Carolinas Hospital System

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James F. O'Loughlin

I am disappointed with many aspects of this job I've been at for the past 7 years.

Admissions Clerk (Current Employee) Florence, SC

ProsGreat caring coworkers. Provides great care for the patients.

ConsManagement expects the impossible. Management hires other management that has no management experience. Cutting benefits, no pay raises. I make approximately $1.50 more an hour than I started with, 7 years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement expects employs to treat patients with the highest respect and compassion. The management expects employees to treat other employees with the same respect. However, the upper management does not adhere to the same standards. Some will not even acknowledge your existence when you speak to them. Do not cut our benefits. You can afford to buy up all the hospitals up for grabs so you should not cut benefits.

Where's the compassion

ProsThere are no pros. This system is flawed

ConsThis system is flawed all around

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the ones who ensure your job security with compassion. Don't let personal issues affect your work performance. Being a patient at CHS makes me loose all compassion for fellow man

Not True to Their Word

Rehab Services (Former Employee) Florence, SC

ProsThe only thing this company offers is a family type atmosphere with your co-workers.

ConsConstant changes in benefits. The administration is all about the bottom line and finding ways to cut down what you receive. In the past year they have place continuing education funds on hold, or you having to use them towards a hospital in-service for the full amount when the actual price is a 1/3 of what they charged employees for non-hospital employees. They are spending money on buying equipment for MRI machines, yet the hospital is continually utilizing low census tactics, which means that employees have to rotate taking days off (this can be up to multiple days in a pay week) and having to use your PTO to make a paycheck. The departmental management is unorganized and have poor communication. Receiving text messages off the clock during late hours or early morning is unacceptable as a form of communication for schedule changes or being called off work. Management will always back each other versus supporting their employees. Administration and management promise change and that things will get better, but it continues to decline.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring friends and holding onto lower management to save money. The poor management is alienating employees and you can't improve quality of care with the high turn over rate.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Until CHS bought the Hospital

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Florence, SC

ProsPeople working there for the most part are a great bunch. The Nurse Supervisors are great people.

ConsPlace can be hostile and unpleasant place to work, if you have a director who does not know how to treat people, Senior Management will not step in until its almost too late to fix problems with Supervisors/Directors. Highly Understaffed !

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some people, Fix you management issues, make the place enjoyable to work at.

Understaffed and underpaid

Operator (Former Employee) Florence, SC

ProsThere are a couple of managers that will try and help you. Overall the people who work there try.

ConsGROSSLY Understaffed. Underpaid. Favoritism. Inept Managers (most of them).

Advice to Senior ManagementHIRE PEOPLE! Acknowledge good work and good workers. A free meal for a full shift of work would be nice.

Carolinas Hospital is an above average place to work.

ProsBenefits are very good, especially compared to other hospitals in the region.
    Pay is decent, commensurate with experience.
    Co-workers are pleasant.

ConsJob specific training could be better, along with more places of reference once in the position.
    Departments and tasks could be more cohesive in the flow of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is not much feedback from departmental managers.
    Training could be more in depth instead of mostly on-the-job.
    There are too many system log-ins, and different programs to use, please simplify.

It's the Difference that counts

Nursing Manager (Current Employee)

Proscommunity environment
    great cooperation between managers

ConsHard to keep motivated --
    Feels like your always trying to swim upstream
    Nothing gets accomplished --fast
    Not enough up to date computer technology for new nurses and md's

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working to make the Carolinas Difference

Worked for Carolinas Hospital System? Contribute to the Community!