel Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Travel Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Carlson Wagonlit Travel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

you get a paycheck. There's a health plan, but it's a joke.

Cons

Front line people, the agents to interact with the clients, are treated like kindergarteners. The disrespect for the people that actually do the work is legendary. Despite having jobs that require an enormous wealth of knowledge and expertise, agents are treated like unskilled labor. There is no respect for the people who make all those posh salaries possible. While the mother-ship has great life/work balance, we on the front lines can't even get a day off for a funeral with begging. It's humiliating.

Get a clue. Spend time with your front line. Learn what we do and how we do it....and treat us with the same respect would would treat your EVP. Try remembering that if we don't do our jobs well, you don't have one. For the record, it wasn't always like this. When I started, I was amazed by the caring and compassionate management chain. You felt like you were part of a whole. Now, we're just worker bees....and dumb ones at that (or so a middle manager was heard to comment at an all-hands event.)