Carluccio's

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Simon Kossoff

It is an exciting blend of casual meets classy.

Waitress (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

ProsThe hours are really flexible - you can easily book holiday swap shifts.
    The atmosphere promotes confidence and personal growth, and makes you more outgoing. Also provides many more opportunities for socialising.
    Also, the food is delicious and you get 50% off meals, meaning you can dine out with friends more often.

ConsIt s a very stressful job, and also a lot of hard work. You are constantly on your feet, running around the restaurant. Some days you won't have time to eat or have a break

Advice to Senior ManagementMore rewards for those doing well - in upselling etc.

Management training a shambles to say the least.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCarluccio's appear to know how to run a successful restaurant group. However they say one thing and act in a totally different way!

ConsCarluccio's big their managers up so much im surprised half of the managers heads can fit through the door. Carluccio's expect the world from management, expect them to have no social life and no family life. Personal growth in this company is very limited due to higher level management not being trained to the appropriate level. This brand has grown far too quickly in size, and will pay a heavy price for this in the future as they do not have the workforce or resources to cope with the strains of maintaining the standards they brag on about.

Advice to Senior ManagementA huge management shake up. Create movement for General Managers/Assistant Managers to get promotion.

Well managed professional company.

Antipasti Chef (Former Employee) Bath, England (UK)

ProsCarluccios pay weekly, which if you're young a bit skint, is great.
    Generally high standards are upheld throughout the kitchen and I got the chance to work with great, fresh, quality produce.
    Management were helpful, organised and efficient.

ConsI felt I wasn't given the opportunity to improve with carluccios quick enough, as a chef of around 2 years experience and an ability to learn quickly, it would have been nice to know my options for the future and I probably would have extended my working career with them

Advice to Senior ManagementI experienced no issues with management in my time at carluccios.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cool place to work BUT it's hard work so not for the faint hearted

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood pay, great food, great italian food knowledge and history..

ConsLong hrs and Hard team to break into....and only two weeks holiday can be taken together.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore managerial incentive and recognition.

Left a poor taste in my mouth.

Waiter (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe pro's were that the tips made my wage up to a decent living wage. I was paid minimum wage by the employer but tips often doubled this on a good shift. You did get your meal for free if you came in to eat with a friend/family, so discounts were from 50% off your bill to 10% (if you had a large party) although this wasn't always the case (managers discretion).

ConsMy boss stole money from tables I was waiting on to'teach me a lesson'(I did later get this money back, but after thinking for my shift I was upwards of 50 pounds out of pocket.). I often had tips taken from me to make up for 'lost' money, without any evidence being presented. I was stretched so thin at work that I was unable to do anything resembling decent service, often having as few as 2 waiters on a lunch shift, caring for 15-20 tables each. I never got off on time, an example shift would be working the morning (7am - 4pm) shift and not getting off until 6 or 7, without over time pay or any extra brakes. In regards to breaks we were issued a single 20 minute break for any shift over 6 hours, with shifts sometimes being as long as 13 hours, a single 20 minute break was not enough and I lost around 20lb of weight in the first month of working there (I was not a large man to begin with).
    Perhaps it was just the branch I was working for (I had no issues with the regional manager or any higher ups when speaking to them), but I would not recommend for anyone to work here for any length of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate your priorities.

Enjoyable

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking hours are usually stable for me and I don't feel taken advantage of by being on a salary, which has happened for me with other similar companies.
    Free meals (and coffee!) whilst on shift is a great bonus and one that I don't think everyone fully appreciates
    We are encouraged to focus on the customers' needs at all times - how hospitality should be.
    Training at the start of employment was excellent and courses are always available throughout your time with them.

ConsI find the job can get repetitive at times - doing the same things day in day out.

Not great

Waitress (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful co-workers, always busy, lovely guests. Got to meet lots of different people. You are offered a meal in your breaks off a staff menu and you are paid weekly.

ConsLots of strict rules and impossible standards. Hard to make relationships with customers and encourage them to come back, due to certain steps you have you uphold.
    Little room to make mistake and learn from them as you are constantly scrutinised. Expected to carry boiling hot plates without any form of protection. I worked for them for four months and after training and many shifts, I was finally told that I was just not good enough with little explanation. Don't understand this as I has been waitressing for three years before hand and now work at an even bigger restaurant with no complaints and less stress. They say there informal, however they don't act like it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you think someone is struggling, offer extra help before just saying goodbye. Listen to the positive feedback from customers and not just the negative. Show more compassion to your staff and remember when you just started.

Fun, hard work, fast paced and lively work environment.

Deli Assistant (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsWorking with a great team, always really fun promotional competitions on the deli, excellent managers. Very busy and exciting place to work in!

ConsLong hours often with short breaks, tiring work, but nothing really apart from that! All in all a great place to work.

Friendly warm welcome, lots of training & plenty of hours!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe best things are the people, in every different branch there are friendly warm people that are always will to help and train new staff. Nothing seems too much trouble for most of the friendly staff. There is lots of training and potential to far within the company.

Consthe hours are challenging. the hospitality sector has unsociable hours as it is but sometimes you are expected to work 14-16 hour days, 6 days a week without any extra overtime pay or holiday days. It sometimes makes you think twice about working here

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing despite the company expansion. The whole family concept and philosophies are really important and I hope it will not be lost with the current rapid expansion of the company. The customers love us for what we do well and it would be a shame to lose this customer expereience

A smile cannot fix everything.

Front of the House (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFlexibility on hours; easy job; great front of the house staff to work with most of the times; location of the restaurant.

ConsMinimum wage; poor quality of back of the house facilities and employees; uncomfortable uniforms; no perception of awareness or care for staff from Ops Managers and above; wrong culture for dealing with staff needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no need to look for managers for your restaurants outside the company when you have a lot of waiters who spend years working for you and perhaps even looking to progress to get a decent salary. I also saw many times that any potential disasters affecting customers were fixed with a smile and a discount from the floor managers. I always had the feeling that all that money spent on discounts was in the end keeping the staff from get anything else than the minimum wage (and let's not talk about tips because not everyone gets them and they are not fixed and more often than not problems related to lack of stock, poor quality of toilets or other reasons usually would ruin any tips.) Carluccios is a great concept in theory. But just in theory as it stands at the moment. For the record, I have no hard feelings for the company and this is an objective and impartial opinion. I no longer work for Carluccios and I had great times while working there. But since I was asked to fill this form, here is what I really think.

Worked for Carluccio's? Contribute to the Community!