Carnival Corporation

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.3

Micky Arison

Pros
  • Working in Carnival is the best and you can visit some of tourist spot around the world (in 7 reviews)

• You really can see the world through this type of work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation (in 14 reviews)

• Long working hours without day off (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place with easy going people

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Analyst in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

No strict rules and restrictions! Cool cruise benefits

Cons

Very few holidays and not much flexible

Steakhouse Manager

Current Employee - Steakhouse Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Steakhouse Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working on a ship is you get to travel and see the world while you still grow in a professional manner.

Cons

Working on a ship tends to get hard because you are traveling all the time. There is no consistency.

Company in transition. Lots of opportunities but must be flexible.

Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Carnival Cruises is a fun business so it is enjoyable to spend your workday thinking about a vacation experience. They offer the normal benefits package for big companies including access to discounted cruises. There are a lot of great people and a real desire by all to make things better. Nice internal professional development training classes.

Cons

Carnival is in transition and coming to terms with the fact they are not a small, family-owned business anymore. Up until this point there has not been an appetite by management to make the key infrastructure investment in systems and people for the employees and company as a whole to be set up for success. There has also been a lack of strong leadership by the C-suite in setting company-wide priorities. This has contributed to a sense of departments actively working to fortify their silos of power to try to get their own initiatives pushed through regardless of what else is happening. The senior leadership (VPs and above) is well educated but many lack practical work experience and are very green. There is little to no career path development within the company so set your expectations to get some great work experiences and that you will move somewhere else when ready to move to the next level professionally. The compensation is typically below market rates and the health insurance is really poor in comparison to coverage options at comparable sized companies.

Set clear company priorities; unite all departments to work toward these goals; provide the basic systems (ie inventory management, commerce platforms, CRM, reporting etc) for employees to do their jobs effectively; staff up accordingly and bring in temp/contract help more often for one-off projects or temporary needs; show the employees you care through the above recommendations and more generous compensation/benefit packages (not just food truck days).

The company is OK ... but shiplife isn't

Former Employee - Teen Activities Director
    Former Employee - Teen Activities Director

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back company with fun atmosphere and great chance to meet new people
    Fun lifestyle

Cons

unfair treatment of "crew" versus "staff"

Enter the 21st century with everyone else, and treat all your employees equally!!

Casino supervisor

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work place with the opportunity to travel around the world.Working hours are decent and the team is most of the time great. Excellent opportunities to advance if you work hard and prove you skills.
    Decent pay as long as you take in consideration that you get everything payed for.

Cons

too many safety training sessions.

Great company!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company. Lots of opportunities to move up. Overtime almost always available even during slow season. Discount cruises! !

Cons

Typical corporate setting with strict guidelines but aren't hard too follow as long as you are doing your job properly. Big company so it's difficult to get to know everyone.

None.

Wish I could have those work years of my life back

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

I learned how to have no sympathy for customer concerns. How the bottom line is the only item looked at when making decisions. How critical parts of the customer experience were constantly reduced, retracted, or made more expensive in order to increase EPS.

Struggling to find any other "Pros" at working here.

Cons

Working at Carnival is one of the worst experiences of my life. Mainly because of the long hours and the unethical practices. There were so many 3rd party contractors we used to avoid paying people liveable wages on our cruise ships. This contributed immensely to the profitability of the current generation of vessels out on the waters today. Management worked us to do death, to squeeze out a every cent of profit out of our business cases.

The vacation policy was so substandard compared to other employers. We were not allowed to use our 2 weeks of vacation. You were lucky if you got to use 7 days in the years. Oh and they also wouldn't cash out your unused vacation days. Management for some reason always seemed to have an antagonistic attitude toward the employees. Requests for days off had to be made 1 month in advance. Sick days were frowned upon, and bosses would overload you if you were sick or unable to come in to the office.

Treat your employees like the way you would want to be treated. If you don't, how do you expect to retain employees?

Room to grow

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

There is a lot of room to grow in the company. There are a lot of helpful people around.

Cons

Sometimes can have one mind set and it can cause problems for when you want to see change.

Advise employees to take improvement classes

It was a great tough experience, visited so many places and learnt to work with a wide variety of different people.

Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll have a chacne traveling around the Caribbean and you got to visit a lots of beautiful places. I was developed strong work ethic. They taunght me and provided the necessary skills.

Cons

Being away family and friends at least 6months at a time.

Good management skills are efficient.

Goal oriented and focused on employee growth

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

"Unlimited" ceiling on salary. The more you sell the better the paycheck. Great benefits and vacation time. Quality training.

Cons

Going in to work from 11am to 8pm means that your whole day is spent at work.

Carnival Corporation Photos

View of Carnival Place, the Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Line headquarters in Doral, Florida (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo