Carollo Engineers

Add Photos

B. Narayanan

Great learning environment.

Civil/Mechanical Auditor (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat core value and value of employees.

ConsPay seems a little on the low end of the spectrum.

Good times in Phoenix office

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI really liked working with the people in the Phoenix office, especially after developing a good relationship after 10 years of successful project work. The PMs I was lucky enough to work with were very competent and down to earth. I felt very stable and satisfied there. Were it not for a personal decision to relocate to a cooler climate I would still be there.

ConsYou can get pigeonholed into a specific career track that may limit your perceived value if you decide to change companies. Not every manager is great and some can be trying - I was lucky enough to work with the office's more effective PM's. Each office is different and therefore one's individual experience may vary.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure every young engineer is exposed to project management at an earlier stage in their career, perhaps by adopting a "Deputy PM" type approach. This will be beneficial for employees and for the company.

Unique consultant focusing only on water/wastewater

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSmall enough that you can get well known in the company. Pursuits and projects are usually well-organized. Lots of good internal resources to employees.

ConsInteroffice communication is sometimes lacking between regions, but connectedness is improving. Small-mid size firm, means fewer project opportunities can sometimes be available.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilization of resources across the company can still improve. Development of talent across the company is uneven.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't believe "open door policy" - there is definitely an inner circle here.

Middle Management (Former Employee)

ProsWas a good company in the past (> 5 years ago).

ConsThe re-organization that took place internally over the past 2-3 years has strived to give the impression to employees that they matter and that they have a voice. The reality is that there is still an inner circle that is very tight. If you're not one of them, you don't have any say, no matter how many VP titles they pass out. Over 100 VPs in a company of less than 600??? Really?!

If you happen to disagree with one of the inner circle, my advice is to not take advantage of the "open door" policy as you will find that their definition of it is to lead you out the front open door with false promises.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook back to what built the company up from around 20 years ago to the peak in 1997. Most of those partners are still reachable and I'm sure they would be glad to help fix the mess.

I felt appreciated, trusted and I was given plenty of room to grow

Engineering CAD Technician (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosgood benefits, good environment, annual bonuses

Consa lot of competition/distrust between offices

Advice to Senior Managementwhat works for Orange County doesn't necessarily work for other offices, making everyone learn software that they will seldom (or never) have to use is a waste of time and resources. Also, just because a software says its 100% compatible with another doesn't mean its true, and often, the converted documents have problems.

Great company if you want to your hard work to be rewarded.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

ProsAt Carollo you get to work directly for the partners/owners of the company. Since you are directly working for the people that decide your salary, your hard work is rewarded. This is not a place where you can be a wallflower. Employees also get to interact with clients at a relatively young age.

ConsSome of the offices are located in the suburbs, which are not ideal for younger employees. If you are not a water, wastewater, or civil engineer, there isn't a whole lot of opportunity for growth. Sometimes the partners seem to protect each other instead of making good business decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate friendships from business

Old partner culture (now hidden with classic VP titles) is destroying morale of the future leaders

Ass Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsOne of the last water/wastewater focussed companies in the industry with a great technologica edge and culture to invest/reward innovative ideas
    Many smart people (see relatively large presence at conferences for the size of the firm)
    Great team work amongst younger staff
    Interesting and innovative projects
    Good compensation and benefits.

ConsOld partner culture creates internal competition and corporate games
    New organization structure is clear on paper, but blurry in reality (too much freedom?).
    Huge disparity in compensation between old partners and new generation of leaders
    Lack of power of management team to move the company in one direction
    Lack of diversity, especially at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the technical edge and continue to invest in technology and conference presence. great job!
    Continue great interoffice collaboration. This is unique about Carollo.
    Communicate more openly between Board/Partners and Other Staff.
    Dare to fire ineffective ex-partners.
    Reward people fairly and avoid major equity issues with new strategic hires. For one new hire, you'll loose 5 valuable employees.

Worked for Carollo Engineers? Contribute to the Community!