Carpathia Hosting Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Peter Weber

1. Best company I have ever worked at!

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting

Pros

I love working for Carpathia! I actually look forward to coming to work everyday. I work as part of a great team of highly intelligent and talented Systems Administrators and Engineers. Management is awesome and they have your back as long as you can explain your actions. You will get to experience a ton of different environments. There is always something new to learn. This job can present challenges that will humble any Admin or Engineer, but that is a good thing.

I really hope the QTS buyout doesn't change how things are, especially in my department. It's the people who work there, especially in Operations, management particularly, that make it worth working there. We are all a bunch of Comic Book/Video Game/Sci-Fi IT geeks/nerds who actually get along with each other. It's the little things that make the difference. Other companies serve up the Kool-Aid to try to trick you into believing they are great, Carpathia doesn't have to. We do have some unique personalities that don't fit in elsewhere, but that is one of the things that makes working there so great! Work hard/Play hard mentality is awesome!

Cons

The QTS buyout does have some employees nervous, but it's understandable as most mergers have issues for current employees. It's still to be determined how much this will effect us.

Communication between departments could be better, but I've experienced much worse.

An actual training program would be nice, but the nature of our job makes it hard to create one. Just give it a few months and you will pick it up though. Just ask questions, the other guys on your team will actually help you.

Work life balance can be strained sometimes. When stuff goes down you may have to work late, or get a call in the middle of the night, but that is not really a con. Take pride in your work and work hard. Don't come here just to collect a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to keep employees from leaving. The teams we have are great, keep them that way.

2. Things in flux

Current Employee - Tech in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Tech in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No longer venture-owned
    Still not great about it, but getting better about documentation and process
    As part of the purchase by QTS, Carpathia will have matching 401k in 2016, finally

Cons

Recent acquisition has staff nervous
    Doesn't pay as much as other firms in area
    Tends to lurch from one "priority project" to another
    training process needs work

3. Very personal company, they treat all employees like an actual person and not just a warm body. They listen to us.

Current Employee - Data Center Technician
    Current Employee - Data Center Technician

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting

Pros

Personal, great benefits, knowledgeable management, and excellent opportunities. They allow many of the data center technicians an ability to travel worldwide to different data centers.

Cons

Honestly cant think of any, they give paid training and will even pay for work related certifications like CompTIA!

5. Great Team but no Growth

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Carpathia Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Data Center Tech Team were one of the best teams i have worked with. DC manager was great as well. Worked as a team and the Manager has your back as long as there is justification for any issues, he will take the blame for you.

Cons

Project Team does not know what they are doing or what they want. Most of the time they will tell you to do something and then complete reverse their decision making everyone do re-work and rush to deliver to the client. Very unorganized.

Advice to Management

Hire Project Managers and Tech Account Managers that have some knowledge in the IT field. Also, provide some type of training in order to get the most out of your employees

6. Great Place to work!!

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting

Pros

Great company, very smart and talented people, very positive and team oriented environment, work hard, play hard mentality. Very friendly atmosphere. Teams work together to support their clients. Growing company with lots of possibilities. Good benefits. Work life balance is one of the best. You'll like coming to work even on a rough day.

Cons

Needs more staff but it's a growing company so that's not a bad thing. It has its normal issues just like any company, but at the end of the day there's camaraderie and everyone supports one another.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, happy workers will always go the extra mile and then some when they know they work for a great company.

7. Great environment to gain experience with various technologies

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules make Carpathia a great place to work. If you love to diversify your skillset and experience you are encouraged. The salary, bonus package, and benefits are decent. The company goes through great lengths to promote work-life balance by hosting annual events (annual company trip to watch a baseball game, etc)

Cons

No 401K match. You are expected to be available to occasionally assist afterhours and may end up working very long hours as a result on such occasions.

8. Room for improvement

I have been working at Carpathia Hosting

Pros

Nice people, lots of company functions

Cons

Benefits aren't great and they run very lean on resources

9. Good 'Ol Boys Club

I worked at Carpathia Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's hard to get fired from Carpathia and there's free coffee.

Cons

The executive management team doesn't allow outside ideas to penetrate their tight circle. If you are looking for a company that offers growth or rewards you for excellence, Carpathia is not the right company.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees once in a while.

10. Upper Management are friends from SevenSpace > Sun Microsystems and finally Carpathia.

Former Employee - No Way in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - No Way in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Carpathia Hosting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

They talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Advice to Management

Advice to Spire Capital. Break up the click from SevenSpace that now includes a few new members.

Don’t take a cleared job with this company you will regret it.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Carpathia Hosting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very little supervision or care for how well the employee performs. Great place to work for lazy employees who just want to get by and pull a pay check. You might get a t-shirt!

Cons

Zero 401K matching, raises are not a sure thing, no bonus, no other projects to work on for those with SCI clearance. Our team was told no raises since the Megaupload problem they had which had nothing to do with the contract I was on. Between the prime contractor and us the sub we had six people leave in less than 2 years on a team of only 9. Oh and best of all is that the project manager does not even have a clearance.

Advice to Management

Take care of the good employees they are few and far between and will find a good company to work for.

RSS Feed </> Embed