Carnival Corporation

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
3.3

Micky Arison

Pros
  • Working in Carnival is the best and you can visit some of tourist spot around the world (in 7 reviews)

• You really can see the world through this type of work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation (in 14 reviews)

• Long working hours without day off (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company. Lots of opportunities to move up. Overtime almost always available even during slow season. Discount cruises! !

Cons

Typical corporate setting with strict guidelines but aren't hard too follow as long as you are doing your job properly. Big company so it's difficult to get to know everyone.

None.

Wish I could have those work years of my life back

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

I learned how to have no sympathy for customer concerns. How the bottom line is the only item looked at when making decisions. How critical parts of the customer experience were constantly reduced, retracted, or made more expensive in order to increase EPS.

Struggling to find any other "Pros" at working here.

Cons

Working at Carnival is one of the worst experiences of my life. Mainly because of the long hours and the unethical practices. There were so many 3rd party contractors we used to avoid paying people liveable wages on our cruise ships. This contributed immensely to the profitability of the current generation of vessels out on the waters today. Management worked us to do death, to squeeze out a every cent of profit out of our business cases.

The vacation policy was so substandard compared to other employers. We were not allowed to use our 2 weeks of vacation. You were lucky if you got to use 7 days in the years. Oh and they also wouldn't cash out your unused vacation days. Management for some reason always seemed to have an antagonistic attitude toward the employees. Requests for days off had to be made 1 month in advance. Sick days were frowned upon, and bosses would overload you if you were sick or unable to come in to the office.

Treat your employees like the way you would want to be treated. If you don't, how do you expect to retain employees?

It was a great tough experience, visited so many places and learnt to work with a wide variety of different people.

Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Guest Services Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll have a chacne traveling around the Caribbean and you got to visit a lots of beautiful places. I was developed strong work ethic. They taunght me and provided the necessary skills.

Cons

Being away family and friends at least 6months at a time.

Good management skills are efficient.

Room to grow

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

There is a lot of room to grow in the company. There are a lot of helpful people around.

Cons

Sometimes can have one mind set and it can cause problems for when you want to see change.

Advise employees to take improvement classes

Goal oriented and focused on employee growth

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

"Unlimited" ceiling on salary. The more you sell the better the paycheck. Great benefits and vacation time. Quality training.

Cons

Going in to work from 11am to 8pm means that your whole day is spent at work.

Inefficient Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Senior Audit Consultant in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Audit Consultant in Doral, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cruise Benefits and low expectations

Cons

Extremely political, not a meritocracy

The company is strikingly generic; the embodiment of the worst elements of Corporate America.

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

Flexible schedule, good pay, fun overall environment. Clearly, getting paid to travel and do what you love is an inherent pro.

Cons

There is a massive disconnect between the facade of public persona expected of crew and actual ship life. The efforts of Carnival to be a values-driven, employee-first company are laughable, culturally insensitive, and ultimately offensive. Living conditions are quite poor for the majority of the crew, and food quality is barely fit for human consumption.

Remember the people who do the work that ultimately make your shareholders happy.

Personal Vacation Planner (PVP)

Current Employee - Personal Vacation Planner in Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Personal Vacation Planner in Miramar, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really a great company to grow with. The potential of making over 100k is there if you put in the years, build your customer base, work long hours and can convince people to book there cruise with you and not ONLINE!

Cons

Lots of Dialing 150 dials per day, long hours, incentive plan can be hard to achieve when you are new to the company! Only $7.83 base pay and $25 for a booking someone paid 5k for SMH. Some MANDATORY Saturday's! People will hang up on you!

Management needs to provide more sales training!

Hard sales, work was a grind

I worked at Carnival Corporation

Pros

Coworkers were great, everyone was professional. Sales training was good.

Cons

sales policies were tough, constant turnover

Disappointed

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

New experience only. Salaries are funny and work is more and more.

Cons

Lets say training for possition in better company

Unprofessional seniors, especialy indian managers have no skills, are usualy rude in all departments.

Carnival Corporation Photos

View of Carnival Place, the Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Line headquarters in Doral, Florida (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo