Carney

Updated Jun 2, 2014

John Carney

Carney Cares

(Former Employee)

ProsWhen I was hired at carney they immediately made me feel welcome and made sure I had all the tools to do my job effectively. The staff and the teams are very talented and they look for innovative people rather than employees to fill a chair. They invest in you with training and will not let you stay at one skill level. They will give you frequent feedback to make sure you know how your path is improving and set goals for your next steps in your career. HR is very responsive and the core middle management Team is very talented and approachable.

They want you to contribute and be apart of the Team and If you commit to this company they will repay you in a long term employment.

ConsMeetings are very frequent and processes are heavy. Open Floor plan with Cubes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up the dress code, bring Team group offices with private manager offices with a door. Also.... have fun activities more often. People work very hard at your company, they should be able to play hard as well.

Great long-term experience

DA4 (Former Employee)
    Alexandria, VA

ProsThe employees are of high caliber that all worked hard to produce high quality knowledge solutions. Good growth potential with managers that also serve as mentors. It's a great place for those willing to seek out opportunities within the company. Benefits are fair an promotion comes to those willing to work hard and expand their influence within the company. PTO is fair and you receive and extra day for every year there. Management invests in the employees through classes such as Franklin Covey and Dale Carnegie.

ConsPersonally, I would have rather worked longer work weeks than the company hiring more people. A more thorough interview process could have eliminated less professional, skilled employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarney, Inc is a fantastic place to work. John Carney has a eye on the future and invests in bringing new technologies to the Gov't. I hope the management keeps up at producing high-quality knowledge solutions!

We do great work for our clients! A great place to make a difference!

Alexandria, VA

ProsWhile most government contractors immediately laid off employees due to lack of work, Carney worked to keep its entire team together throughout most of 2013, while continuing to provide the team with training and development opportunities.

The management team has a solid plan for company growth. There is regular weekly meetings for all employees where general information and specific business information is discussed and shared. Once a quarter at one of these meetings all the detailed information on the company performance is shared. We are all encouraged to ask questions and managers are available afterward and are knowledgable. It is a very open and transparent environment.

Most managers at Carney have been promoted from within. Despite what some have said, there are always professional development and advancement opportunities. If you are a self-starter and like to learn, you will thrive here.

Training is continuously provided and available.

Lunch and learn sessions can be offered by anyone in the company who wants to teach or lead a discussion on a business related topic. These sessions are open to anyone who wants to attend.

There is a dedicated and talented team of people at Carney that produce amazing work for our clients. It's a great team to work with and be a part of.

Our clients love the work that we do for them. The work we do saves live, keeps information systems secure, helps veterans, keeps people safe, and helps our government run more efficiently.

ConsThe general government marketplace is still recovering from sequestration, the government shutdown, and a general slowdown in contract decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the company-wide BD focus!

Continue the rollout of the weekly feedback system for all employees and managers.

Implement the planned 360 feedback system to better inform each team member of their strengths and areas for improvement as seen by the other team members.

Continue to hold all managers accountable for their business and people development results.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lacking Everything!

Alexandria, VA

ProsThere is an elevator in the building

ConsWorking at Carney is like a bad High School memory full of uncertainty, immature behavior, distrust, and lack of respect for team members. You will be reminded constantly that everyone at Carney has an expiration date so the incentive to perform meaningful work and best practices is clouded at best. This is reinforced by the constant layoffs and riffs that typically are not justified. It is management's kneejerk reaction to never being able to complete a project on time or within budget and looking for a scapegoat. Perhaps if they sought the advice of their Program/Client Managers and technical staff when pursuing the work then they would have some success or if they joined this century and stopped forcing antiquated carney-built software on clients.

The technical staff lacks training and I am sure that a Covey or Dale C. course is not going to provide them those particular skills. They are also given the unfair burden of worrying about how they will come up with their 40 hours - management's job? The functional leads spend more time telling you what you can't do instead of sitting down and actually listening to someone else's opinion. If you are successful at instituting your concept then get your box ready because you will be next on the list. Don't visit HR since it really is a wasted elevator trip and they probably already know and are working on your paperwork.

