www.carollo.com

Updated October 26, 2014
3.5

B. Narayanan

I have been working at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work with great people for the most part. Some need work though.

Cons

Some engineers still have the "I am the engineer and you are support" mentality.

Make sure you keep support staff involved in the promotion tree.

Carollo staff have technical excellence, integrity towards the client, innovation and have been great to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some wonderful people I get to work with every day. This may not sound like its as important as career growth, compensation etc etc. But it makes a huge difference who you spend 2,000+ hours a year with. Carollo is strange in that each office has a different culture. Some of the offices couldn't be further apart. The Denver office is a great place to work. Work life balance can be achieved with some pushing back on upper management and proper work load planning. Technical excellence is at the heart of almost every project we do. Teamwork in Carollo is very successful across numerous offices. Generally people are very polite helpful and responsive.

Cons

Once you get to a certain point in your career in this there is a glass ceiling. If you aren't in the right "technical area" you will not get opportunities to lead projects or teams. PM's, office managers, client service managers almost all leadership is in the hands of process/environmental engineers. Not surprising given the focus of the company and great if you happen to be one. But if you aren't, it is extremely limiting to your career development. The same can be said for allocation of training resources etc. The attitude of management is that everyone but process is just a cost to the business that needs to be minimized. What they fail to realize is the value and expertise they have in those "support" group and how much more they could contribute to the company if they were run as business units and not as a function the business utilities.

The company was reorganized a few years back in an attempt to create more opportunity than was available in the partner model. This was a a complete con. Just added more level of VP's, associates. Titles were handed out left and right that supposedly denote your level of authority. The decision making authority part was true, but most of these mid level managers VP's and associates are working ridiculous hours trying to get ahead and break through into the upper management. Upper management hasn't changed. There is still very little opportunity for advancement. The old partner group is still reaping the benefits of everyone's work. Bonuses and pay raises are pathetic, yet old " partners" are doing very well financially. What is really annoying is some of them don't even work particularly hard these days. Those individuals are milking the firm and waiting for retirement. The company management is extremely tight lipped about finances and distribution of earnings. But you don't have to look to hard before you figure out where all the profits are going. They do not reward hard work or personal growth in a meaningful way here. I plan on taking an opportunity elsewhere in the coming months.

Don't be greedy, share the wealth!! We have more than recovered from our downturn yet pay raises are 2-3% Wonder why we are having employee retention issues and can't find new hires. We are below the market rate.Try to look at the value an individual brings to the firm. Don't hide their value from them, reward it. Numerous designers and junior engineers are paid well below their worth to us. Some joined before the recession and saw pay raises below inflation for several years. Now they are PE's and our competitors value them more than we do. Most of the mid level management I deal with seem over whelmed and over worked and are giving up hope that their sacrifice for your personal gain will ever be worth it. Look around the company a assess the skills you have and those you don't. Business management is a huge whole. Few in top management have any big picture business skills. Wonder why we can't compete for the really big job our competitors keep winning. We don't have the right business skills.

Technical excellence, but not management excellence

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Carollo hires really smart staff and focuses on delivery of highly technical work. Work products are generally very high quality and there is a lot of opportunity to learn cutting edge technical information.

Cons

Carollo rewards the "seller doer" model, with most of the partners (even if they are now called principals) having come from that mold. This is great if that model fits you best, but there is little opportunity to diversify or focus on strengths beyond that model. Leadership is very male focused. I don't believe this is so much because of sexism, as much as it is due to a very high level of conformity in values and work habits among the partners that makes it harder for diverse individuals to feel like a fit.

Great learning environment.

Current Employee - Civil/Mechanical Auditor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Civil/Mechanical Auditor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great core value and value of employees.

Cons

Pay seems a little on the low end of the spectrum.

Good times in Phoenix office

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really liked working with the people in the Phoenix office, especially after developing a good relationship after 10 years of successful project work. The PMs I was lucky enough to work with were very competent and down to earth. I felt very stable and satisfied there. Were it not for a personal decision to relocate to a cooler climate I would still be there.

Cons

You can get pigeonholed into a specific career track that may limit your perceived value if you decide to change companies. Not every manager is great and some can be trying - I was lucky enough to work with the office's more effective PM's. Each office is different and therefore one's individual experience may vary.

Make sure every young engineer is exposed to project management at an earlier stage in their career, perhaps by adopting a "Deputy PM" type approach. This will be beneficial for employees and for the company.

Unique consultant focusing only on water/wastewater

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small enough that you can get well known in the company. Pursuits and projects are usually well-organized. Lots of good internal resources to employees.

Cons

Interoffice communication is sometimes lacking between regions, but connectedness is improving. Small-mid size firm, means fewer project opportunities can sometimes be available.

Utilization of resources across the company can still improve. Development of talent across the company is uneven.

Don't believe "open door policy" - there is definitely an inner circle here.

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good company in the past (> 5 years ago).

Cons

The re-organization that took place internally over the past 2-3 years has strived to give the impression to employees that they matter and that they have a voice. The reality is that there is still an inner circle that is very tight. If you're not one of them, you don't have any say, no matter how many VP titles they pass out. Over 100 VPs in a company of less than 600??? Really?!

If you happen to disagree with one of the inner circle, my advice is to not take advantage of the "open door" policy as you will find that their definition of it is to lead you out the front open door with false promises.

Look back to what built the company up from around 20 years ago to the peak in 1997. Most of those partners are still reachable and I'm sure they would be glad to help fix the mess.

I felt appreciated, trusted and I was given plenty of room to grow

Former Employee - Engineering CAD Technician in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering CAD Technician in San Diego, CA

I worked at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, good environment, annual bonuses

Cons

a lot of competition/distrust between offices

what works for Orange County doesn't necessarily work for other offices, making everyone learn software that they will seldom (or never) have to use is a waste of time and resources. Also, just because a software says its 100% compatible with another doesn't mean its true, and often, the converted documents have problems.

Great company if you want to your hard work to be rewarded.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at Carollo Engineers

Pros

At Carollo you get to work directly for the partners/owners of the company. Since you are directly working for the people that decide your salary, your hard work is rewarded. This is not a place where you can be a wallflower. Employees also get to interact with clients at a relatively young age.

Cons

Some of the offices are located in the suburbs, which are not ideal for younger employees. If you are not a water, wastewater, or civil engineer, there isn't a whole lot of opportunity for growth. Sometimes the partners seem to protect each other instead of making good business decisions.

Separate friendships from business

Old partner culture (now hidden with classic VP titles) is destroying morale of the future leaders

Current Employee - Ass Vice President
    Current Employee - Ass Vice President

I have been working at Carollo Engineers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the last water/wastewater focussed companies in the industry with a great technologica edge and culture to invest/reward innovative ideas
    Many smart people (see relatively large presence at conferences for the size of the firm)
    Great team work amongst younger staff
    Interesting and innovative projects
    Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Old partner culture creates internal competition and corporate games
    New organization structure is clear on paper, but blurry in reality (too much freedom?).
    Huge disparity in compensation between old partners and new generation of leaders
    Lack of power of management team to move the company in one direction
    Lack of diversity, especially at the top.

Keep the technical edge and continue to invest in technology and conference presence. great job!
    Continue great interoffice collaboration. This is unique about Carollo.
    Communicate more openly between Board/Partners and Other Staff.
    Dare to fire ineffective ex-partners.
    Reward people fairly and avoid major equity issues with new strategic hires. For one new hire, you'll loose 5 valuable employees.