Carmike Cinemas

Updated December 7, 2014
2.5

Carmike Cinemas President, CEO, and Director S. David Passman III
S. David Passman III

Pros
  • Watching free movies is pretty awesome, but Carmike has stricter rules than other places (in 59 reviews)

• Free movies and popcorn, okay hours if you have open availability and make sale goals, most but not all staff members were cool (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • He does not care about balancing work with school which is obviously more important than a minimum wage job (in 18 reviews)

• Extremely low pay relative to the hours you work and your responsibilities (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Working here has pros and cons

Current Employee - Cinema in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Cinema in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You build a family working here free movies free popcorn and teamwork

Cons

No raises need more promotions and better communication with managers

Some workers work their tails off and deserve a raise

Fun, laid back environment for younger people.

Former Employee - Assistant Complex Manager in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Complex Manager in Savannah, GA

I worked at Carmike Cinemas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, very low stress, easy to make friends and enjoy the work that you do. The obvious perk of working for a movie theater, at least when I worked there, was that I could bring one guest plus myself per week to watch a movie on Carmike.

Cons

Compensation is lacking. It is minimum wage for everyone, and by the time you become a salaried employee(if you ever get the opportunity) you will be paid probably less than minimum wage when you break it down by the hour. For over one year I was an assistant manager of a 10 auditorium theater. My work schedule was five days a week, open to close (in my case, 10am to roughly midnight everyday, 60-70 hours every week). When midnight movies play, the hours increased until 2 or 3 am in the morning.
    Advancement opportunities are limited, and half the time I watched the company bring in less qualified people from outside the company rather than promote from within, even for those individuals that were qualified.
    Sick leave is virtually non-existent, kind of like paid time off. If management ever gives you a Carmike handbook, it details all the things you are eligible for. If you are wise enough to read it and beg enough, you will eventually get your paid time off, but it is not easy.
    Sick leave is not paid, and neither is maternal leave.
    Vacation time fluctuates some, I cannot remember the exact numbers as it has been several years since I worked there, but it is something like:
    After one year employed full time, you get 3 days of vacation time.
    After two years employed full time, you get one week of vacation time.
    3 years and more, you get two weeks of paid vacation time.
    When I worked there I read and understood the policies in the workbook, but when I asked my supervisor about my paid vacation time (as I worked there for nearly three years) he became upset and told me the theater might go under if I weren't there. I explained to him that it was one of the few benefits of working there, and he eventually did bring it up to our district manager, who also seemed reluctant to authorize it. In the end I got it, but it wasn't easy.
    Promotion potential is limited, and even then I'm not quiet sure I would call it a promotion.
    Additionally, health insurance is available for the assistant complex and complex managers, but it is a costly plan with high co-pays that seems lacking. I cannot remember what all it included and did not, and I guess some insurance is better than none, but it really seemed pretty bad in comparison to other companies that I have worked for.

Your stock price has more than tripled in the last few years. Surely that cannot be the work of only the managers at the top in the districts, regions, and above. Share some of that money with the employees that are the face of the company. Offering better wages would not only improve the applicant pool, but it would allow the company to keep better people on staff. I worked in theaters where theft happened and half the time management was in on it because they felt dissatisfied with their situation. That is in no way okay or acceptable behavior, but better opportunities would lend way to a higher caliber of personnel.

No respect

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas (more than an year)

Pros

Easy job, little responsibility, 35 minute breaks

Cons

No respect, minimum wage, gross jobs

You may be fortunate to luck up to get a great District Manager, if not your doomed!

Current Employee - Complex Manager
    Current Employee - Complex Manager

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You get to meet and greet people (customers) from all over. The guest is what keep you coming back to work!

Cons

The corporate office allow District Managers to retaliate against the managers. If you follow the proper protocol that doesn't mean a thing to them because they allow their DM's to get away with anything I guess so they wouldn't have to deal with it. The HR manager shows favoritism so if she's friends with your DM you are out of luck once again so don't think your conversation will be confidential.

Y'all lose great GM's due to horrible acting DM's and y'all should be ashamed that you call this company family! Lights, camera, NO ACTION

Typical Movie Theatre experience

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Carmike Cinemas part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule to be able to spend time with family

Cons

Not enough hours to have enough money to pay your bills

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Wilson, NC

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free movies, popcorn, and soda at that time for yourself also immediate family. Sneek peak of upcoming films, and all over fun place to work

Cons

Some nights late hours...if there is a late show may get out at 3 am. Nightly inventory of all concession stand items behind counter and store all the way to each popcorn bag, lid, candy, etc.........You have to work EVERY holiday....Thanksgiving, Christmas, doesn't matter ALL HOLIDAYS!!!!!!

Make sure everything is in working order, if not push corporate to fix it in a timely manner. Watch your staff closely if inventory is off there could be theft or carelessness which comes back on you.

More work then you get paid for.

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you get to watch free movies and bring two people with you, so that's always nice other then that I can't really think of anything else

Cons

For the amount of work you put in you would think you would be able to get the same type of pay for work that you do, apparently CARMIKE does not I use to be surprised and astonished at the turn over rate now that I have gotten to know the company more I am no longer surprised lol. Corporate will make management and staffs job a living hell with payroll cuts the worst part is not getting x1.5 an hour on a holiday even Christmas, oh and did I mention that just about every holiday you have to just about work anyways this company is filled with so much greed and could care less about their employees.

make sure you fight for your employees because at the end of the day they are the ones talking to your customers.

Good for a high school student

Current Employee - Staff Leader in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Leader in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get off work.

Cons

No paid time off. So the only way to make money is by working as many hours as you can

Get new management.

Carmike responds to management suggestions.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are the coworkers and employees.

Cons

I have not experienced cons yet, but Carmike has only acquired this theater a few months ago.

My advice to management would be to remove boundaries between upper management and lower management. It's difficult for lower management to get things done when they have to depend on their manager to tell someone else what needs to be done.

Decent first job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Carmike Cinemas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies and sometimes free popcorn and drinks; receiving a paycheck

Cons

NO work-life balance whatsoever; Constantly raising prices, even when unnecessary; Unfair to employees; rarely any raises are given; hours are scarce, paychecks are fluctuant

Carmike Cinemas Photos