Carol H. Williams Advertising

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014
2.7

Carol H Williams

This is a Company and leadership that...

Current Employee - Ethnic Field Marketing Representative in Fort Knox, KY
    Current Employee - Ethnic Field Marketing Representative in Fort Knox, KY

I have been working at Carol H. Williams Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a Company and leadership that allows for learning and growth.

Cons

None to speak of.

Awesome! Carol H. Williams is a legend and her legacy lives on!

Former Employee - New Business Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - New Business Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Diversity, strong strategic talent, and close knit working relationships.

Cons

Too many people (both talent, and clients) overlook the capabilities that CHWA can bring to the table in their businesses and careers.

Don't stop believing in what the company was destined to be. Make sure you catch the vision of the Matriarch herself.

Not for Everyone but Great if you want to learn the advertising business and be successful within

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned quite a bit from the Senior Management
    Great Staff and Creatives
    Wonderful Culture; fun and open office architecture
    Wonderful HR that is smart and helpful

Cons

a few phony ex-employees that are two-faced
    if you don't like to work hard and be strategic, don't work here

Character is everything; be sure to truly know who works for you.

Carol H. Williams Advertising Response

Aug 9, 2013Director of HR

Thank you for this fair and thorough insight.

Terrible. Worst thing that ever happen to advertising and black creativity. Very plantation minded

Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really had some cool accounts to work on

Cons

Overall, working at CHWA is the saddest moment in Black Culture. In a nutshell:

low pay, low moral, non-progressive, creatives were oppressed and unmotivated, creative critiques where abusive, uninspiring, CEO cussing out and degrading employees for hours especially if we lost a business pitch, fabricating to employees and clients about financial state of the company, bad business decisions, terrible inexperience managers, upper mangers competing and stealing ideas from jr and mid-level workers, the agency perpetuated black stereotypes, lack of leadership, CEO was every moody and had her favorites and would openly refer to all the men as "her boys", creatives never gets praise for good work, upper management never tok any responsibility or accountability for their mistakes, employees beefing with each other through social media, disorganized, account team didn't understand their roll, Not only the CEO made it mandatory to presented all the work during business pitches and didn't allow her sr management team to speak, work was always dated, like 1970s and 80s, creatives weren't appreciated at all, freelance never gets paid-ever!

Please stop allowing your "relativies" those who are either related to you by blood or otherwise, to run your business or promote them to management that has no advertising or professional skill set. Before i worked there i held Mrs Williams legacy to high -esteem... a black woman, a creative, who made a name for herself at Leo Burnett in the 70's creating some of the some iconic ads of that time i was admired. All of everything she worked for tarnished by her unprofessional and lack of ad experience family members.

Carol H. Williams Advertising Response

Aug 9, 2013Director of HR

There are several former employees that are angry and annoyed that feel it's appropriate to communicate their feelings but when given the chance to do so while at work, instead take an opportunity to ... More

Freelance Workers, be Prepared to Work for Free!

Former Employee - Freelance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Freelance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There is no advantage to work at this agency full time or as a freelance.

Cons

As a freelance employee, you may never get paid. I was contracted to work over multiple clients over a 8 month period. It was a struggle to get payment for my work. I had to threaten not to deliver, not attend presentations and stop work. Each action would generate a little payment, just a enough to intice me to stay. Once I finished my last project, only the papers from my attorney made the agency pay me the funds they owed.

Your staff is thin and abused by the toxic culture. Your only life-line to get work done as well as grow your capabilities is through your freelance staff. Pay them on time and in full.

Unfortunately... A Mess

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Carol H. Williams Advertising

Pros

Great location and great office, Carol CAN be a great inspiration if you get her on a good day, can be fun at times, met a lot of nice people

Cons

Complete lack of leadership and direction, the people in power have no business being in power, she (Carol) hires way too many people that are related in some form to her, I have never in my life seen such ridiculousness as I saw at Carol H Williams,

Please find seasoned, EXPERIENCED and proven professionals to run and lead your business. In the past your leaders have been horrid

Disappointing, frustrating and disheartening.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising

Pros

Met and worked with some great creatives.
    Opportunities to work for big brands.

Cons

I (and other creatives) had no faith in upper management.
    Creative critiques were often times abusive and very unprofessional.
    I creative opportunities were limiting.
    Account planning lacked true insights and in the multicultural arena, insights are necessary.
    Account executives lacked the ability to manage clients often to the detriment of creatives time.
    Creatives, their work and their time, were not valued.
    Creatives were not praised for good work in fact upper management stated on several occasions that "the pay check was thanks enough."
    Creatives who did good work were thanked with more work and creatives who consistently dropped the ball had their nights and weekends free.
    Upper management would gather all creatives and chastise them for poor work when if fact only one or two individuals dropped the ball.
    The workflow process was extremely disorganized.
    Ego is a given in the industry. We all have an ego. But when ego negatively impacts the work, and the ego is coming from the very top down, the situation becomes frustrating and disheartening.

Upper management needs to hire qualified people and value creative work.

Better off somewhere else.

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising

Pros

....hmm, well, let's see...the Chicago office is in a nice location

Cons

Lack of direction and leadership

Hire professionals to manage the business

Carol, just be a creative.

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising

Pros

CHWA is recognized as a leader in providing African American marketing communications and insights into the African American consumer. The firm is generally generous and takes care of its long time loyal employees. The firm's employees are dedicated, hard working and generally some of the best.

Cons

The firm is still being led by its founder, Carol. Unfortunately, she is not a sound business woman. She makes emotional decisions and often shoots from the hip. She is a creative person. Very few creatives have been able to successfully transition from creative to entrepreneur. Client Service people can be particularly at risk in the firm as they are usually the first ones Carol blames when there are problems on the accounts. The reality is that Carol does not let client service folks into the inner workings of the company so that they can effectively run the business. the CFO keeps financial info very close in which makes it difficult to run the business. Great female creatives have not been successful at CHW. Carol needs to be surrounded by creatives who are men.

Carol needs a strong client service leader at the top and then she needs to step back and observe while that person puts in place the key strategies to make the firm successful.

good enough

I worked at Carol H. Williams Advertising

Pros

it was good enough pay

Cons

there was really bad management

listen to the young people