Carolinas HealthCare System

Updated December 15, 2014
3.6

Carolinas HealthCare System President and CEO Mike Tarwater
Mike Tarwater

Pros
  • A large system that can offer good benefits and a decent work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Great pay, job security, able to advance and move up when ready (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth within company (in 3 reviews)

• We no longer receive gifts from monthly drawings like we did in the past (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System

Pros

Professionalism was top-notch, I enjoyed the quiet-time and was able to get my work done. Right balance of quiet and people interaction. The pay was good. Most employees were great when it came to training. Love the fast pace, never left w/ nothing to do

Cons

One employee who was not "up" for training the new employees. she was not pleasant. She acted as if we were bothering her.

Ask your employees if they want to train and if they do not maybe they shouldn't be there. Observe them training. Teamwork is important. The better I perform my job, the easier it is on the next person coming in for the next shift. The young lady who felt as if we were bothering her, failed to realize that training me along with the others to best of her ability, not only benefited her but the whole team as well.

CHS is a great place to work in Charlotte, NC

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician III in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician III in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture through out the system

Cons

I think CHS is a great place to work

Outstanding work place

Former Employee - Retired in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Retired in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Once you work at CMC you come part of the Carolinas Healthcare System you become family

Cons

Not being able to be unhappy, its a fantastic place to work, and its no better place to drive.

Keep up with the good work

Great work life balance. Bad career planning and growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly. Great time off benefits, great work/life balance.

Cons

No real discussions of career growth and planning. Bad maternity plan. Pay is much lower than similar positions at other companies.

first time going everyone said hello passing threw like they liked there job the hall ways was nice and clean

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Monroe, NC
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Monroe, NC

I have been working at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

team player and everyone i ran across that worked there seemed very happy. Its alot of growth and alot of jobs

Cons

no cons nothing bad to say

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System

Pros

The CCHS system is diligently working to be the leader in healthcare and providing excellent care.

Cons

The attitudes of team members and how they treat each other is out of line from where it should be.

Although this is a problem (bad attitudes among team members - all parties are guilty from doctors to OR Techs, (mostly I see the problem among surg techs). This is clearly not the best way to deliver good care, and can hurt the bottom line and take focus off patient, but it does not seems to bother management. This is no secret to anyone in health care, the question is what as individuals can we do about it? Expect it, be resilient by offering grace when others are out of line, and commit to treating others with respect. But if management would do something to engage and re-direct attitudes, the environment and success of patient care would be greatly improved.

CHS is slowly going downhill. It's time to out the current aging senior management that is unwilling to change.

Current Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to advance your career. Depending on where you work, you have the opportunity to perform everything within your scope of practice. We have the ability to do advanced modes of life support and literally save lives. It can be pretty easy to get time off.

Cons

Health insurance could be better. We no longer receive gifts from monthly drawings like we did in the past. Healthcare reform is supposedly cutting revenue - clinical and support staff are lucky to get a 1% raise while the big wigs get much bigger raises and ridiculous bonuses.

Allow the clinical staff to actually focus on taking care of the patients assigned to them. Departmental management is forced to focus on numbers rather than on their departments providing the care patients need to actually get better. Upper management needs to be more transparent. Yes, you may manage us, but at least let us know what is going on within the department and the organization. Just because you have an office within our department does not mean you actually know what it's like to be out in the trenches with us. Senior management (executive level) needs to be outed and fresh new management needs to be brought in that has a real vision of where healthcare needs to go.

Administrative oppression

Current Employee - Staff RN in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Concord, NC

I have been working at Carolinas HealthCare System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Clean working environment, close to home

Cons

CHS has a monopoly on healthcare in this region and most of the state. Weak management in most departments with non clinical overpaid top management making patient care decisions. Toxic environment where employees feel trapped because there are few other choices for healthcare jobs in this area. Everybody is stressed and with the work load and inefficient documentation software, there is no time for basic patient care.

Not horrific but not great either.

Former Employee - Practice Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Practice Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System (more than 5 years)

Pros

Once you get in and get through HR process, its a stable organization.

Cons

Big company equals lots of beuracracy.

Stop stressing and focusing on various survey results and focus more on patient connection and sincere employees engagement. Tying employee engagement to a factor that plays into another monetary incentive is not right.

good health

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Carolinas HealthCare System part-time

Pros

alturism, good healing culture, good long term benefits

Cons

heavy bureacracy, no career path defined

concentrate on CRM