Carnival Corporation Reviews in Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

3.2

Micky Arison

Pros
  • Working in Carnival is the best and you can visit some of tourist spot around the world (in 7 reviews)

• You really can see the world through this type of work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation (in 7 reviews)

• ridiculous policies, poorly managed from the shore, treats employees horribly, long working hours (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

100 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If someone asked which job I would go back to it would be carnival cruise lines

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Clerk in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Learned a lot, meet a lot interesting people made great friendship. Great workplace.

Cons

Great company values, pay is good but the fact that some people have worked there for over 10yrs if they would loss their job they would be lost in training in finding or fitting in a different workplace.

Spread the workflow more

Good entry level opportunity with the ability to earn more than a lot of jobs that require degrees.

Current Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist - CVS  in  Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist - CVS in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Entry level position with an opportunity to earn up to $70K - $75K. You have to be able to work any schedule between 7 am and 2 am with one weekend shift per week, but the call center does a shift bid twice per year. Your shift bid ranking is based on your productivity versus seniority. If you're good at sales you don't have to wait until someone resigns, retires or gets fired before you can work your desired shift. Health insurance and other benefits are pretty good in comparison to other companies in South Florida.

Cons

Getting approved for PTO can be difficult during certain times of the year due to the nature of it being a call center position. Enter your PTO as in advance as possible. If you're waitlisted choose other days if possible otherwise your original request for PTO may come and go.

Management truly seems to care and wants to see their employee succeed. There are too many negative employees that have been here forever and complain about everything especially sales quotas. It is a sales job of course there will be sales quotes. Duh! My advice to management is to get rid of your cancerous employees. They make the environment unpleasant for those that actually want to be here and make money.

My time there was the most educational, interesting and all out wonderful time of my life.

Former Employee - Operations Accounting Manager  in  Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Accounting Manager in Doral, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I was able to learn news skills, meet people from all over the world. I traveled and enjoyed all of the time I spent there mentoring and teaching othes

Cons

having ships all over the world and employees traveling to meet these ships and making deadline s was sometimes a challenge

be aware that the employees on board the ships are very important to the quality of the vacation that the guests are having and despite that many of them come from other countries outside the U.S., they should be treated with respect and paid according to their position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Suspect job with suspect pay and suspect job security; tread with caution

Current Employee - Meet and Greet  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Meet and Greet in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation part-time for more than a year

Pros

The cruising benefits is a plus

Cons

Management can get annoying at times but if you can shrug off drama, you'll live

Fun, flexible, great benefits, and management that actually seems to care for their employees

Current Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing flexibility by having the option to work from home, management is not always breathing down your neck (even with this being a sales position), decent amount of vacation time and sick time hours even for a new employee, lots of opportunity to do overtime but not obligated to work it.

Cons

The top paying incentive tiers are getting more difficult to reach so this position is not paying as well as it used to. Still fair pay compared to other lines. You have to be a machine on the phones, because we have only 4 minutes per hour for a break and a 30 min lunch break. It's not as easy as it seems when you take a large amount of calls daily with no time to re-set between calls. Since its a call center, it is nearly impossible to get PTO approved for when you want it and if you are not one of the top performers, you will probably work a shift no one wants. No room to climb up the ladder. The coaches have been the same for a good 5 or 6 years.

Over all, this is a fantastic, lively workplace. I think it's a great position for someone that is comfortable with making upper 40's and doesn't mind not moving up the ladder.

Good, great environment

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, diverse environment, new experiences and adventure, interesting work. Make new friends all over the world

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation. Low salary, not good career projection for professional position.

Bad Reputation Well Deserved

Former Employee - Personal Vacation Planner  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Vacation Planner in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous benefits package. Lots of time off. 401k match. M-F workweek.

Cons

Rampant discrimination, nepotism, tolerant of bullying by fellow employees. Environment has changed to a boiler room mentality. Experienced managers left long ago. What's left are people with no ability to lead by example. Most successful employees mirror top management in color from CEO down. Sales ability and product knowledge do not equal success. Behind the scenes relationships do. Old tired office with run down equipment. Incapable persons making big money who cannot keep essential applications running without constant interruptions, yet somehow retain their job? Not open to new ideas. Culture of fear from department head (puppet for corporate) with constantly changing rules, payscales, interpretation of policies.
    I heard this was a great place to work and earn under prior CEO, department head but no evidence remains of that now. Most co-workers were hustlers who would say or do anything to get a sale while management turned a blind eye. Do not recommend this company or the sales position (PVP). Didn't last more than a year and a half because the company did not give everyone the same opportunity to succeed.

None. The company is poisoned from the top down. Current leadership is corrupt. Company will never regain its previous position as a reputable place to work.

Used to be a great place...

Former Employee - Phone Agent  in  Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Phone Agent in Doral, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people you're surrounded by on a daily basis make the place bearable at least. Cruise benefits are also a plus...

Cons

Lack of communication. Management stinks. No room for growth. You're not valued as a human being. You're just a number to them.

Listen to your staff. Actually LISTEN and do something about the unhappiness and stagnant environment.

Not living up to the core service values.

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience for a shorter period of time, not a career. I learned a lot in the first year, but hit a limit. I enjoyed working with people from all over the world. Got to see most of the Caribbean in short times off. Made some great friends. Everything I enjoyed about the job had nothing to do with the company itself.

Cons

Poor pay for the hours worked. Too much time standing. Little time for relaxing and sleep.

Inefficient use of workers because everyone works the same hours. There are plenty of times when only half the staff would really be necessary. No regular benefits. Little chance for moving up, unless you are from the right country and have a certain personality. Have to deal with thousands of guests with think they own you because they paid to get on the ship.

Pay attention to the people, not just the numbers. When half the ship photo management leaves in a short period of time, you should realize there is a problem in the way you are treating people and running the operation.

My current job as a photographer and lab technician.

Current Employee - Photographer  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

You can travel around the place that you want to be.

Cons

But it's not enough time to see the place that you visit.

Worked for Carnival Corporation? Contribute to the Community!