Carnival Corporation

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.3

Micky Arison

Pros
  • Working in Carnival is the best and you can visit some of tourist spot around the world (in 7 reviews)

• You really can see the world through this type of work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation (in 7 reviews)

• ridiculous policies, poorly managed from the shore, treats employees horribly, long working hours (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, great environment

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, diverse environment, new experiences and adventure, interesting work. Make new friends all over the world

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation. Low salary, not good career projection for professional position.

Bad Reputation Well Deserved

Former Employee - Personal Vacation Planner  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Vacation Planner in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous benefits package. Lots of time off. 401k match. M-F workweek.

Cons

Rampant discrimination, nepotism, tolerant of bullying by fellow employees. Environment has changed to a boiler room mentality. Experienced managers left long ago. What's left are people with no ability to lead by example. Most successful employees mirror top management in color from CEO down. Sales ability and product knowledge do not equal success. Behind the scenes relationships do. Old tired office with run down equipment. Incapable persons making big money who cannot keep essential applications running without constant interruptions, yet somehow retain their job? Not open to new ideas. Culture of fear from department head (puppet for corporate) with constantly changing rules, payscales, interpretation of policies.
    I heard this was a great place to work and earn under prior CEO, department head but no evidence remains of that now. Most co-workers were hustlers who would say or do anything to get a sale while management turned a blind eye. Do not recommend this company or the sales position (PVP). Didn't last more than a year and a half because the company did not give everyone the same opportunity to succeed.

None. The company is poisoned from the top down. Current leadership is corrupt. Company will never regain its previous position as a reputable place to work.

Used to be a great place...

Former Employee - Phone Agent  in  Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Phone Agent in Doral, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people you're surrounded by on a daily basis make the place bearable at least. Cruise benefits are also a plus...

Cons

Lack of communication. Management stinks. No room for growth. You're not valued as a human being. You're just a number to them.

Listen to your staff. Actually LISTEN and do something about the unhappiness and stagnant environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible communication

Former Employee - Direct Sales  in  Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was able to work at home. The job was fun and I liked it.

Cons

They laid me off with no explanation. I kept trying to find out why and no one would talk to me.

Not living up to the core service values.

Former Employee - Photographer  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience for a shorter period of time, not a career. I learned a lot in the first year, but hit a limit. I enjoyed working with people from all over the world. Got to see most of the Caribbean in short times off. Made some great friends. Everything I enjoyed about the job had nothing to do with the company itself.

Cons

Poor pay for the hours worked. Too much time standing. Little time for relaxing and sleep.

Inefficient use of workers because everyone works the same hours. There are plenty of times when only half the staff would really be necessary. No regular benefits. Little chance for moving up, unless you are from the right country and have a certain personality. Have to deal with thousands of guests with think they own you because they paid to get on the ship.

Pay attention to the people, not just the numbers. When half the ship photo management leaves in a short period of time, you should realize there is a problem in the way you are treating people and running the operation.

My current job as a photographer and lab technician.

Current Employee - Photographer  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

You can travel around the place that you want to be.

Cons

But it's not enough time to see the place that you visit.

Used To be a great place to work

Former Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good pay, Great people

Cons

Too much pressure to sell insurance and other peripherals, constant negative environment.

put more focus on your front line, your phone centers are the first experience many customers have with you

Massive company doing their best to stay organized

Former Employee - Showband Musician  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Showband Musician in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're a musician looking for a steady paycheck performing, this is a way to get that. The lifestyle is incredibly leisurely. There isn't much to challenge you once you get into the routine. If this lifestyle is appealing, playing on a cruise ship is a way to go.

Cons

Carnival is huge. You definitely get the feeling that Carnival only recognizes that you exist if you were to mess up. So much of their workforce is international, especially on the ships, making English often a second language for employees that are in power on the ship. This makes it difficult for everyone when you're trying to communicate about subtleties regarding pay, shipping, taxes, customs, etc. Also be ready to leave your normal life behind for an extended period, as contracts are at least six months long, and onboard wifi is very expensive and slow.

Read if you're considering PVP land....

Former Employee - PVP  in  Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - PVP in Miramar, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful benefits package especially healthcare, great employee cruise discounts, great co-workers, fun outside events.

Cons

I didn't think the PVP role at CCL was going to end up being a telemarketing job that I shouldn't have taken. I was sold on the idea that making bookings was easy and calling "valued past guests" would be a joy...but it was a complete disappointment. The hours do not provide any kind of work/life balance, the sense of morale is mixed, guests are very rude and think it's okay to treat you poorly. I do not suggest taking the PVP job unless you are an amazing salesperson and want this to be your career...and that can mean working 80-90 hours a week until you reach the Elite or Flex schedules.

Stop giving in to guests who do not appreciate reduced deposits, treat shipboard personnel poorly or cater to only families! I do think the PVP role needs to be changed and be a worthwhile position.

Generally good

Current Employee - Entertainment Technician  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Entertainment Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

See the world, save money, gain experiences

Cons

you life to the out side world stops, everyone else life keeps going and yours stops on land and is now only the ship. the longer you stay the harder it is to leave

Worked for Carnival Corporation? Contribute to the Community!