Carluccio's Reviews

3.4
Neil Wickers

1. Good place to start.

I have been working at Carluccio's

Pros

Nice friendly work environment, good food to eat and usually busy.

Cons

Long hours, no real chance of advancement.

Advice to Management

Talk more with employees.

2. Crazy boss and slow dining room

I worked at Carluccio's full-time

Pros

Minimal training and more freedom than working in a corporate restaurant

Cons

You got screamed at by the owner and he also argues with customers causing her not to come back and eat there which affects tip

3. Great Training! But be ready for a lot of hard work, pressure from above and saying good bye to a social life .

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training is fantastic thanks to the company trainer herself! You learn a ton about Italian food, language and culture. You also learn a lot about back of house management, PnL's, budgets, staff management, stock management. Lots of enthusiasm when you first start with the company. Great as a starter restaurant for managerial careers in London if you don't have much experience, also good if you are in for the long haul and expect to be with the company for the next 10+ years and want to progress to Op's. Fantastic training Grad Scheme. Trips to Italy if you manage to get your waiters to win wine selling comps.

Cons

General: Once trained it can go either one of 2 ways. Managers will either progress over a long period of time, learning every small detail about the company before finally becoming an ops after about 8-10 years of lots of hard work being a GM and still love working for this company, but there's too much pressure to meet budgets and deadlines and to constantly cut staff labour. This makes the offers of the bonus schemes quite un-obtainable for some sites. Staff Progression in management: Can be very slow even if you're extremely experienced, you could be AGM for at least a couple of years. Where as some inexperienced AM's are instantly made GM and do not receive much support, for example being given another capable manager or key holder to help run the site. Pay: OK: but not the best! Great if you're starting out in London and don't have much managerial experience (you will learn a hell of a lot about running a restaurant in this job!) but after that pay is very low considering the skills you have and especially for a London wage. Work/Life balance: Dependant on site shifts can be 630am-4pm/12-9/12-cls/3-cls, sometimes BACK2BACK shifts are required. 5 shifts a week, sometimes 6 if lots of staff on holiday. Contracts for 45hrs but you could work up to 60 without overtime GM usually has Sunday off although late night taxis are paid up to a certain amount for managers.

Advice to Management

Less pressure and focus cutting staff labour and consistent cutting to save money and more focus staff engagement, staff benefits, Happy Staff will make you more money than Unhappy Staff! The company feels outdated for it's size.

5. Carluccio's

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time

Pros

Great mix of people - a lot of 'career' waiters who are age 30+ and are very passionate about customer service. Fantastic training programme.

Cons

Long shifts/ hours, rotas not always done in advance. Stressful shifts can leave you very worn out. Less opportunity for progression outside of London.

6. I'm not stupid!

Former Employee - Waiter in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in Leicester, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous discount when dining with one friend only (50%) and good tips.

Cons

Long hours with little breaks working with selfish team members under poor management. Very negative environment!

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and encourage their personal development.

7. not good experience

Former Employee - Waitress in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waitress in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have nice colleagues and meet lot of nice customers. I had good week training because we were opening a new restaurant, but it's not always like that.

Cons

The company is just concentrate on its growing and for that reason need to cut as much as they can. Staff have "imaginary" breaks. Never during working hours but only when have split shift or at the end of the shift. Staff food always very poor quality. They expect staff to produce more even cutting they hours. Sometimes there are just two members of staff covering a restaurant. It's funny when they stress you about mystery diners and the seven steps when sometimes it's hard to find clean cutlery or glasses too. It's hard to have a barista on shift so staff have to make the drinks for customers (funny because during the training I was told I was not aloud to make drinks without a barista training). They should understand how important it is give a good customer service. They should give staff the tools to do it. Also I could see the quality of food getting poorest.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking about your bonuses. If you reach your target is because your staff and not for your job. Stop staying in the offices eating free food.

8. Good

Former Employee - Waiter
    Former Employee - Waiter

I worked at Carluccio's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a brilliant HR team which come up with all sorts of schemes which for me added a bit of excitement it the job. Trips to Italy, bottles of wine, nice person and employee of the month (although never monthly) are all very achievable. Carluccios are big on being 'nice' within the company, it's a recruiting policy and filters down to the culture at store level and ops manager. If you can work on a new store opening there is fantastic training and you can learn a lot about Italian food. Tips are amazing for floor staff as you keep cash and give a small % to tronc on card tips. If you have a request in advance managers will be able to give you the time off most of the time! Good food, if people complain you have power to replace/change offer things which is good.

Cons

As with any restaurant, if it's busy you can't take a break, and if it's busy you are expected to stay later than your shift- with pay of course. The restaurant I worked was very busy which means waiters have 1/2 restaurant each, good for tips but stressful for those who can't hack it. GMs change frequently, lots of perks for GMs and FoH but I saw very little going on for. BoH and assistants who are always overlooked.

Advice to Management

I heard carluccios recently cancelled free taxis to/from work for managers. I wonder if they have really considered the consequences and what it says about how they value employees.

9. Why I love hospitality!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, started from the bottom and worked hard, hopefully soon to be GM as well so going well. Training is really good, promotions comes if your willing to put the work in! Great company

Cons

As we're getting bigger, menu changes becoming slightly evident. Need to keep that traditional Italian experience.

10. one of the best company i ever worked with !

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

fantastic trainers with lots of experience . very organized . always willing to help you . and very understanding .and its a joy to work with the team as they seems to always help eachother and its like a family business ! with a reconison of lots of regulars as well .

Cons

as every job its very challanging with its benefits . hours are the hardest at time especially when we have to cover holidays and working through 16-17 days before having a day off !

Advice to Management

I am very pleased with the company , maybe will be nice to have some extras when we have to do all the covering shifts as we really never able to do less to balance out! and for sure there will be more help and less problem !

11. nice

I have been working at Carluccio's

Pros

CHance to grow in the team

Cons

No proper time is there

RSS Feed </> Embed