Carnival Corporation

Updated November 18, 2014
Updated November 18, 2014
3.3

Micky Arison

Pros
  • Working in Carnival is the best and you can visit some of tourist spot around the world (in 7 reviews)

• You really can see the world through this type of work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation (in 13 reviews)

• Long working hours without day off (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, flexible, great benefits, and management that actually seems to care for their employees

Current Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing flexibility by having the option to work from home, management is not always breathing down your neck (even with this being a sales position), decent amount of vacation time and sick time hours even for a new employee, lots of opportunity to do overtime but not obligated to work it.

Cons

The top paying incentive tiers are getting more difficult to reach so this position is not paying as well as it used to. Still fair pay compared to other lines. You have to be a machine on the phones, because we have only 4 minutes per hour for a break and a 30 min lunch break. It's not as easy as it seems when you take a large amount of calls daily with no time to re-set between calls. Since its a call center, it is nearly impossible to get PTO approved for when you want it and if you are not one of the top performers, you will probably work a shift no one wants. No room to climb up the ladder. The coaches have been the same for a good 5 or 6 years.

Over all, this is a fantastic, lively workplace. I think it's a great position for someone that is comfortable with making upper 40's and doesn't mind not moving up the ladder.

Good, great environment

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture, diverse environment, new experiences and adventure, interesting work. Make new friends all over the world

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, long hours on embarkation and debarkation. Low salary, not good career projection for professional position.

Bad Reputation Well Deserved

Former Employee - Personal Vacation Planner in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Vacation Planner in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generous benefits package. Lots of time off. 401k match. M-F workweek.

Cons

Rampant discrimination, nepotism, tolerant of bullying by fellow employees. Environment has changed to a boiler room mentality. Experienced managers left long ago. What's left are people with no ability to lead by example. Most successful employees mirror top management in color from CEO down. Sales ability and product knowledge do not equal success. Behind the scenes relationships do. Old tired office with run down equipment. Incapable persons making big money who cannot keep essential applications running without constant interruptions, yet somehow retain their job? Not open to new ideas. Culture of fear from department head (puppet for corporate) with constantly changing rules, payscales, interpretation of policies.
    I heard this was a great place to work and earn under prior CEO, department head but no evidence remains of that now. Most co-workers were hustlers who would say or do anything to get a sale while management turned a blind eye. Do not recommend this company or the sales position (PVP). Didn't last more than a year and a half because the company did not give everyone the same opportunity to succeed.

None. The company is poisoned from the top down. Current leadership is corrupt. Company will never regain its previous position as a reputable place to work.

Used to be a great place...

Former Employee - Phone Agent in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Phone Agent in Doral, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people you're surrounded by on a daily basis make the place bearable at least. Cruise benefits are also a plus...

Cons

Lack of communication. Management stinks. No room for growth. You're not valued as a human being. You're just a number to them.

Listen to your staff. Actually LISTEN and do something about the unhappiness and stagnant environment.

Horrible communication

Former Employee - Direct Sales in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to work at home. The job was fun and I liked it.

Cons

They laid me off with no explanation. I kept trying to find out why and no one would talk to me.

Not living up to the core service values.

Former Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience for a shorter period of time, not a career. I learned a lot in the first year, but hit a limit. I enjoyed working with people from all over the world. Got to see most of the Caribbean in short times off. Made some great friends. Everything I enjoyed about the job had nothing to do with the company itself.

Cons

Poor pay for the hours worked. Too much time standing. Little time for relaxing and sleep.

Inefficient use of workers because everyone works the same hours. There are plenty of times when only half the staff would really be necessary. No regular benefits. Little chance for moving up, unless you are from the right country and have a certain personality. Have to deal with thousands of guests with think they own you because they paid to get on the ship.

Pay attention to the people, not just the numbers. When half the ship photo management leaves in a short period of time, you should realize there is a problem in the way you are treating people and running the operation.

My current job as a photographer and lab technician.

Current Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Photographer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can travel around the place that you want to be.

Cons

But it's not enough time to see the place that you visit.

Used To be a great place to work

Former Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Cruise Vacation Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good pay, Great people

Cons

Too much pressure to sell insurance and other peripherals, constant negative environment.

put more focus on your front line, your phone centers are the first experience many customers have with you

Generally good

Current Employee - Entertainment Technician in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Entertainment Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

See the world, save money, gain experiences

Cons

you life to the out side world stops, everyone else life keeps going and yours stops on land and is now only the ship. the longer you stay the harder it is to leave

fun but long contracts

Former Employee - Light and Sound Technician in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Light and Sound Technician in Miami, FL

I worked at Carnival Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

see the world while getting paid

Cons

away for months on very long contracts up to 8 months.

Carnival Corporation Photos

View of Carnival Place, the Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Line headquarters in Doral, Florida (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)

+ Add Photo