Carney Reviews

John Carney

1. Good company, great people, headed for a bright future

Former Employee - Instructional Design in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Instructional Design in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Carney is a good place to work. It may not have everything people want, but no place does. It gets busy and hectic sometimes, but most of us worked about 40 hours each week. The people in general care a ton about the clients and each other. Most of management does as well. Management is generally personable and they care, they are just busy. They have some atypical benefits: money to take any course you want, pay registration fees for races. They also offer $5k for tuition each year and they have most of the standard benefits. The CEO is approachable. He is involved in a lot of things, so don't expect him to hover and be deeply involved (unless he sees a problem). He wants people that are independent and driven so if you aren't then you won't like Carney.

Cons

They charge a lot for insurance. They are way above what other companies charge. They don't like telework. They have some employees that do, usually longer-term employees but they discourage it and aren't setup for it.They need more client diversity and to spend more money on professional development and reward programs.

Slow down in some areas and focus. Loosen up a bit. Take time to work with individuals as individuals.

Then we came to the end.

I worked at Carney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very convenient Old Town Alexandria location, dedicated and smart professionals on staff, some interesting projects and programs to work on.

Cons

No strategic direction- focus is on "keeping up appearances" & not truly attempting to stop the bleeding of both talent & clients.

None- they think they have it all figured out & aren't likely to start listening now.

3. A Place to Grow My Career

I have been working at Carney

Pros

Carney continues to win government contracting work from both new and current clients. The company is hiring and there is great energy from both current and new employees. It offers many benefits to employees including flex time, parking and metro benefits and a ton of formal and informal professional development offerings. High performers, self-starters, and positive people are the norm and management has been doing a good job of keeping it that way. The company is very focused on providing regular feedback. So, if you like transparency with you boos about how you are doing and how you can get better, you should consider this company.

Cons

During a high growth phase two years ago the company hired a lot of people that were not a good fit for the culture. They were good people, but they turned out to be generally negative, not good managers, and ultimately they were not good team players. They are no longer here and the company has made great strides in its recruiting and hiring practices.

Keep up the good work!

Awesome!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Carney as an intern

Pros

I was an intern, but the company treated me nicely, and taught me a lot. I wasn't very experienced at first, but I've gained a wide knowledge of available resources. The physical location is nice. Building is so-so, but the office itself is pretty nice.

Cons

Not 100% organized, sometimes poor communication of tasks. I was happy with the pay at first, as it was more than I expected with my experience. However, I had coworkers that were brilliant that definitely should have been paid more, but were not, especially compared to other companies.

Think Again!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are very talented, hard working, caring individuals.

Cons

Management (CEO, COO, and HR) need to attend Franklin Covey training and really listen and learn how to treat employees and run a business. They do not have the business acumen to grow the business or to make employees enjoy working with them.

Hire a true leader to run the organization. Get an HR manager who knows what he is doing.

This Company Has Got to Be Kidding

I have been working at Carney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Parking is good considering the fact that the company pays 1/2 of parking.

Benefits are OK. I left the company and wound up with better benefits.

Business and Development works extra hard and extra long hours trying to keep people employed and this group really cares about trying to bring in business.

There are some very good, strong project managers, very few, but a couple of them that are still there add significant value to the company.

The majority of the people are good and kind and there have been some very talented people that have passed through the halls of the company.

Cons

HR (and before the Chief Culture and Talent Officer responds, he is a big part of the problem)

They don't value employees and can't recognize talent. You are made to feel as if you add no value to the company and no one really cares if you stay or go, yet while you are there you are overworked for paychecks below industry standard and they find ways to let you know you are not worth more than what they are paying you.

I have heard with my own ears employee abuse. I have heard comments against other employees (some from the leader of HR) that were very inappropriate.

The CEO is blind to all that goes on because he is too busy painting rosy pictures instead of leveling with employees and telling the honest truth, even if asked directly for the truth.

This is not a post from a disgruntled employee, in fact the opposite. I was a happy employee when I was there, but got tired of the lies, lack of leadership, employee abuse and the way no one cared about the direction of the employees.

Get your heads out of the sand, that's the only way you are going to see what is truly happening. You can't move forward until you recognize where you went wrong in the past and attempt to right those wrongs with new employees.

Be honest with the employees. If things are sinking, they are sinking. If things are good they are good. There are sometimes grey area, if that's the case, say so.

Treat your employees with respect, show employees they are valued. Bring in some more talent to reduce the work load of some employees who have taken one role without salary increase since the downsizing started.

This could be a great company again but only if you realize that you have people in the company that are looking for world domination (well at least company domination). You're letting these people run a great company in the ground!

Think about it, so many negative comments of the same thing over and over tells you, if it quacks like a duck it is a duck!

Carney Response

Dec 10, 2014Chief Culture and Talent Officer

Social media sites like Glassdoor are phenomenal in that they provide direct access to information never before available. It’s unfortunate; however, that the anonymity of these sites enables people ... More

An amazing start to my Career!!

I worked at Carney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started at the very bottom of the corporate ladder and worked my way up. As an engineer I was always encouraged to explore and come up with elegant and efficient ways to write code. John Carney is very forward thinking and is very supportive. If you are a SELF STARTED and willing to learn, the management will not hesitate to invest in you.
    I've learnt so much Carney!!

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Never stop learning and improving! Keep on pushing forward come rain or shine

COO

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Carney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Owner/CEO that truly cares about every employees career. Also truly wants "Good Government". I haven't received this much mentoring and constructive feedback since I was in the Marine Corps. A Management team that last year had to make difficult decisions as a result of a decrease in federal contracting dollars. The results to date have been outstanding. Significant growth but unlike in past we are not compromising standards to hire people quickly. We not only make sure the skills match but also make sure the chemistry is there. An outstanding workforce that puts in the time and effort to meet deadlines while exceeding customer expectations. Lots of team players that step in for each other to help out.

Cons

Not really a Con but challenges working at Carney are you have to be selfless. You need to seek to understand before jumping to conclusions.

Let's keep doing what we are doing only more of it.

Decent Place

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Carney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I got to work on some interesting projects with some really great people. We got really positive feedback from our clients, which was nice. I was proud to show people the products that we developed. I had worked at a couple other similar companies, and their products lacked the artistry and polish that Carney products displayed. The CEO was generous and threw great parties.

Cons

The company got really good at making one particular type of product. They seemed uneasy about venturing into new technical spaces or trying new ideas.

Invest more in your talented employees through professional development programs. Don't be afraid to try new methods of development and technologies! Be more transparent.

Rather Not

I worked at Carney full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The ability to think outside the box is well accepted

Cons

HR, The Politics of the Company, the deceit, turnover ratio, etc.

There are titles that will never make sense. The CEO should subject his Direct Reports to a lie detector test to see how they really feel about him and the company. Also, you can tell the difference between a real post and an "induced post" on here.