The open environment (throw back to the 80s) does not work. How can you call that a collaborative environment when all you see are people's backs? Conversations best had behind closed doors are aired routinely.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate some company values and practice them. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

They're still figuring it out

(Current Employee)

ProsWork with very talented individuals
    Flexibility to work around appointments or needed time off

ConsReally poor management over the last few years has left the company floundering, led to a round of layoffs late last year, and a steady, high turn over since then - the good talent here has mostly left or is leaving
    Company touts itself as tech-forward but management discourages telework in practice despite claiming not to and doesn't leverage existing technology because it would rather make its own in-house tools
    Almost no training infrastructure internally despite being a company that describes itself as a performance-enhancing expert; guess it's a case of the doctor's children
    Can't seem to streamline its production process to be more efficient and competitive

Advice to Senior Managementseems like you're going in the right direction but it may just be too little, too late

Flag Review
    Carney Chief Culture and Talent Officer responded to this review Apr 9, 2014 EditDelete
    We have had management changes, but not unlike many firms. The current management team is poised to lead Carney in a very positive and successful direction. The positive momentum is obvious every ... More

Challenging place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsNice old town location, good nearby restaurants and close to the water.

ConsA lot of favoritism and very gossipy environment. Too much focus on billability. Not winning new work. No job security. Company has no organizational direction or strategy. Best people have left or are looking to leave. Open cube environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the number of managers.

Very sad! Losing their best people! Need to take a look at company values.

ProsEmployees at Carney are talented, dedicated individuals willing to self start and excel in their work. Management does not allow for them to work as adults, only minions.

ConsEmployees have no faith in management or incentive to work hard. Too many employees who have given long hours and countless contributions have been shown the door or left on their own from under utilization. No trust in HR. HR has no knowledge of confidentiality rules when employees come with concerns. HR has open door with other director and shares all.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees were weeded out, time to weed out upper management. The problem is not in the people who actually produce the awesome products.

Flag Review
    Carney Chief Culture and Talent Officer responded to this review Apr 16, 2014 EditDelete
    We did unfortunately have to reduce in size in the Fall of 2013 and we have been conservative in hiring in an attempt to avoid reductions in the future. There were wonderful people let go, all of ... More

Sound better than they are.

Alexandria, VA

ProsIt's hard to find a reason someone would join this company unless you are unemployed and can walk to work. They have let some of their best talent leave or laid them off.

ConsThey have bad or inexperienced managers who don't effectively manage or communicate requirements. They are trying to get work, but underbid the required time for the quality work expected. They also micromanage your "time" and "billable" hours need to be at least 40.

Advice to Senior ManagementSorry, things have probably gotten too bad and the current economy doesn't support what you are doing.

Flag Review
    Carney Director of Human Resources responded to this review Mar 19, 2014 EditDelete
    I thank this person for their review. Internally, we are hyper-focused on feedback, so this data is very helpful in providing us with information to make Carney a valuable place to work – for all of ... More

Team Driven and Focus Oriented Industry Leaders

Alexandria, VA

ProsThis company has an incredibly talented team, that has recently become much closer and stronger and is leading the industry in software training and development. Carney is going in the right direction as far as expanding it's offerings and broadening the types of products that are being developed for our clients.

Carney's leadership and management team provide direction, and guidance to their team members through constant feedback and communication. This approach provides the teams with the path needed to be successful in their position and the organization.

Successful production team members might find themselves in higher demand, with an increased workload and expectations. In this case, you will also find you are well recognized, compensated and rewarded for your contributions.

The company's culture being a smaller company, allows for the opportunity to get to know your co-workers and frequently work with the same teams and team members.

ConsCarney's benefits package is up to industry standard, however there is always some room for improvement. Improvements could include a health club or gym membership, and lower premiums on medical insurance (although with the new healthcare laws, this may be an unreasonable expectation)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, this team is only going up... Let's keep the momentum going in the right direction!

Very poor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. Nothing very good to say

ConsEverything is wrong with the management

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Carney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carney reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carney CEO John Carney. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Carney employees.