Carmel Clay Schools Reviews

Barb Underwood

1. Supportive and encouraging administration, excellent work environment

Current Employee - Secretary
    Current Employee - Secretary

I have been working at Carmel Clay Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

School hours, working with students and engaged teachers

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement and no compensation for your actual work (i.e., your are paid according to the schedule, not your ability)

2. Good organization that has good benefits

I worked at Carmel Clay Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

wellness center, 5 weeks vacation and 12 sick days each year, good health insurance

Cons

Central office culture became very stressful.

3. Family

Former Employee - Instructional Assistant in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Instructional Assistant in Carmel, IN

I worked at Carmel Clay Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a great environment for learning and it felt great to be a part of something that I felt was making a difference.

Cons

Your supervising teacher can make your life great or a living hell. Mine was great and she treated her IAs like co-workers while still maintaining control.

promote from within and try to hold onto talent more.

5. Good employer

Current Employee - Bus Aide in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Bus Aide in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Carmel Clay Schools part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My position as a Bus Aide is great for anyone looking for a part-time position. The middle of my day is freed to make appointments and run errands. I also have my summer off. You get to work with some great people who really love what they do. The kids are great.

Cons

The hours are the downside: I work 6-8 in the morning and then 2-4 in the afternoon. The only benefits are 5 sick days and 2 personal days (on the plus side, the sick days do carry over to the next school year). You do not get paid for any holidays off including the two weeks off for winter break and the week off for spring break.

6. Lots of favoritism and people being promoted who are not capable of leading.

Former Employee - Instructional Assistant
    Former Employee - Instructional Assistant

I worked at Carmel Clay Schools

Pros

Students and parents are wonderful. Couldn't be luckier to work with such great and caring families. Great resources too.

Cons

Management is horrible. They hire people based on looks and favoritism. The vice principal always had a staff member to pick on until they could terminate them. Eventually this behavior will catch up to them. Pay is really low because of area.

Stop being so prejudice and see your employees for who they are. There are a lot of staff members waiting for their chance to be full time right in your school. Look at everyone, not just the sorority type women.

7. Instructional Assistant

Former Employee - Building IA in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Building IA in Carmel, IN

I worked at Carmel Clay Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schools are clean, students are mostly well behaved, lots of technology and teachers are easy to get along with. Steady hours, no overtime.

Cons

There is virtually no training as you are not allowed to come in before your first day to get a lay of the land. As a non-teaching staff member, be prepared to be out of the loop because you cannot attend staff meeting.

Introduce IAs to teachers please!

8. Excellent suburban school system

Former Employee - AVID Tutor in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - AVID Tutor in Carmel, IN

I worked at Carmel Clay Schools part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Carmel Clay Schools are located in Carmel, Indiana, recently voted one of the best cities in which to live. The facilities are excellent creating a pleasant working environment. The parents are very involved in the school system, which can be a pro and a con. Many parents volunteer within the school system, highly value education, and encourage their children to succeed. It is a large school system offering advanced academics, competitive sports, and a highly regarded performing arts department.

Cons

Hiring decisions are frequently delayed until just before the start of the school year leaving employees uncertain. Changes to schedules and responsibilities were made with little notice or regard to the employee.

9. Subbing at the High School has been an amazing experience.

I have been working at Carmel Clay Schools

Pros

The students are certainly the school's greatest asset. There are many worthy teachers at the school. The students have a reasonable amount of resources with which to do their studies. The food service is good, as is the custodial and maintenance service. The administration seems to have the best interests of the students at heart.

Cons

The pay rate, $65 day, is the most significant con having to do with this position. Also, there is that under current that suggests that somehow the substitutes are second rate district staff. This district pays the least out of the several districts for whom I have worked.

Consider a different compensation pay scale, such as increasing a subs rate $5 year for each of service up to a cap of $100 day. Also, performance reviews would be helpful and could be added to the compensation formula.

10. Carmel Clay sub review

I have been working at Carmel Clay Schools

Pros

Job flexibility - nice students/teachers

Cons

Substitute teacher pay is inadequate

Substitute teachers have a lot of responsibility and should be compensated accordingly unless they want unprofessional people subbing.

11. shop around first but work opportunities are good

I have been working at Carmel Clay Schools part-time

Pros

Good colleagues. OK structure. Atmosphere as expected if know area.

Cons

Not on par with other counties in terms of compensation.