Carluccio's

Simon Kossoff

Good

Former Employee - Waiter
    Former Employee - Waiter

I worked at Carluccio's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a brilliant HR team which come up with all sorts of schemes which for me added a bit of excitement it the job. Trips to Italy, bottles of wine, nice person and employee of the month (although never monthly) are all very achievable. Carluccios are big on being 'nice' within the company, it's a recruiting policy and filters down to the culture at store level and ops manager. If you can work on a new store opening there is fantastic training and you can learn a lot about Italian food. Tips are amazing for floor staff as you keep cash and give a small % to tronc on card tips. If you have a request in advance managers will be able to give you the time off most of the time! Good food, if people complain you have power to replace/change offer things which is good.

Cons

As with any restaurant, if it's busy you can't take a break, and if it's busy you are expected to stay later than your shift- with pay of course. The restaurant I worked was very busy which means waiters have 1/2 restaurant each, good for tips but stressful for those who can't hack it. GMs change frequently, lots of perks for GMs and FoH but I saw very little going on for. BoH and assistants who are always overlooked.

I heard carluccios recently cancelled free taxis to/from work for managers. I wonder if they have really considered the consequences and what it says about how they value employees.

Good place to start.

I have been working at Carluccio's

Pros

Nice friendly work environment, good food to eat and usually busy.

Cons

Long hours, no real chance of advancement.

Talk more with employees.

Why I love hospitality!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company, started from the bottom and worked hard, hopefully soon to be GM as well so going well. Training is really good, promotions comes if your willing to put the work in! Great company

Cons

As we're getting bigger, menu changes becoming slightly evident. Need to keep that traditional Italian experience.

one of the best company i ever worked with !

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fantastic trainers with lots of experience . very organized . always willing to help you . and very understanding .and its a joy to work with the team as they seems to always help eachother and its like a family business !
    with a reconison of lots of regulars as well .

Cons

as every job its very challanging with its benefits . hours are the hardest at time especially when we have to cover holidays and working through 16-17 days before having a day off !

I am very pleased with the company , maybe will be nice to have some extras when we have to do all the covering shifts as we really never able to do less to balance out! and for sure there will be more help and less problem !

All right as part time job

Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good money from tips, lucky with a great manager- you'll have a great time and earn good money. Wouldn't make a career out of it though- seems hard to go up the ladder.

Cons

The general hospitality stuff- long hours, scarce breaks, just hard work!

Recognition for staff is very important and not all managers get it right.

nice

I have been working at Carluccio's

Pros

CHance to grow in the team

Cons

No proper time is there

Awful staff culture

Former Employee - Waiter in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waiter in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Carluccio's full-time

Pros

Free meal on shift, paid weekly, some very nice customers

Cons

The problem working here was not the customers but the staff, particularly the female managers. General manager was about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. She was miserable, bitchy and only gave you an ounce of respect if you constantly sucked up her backside. This attitude affected the majority of the staff who could not get on and there was constantly something bitchy being passed around. Never been so unhappy at work as I was working here.

Big shake up of management and start treating your staff with a bit more respect. Staff should be rewarded on hard work, not on how brown their noses are.

Hard work but a good culture and very flexible

Current Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waiter in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carluccio's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tips are mostly your own, there is room for growth. They have a strong brand and loyal customers which means it is fast paced and potentially very profitable as a short term role. Staff are all very well trained and/or experienced and create a pleasant atmosphere throughout the company. I have worked within 3 Carluccio's across the UK

Cons

Work-Life balance is a major issue, hours can be demanding and high pressured. In addition, this job is not for the physically unfit as it demands a fast paced working ability, an adept mind and good resilience that can often be tested, making work-related fatigue a big issue.
    Management are very target driven which causes disparity between what constitutes the being a restaurant against being a Cafe. Almost too profit concious which causes internal issues regarding their processes.

I would recommend a less negative- driven - reinforcement approach as motivational techniques. In a high pressure environment to which your mood often affects your ability, positive reinforcement gets better results. Don't put so much pressure on targets so much so that a restaurant is limited in its function eg. Saving money but not refurbishing old wares, or reducing staff hours to save on expenditure. Drifting away from the essentials puts unnecessary pressure on the day-to-day job.

It is an exciting blend of casual meets classy.

Current Employee - Waitress in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Waitress in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Carluccio's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are really flexible - you can easily book holiday swap shifts.
    The atmosphere promotes confidence and personal growth, and makes you more outgoing. Also provides many more opportunities for socialising.
    Also, the food is delicious and you get 50% off meals, meaning you can dine out with friends more often.

Cons

It s a very stressful job, and also a lot of hard work. You are constantly on your feet, running around the restaurant. Some days you won't have time to eat or have a break

More rewards for those doing well - in upselling etc.

Management training a shambles to say the least.

Current Contractor - Assistant Manager
    Current Contractor - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Carluccio's as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Carluccio's appear to know how to run a successful restaurant group. However they say one thing and act in a totally different way!

Cons

Carluccio's big their managers up so much im surprised half of the managers heads can fit through the door. Carluccio's expect the world from management, expect them to have no social life and no family life. Personal growth in this company is very limited due to higher level management not being trained to the appropriate level. This brand has grown far too quickly in size, and will pay a heavy price for this in the future as they do not have the workforce or resources to cope with the strains of maintaining the standards they brag on about.

A huge management shake up. Create movement for General Managers/Assistant Managers to get promotion.