Carluccio's

Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

Simon Kossoff

nice

I have been working at Carluccio's

Pros

CHance to grow in the team

Cons

No proper time is there

All right as part time job

Former Employee - Waiter  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good money from tips, lucky with a great manager- you'll have a great time and earn good money. Wouldn't make a career out of it though- seems hard to go up the ladder.

Cons

The general hospitality stuff- long hours, scarce breaks, just hard work!

Recognition for staff is very important and not all managers get it right.

Hard work but a good culture and very flexible

Current Employee - Waiter  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tips are mostly your own, there is room for growth. They have a strong brand and loyal customers which means it is fast paced and potentially very profitable as a short term role. Staff are all very well trained and/or experienced and create a pleasant atmosphere throughout the company. I have worked within 3 Carluccio's across the UK

Cons

Work-Life balance is a major issue, hours can be demanding and high pressured. In addition, this job is not for the physically unfit as it demands a fast paced working ability, an adept mind and good resilience that can often be tested, making work-related fatigue a big issue.
    Management are very target driven which causes disparity between what constitutes the being a restaurant against being a Cafe. Almost too profit concious which causes internal issues regarding their processes.

I would recommend a less negative- driven - reinforcement approach as motivational techniques. In a high pressure environment to which your mood often affects your ability, positive reinforcement gets better results. Don't put so much pressure on targets so much so that a restaurant is limited in its function eg. Saving money but not refurbishing old wares, or reducing staff hours to save on expenditure. Drifting away from the essentials puts unnecessary pressure on the day-to-day job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful staff culture

Former Employee - Waiter  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time

Pros

Free meal on shift, paid weekly, some very nice customers

Cons

The problem working here was not the customers but the staff, particularly the female managers. General manager was about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. She was miserable, bitchy and only gave you an ounce of respect if you constantly sucked up her backside. This attitude affected the majority of the staff who could not get on and there was constantly something bitchy being passed around. Never been so unhappy at work as I was working here.

Big shake up of management and start treating your staff with a bit more respect. Staff should be rewarded on hard work, not on how brown their noses are.

Management training a shambles to say the least.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Carluccio's as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Carluccio's appear to know how to run a successful restaurant group. However they say one thing and act in a totally different way!

Cons

Carluccio's big their managers up so much im surprised half of the managers heads can fit through the door. Carluccio's expect the world from management, expect them to have no social life and no family life. Personal growth in this company is very limited due to higher level management not being trained to the appropriate level. This brand has grown far too quickly in size, and will pay a heavy price for this in the future as they do not have the workforce or resources to cope with the strains of maintaining the standards they brag on about.

A huge management shake up. Create movement for General Managers/Assistant Managers to get promotion.

It is an exciting blend of casual meets classy.

Current Employee - Waitress  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waitress in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Carluccio's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hours are really flexible - you can easily book holiday swap shifts.
    The atmosphere promotes confidence and personal growth, and makes you more outgoing. Also provides many more opportunities for socialising.
    Also, the food is delicious and you get 50% off meals, meaning you can dine out with friends more often.

Cons

It s a very stressful job, and also a lot of hard work. You are constantly on your feet, running around the restaurant. Some days you won't have time to eat or have a break

More rewards for those doing well - in upselling etc.

Well managed professional company.

Former Employee - Antipasti Chef  in  Bath, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Antipasti Chef in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Carluccios pay weekly, which if you're young a bit skint, is great.
    Generally high standards are upheld throughout the kitchen and I got the chance to work with great, fresh, quality produce.
    Management were helpful, organised and efficient.

Cons

I felt I wasn't given the opportunity to improve with carluccios quick enough, as a chef of around 2 years experience and an ability to learn quickly, it would have been nice to know my options for the future and I probably would have extended my working career with them

I experienced no issues with management in my time at carluccios.

Lovely people, great training, boring job.

Former Employee - Deli Assistant  in  Walton-on-Thames, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Deli Assistant in Walton-on-Thames, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours were quite good, early start and early finish. Great training, lots to learn.

Cons

Doing the same thing every day is extremely boring and repetitive

If an employee has far more potential to excel in other roles do not hold them back, they will get bored and leave and it will effect your turnover and training costs.

Cool place to work BUT it's hard work so not for the faint hearted

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, great food, great italian food knowledge and history..

Cons

Long hrs and Hard team to break into....and only two weeks holiday can be taken together.

More managerial incentive and recognition.

Left a poor taste in my mouth.

Former Employee - Waiter  in  Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pro's were that the tips made my wage up to a decent living wage. I was paid minimum wage by the employer but tips often doubled this on a good shift. You did get your meal for free if you came in to eat with a friend/family, so discounts were from 50% off your bill to 10% (if you had a large party) although this wasn't always the case (managers discretion).

Cons

My boss stole money from tables I was waiting on to'teach me a lesson'(I did later get this money back, but after thinking for my shift I was upwards of 50 pounds out of pocket.). I often had tips taken from me to make up for 'lost' money, without any evidence being presented. I was stretched so thin at work that I was unable to do anything resembling decent service, often having as few as 2 waiters on a lunch shift, caring for 15-20 tables each. I never got off on time, an example shift would be working the morning (7am - 4pm) shift and not getting off until 6 or 7, without over time pay or any extra brakes. In regards to breaks we were issued a single 20 minute break for any shift over 6 hours, with shifts sometimes being as long as 13 hours, a single 20 minute break was not enough and I lost around 20lb of weight in the first month of working there (I was not a large man to begin with).
    Perhaps it was just the branch I was working for (I had no issues with the regional manager or any higher ups when speaking to them), but I would not recommend for anyone to work here for any length of time.

Reevaluate your priorities.

Worked for Carluccio's? Contribute to the Community!