Carpenter Technology Reviews

Greg Pratt
1 Rating

Finance Coordinator Accts. Receivable/Payable

I have been working at Carpenter Technology

Pros

Great Benefits, there is a lot of room for improvement in regards to job growth.

Cons

No training given, communication is nule

Advice to Management

Need to support employees and help them grow in their positions!

It's only getting worse.

Current Employee - Production in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Production in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There isn't many anymore, you get a least 40 hours a week, if you like working 7 days week, this is your place. Can't list benefits as a pro anymore, health insurance is average, PTO is average, use to be a great company to work for, but not anymore.

Cons

To many managers, supervisors, support personal. Bonus system is a joke anymore, benefits are average, seniority means nothing, machinery is outdated, they dont want to fix anything right, low morale. They want to be the best company, with best employees, but continue to terminate once good benefits, and tell you if you don't like it, you know where the door is. No sick days.

Advice to Management

Managers only care about $$$, we'll see how they like it when the union comes around.

3. Here's The Truth...Maybe Someone Will Listen Here.

I have been working at Carpenter Technology

Pros

The first and foremost is pay. It's "okay." It's not the best it could be for the amount of skill and accuracies needed to perform the tasks and this includes the dangers as well. The benefits are ok, again, cutting back they've taken away some plans that employees benefited from. They could be better. If you like to work consistently, then this is the place for you. The Pension/401K is ok.

Cons

There is a few things here and every single one of them can be fixed to make this an employee friendly and family friendly company. I will save the biggest con for last which is the problem causing all of this. I'm not ranting and raving. I'm not even angry. I'm upset because I've been here a long time and I've continually watched this go down hill and it's all because of my number one con. 7.)The pension plan is no longer available to new employees. 6.)The bonus plan is virtually gone due to poor financial decisions in Athens and Latrobe. Let's be honest these places are money pits and do not produce enough product to cover their costs. This is a huge problem. 5.)The hours are very long. They will tell you there is "opportunity" for over-time. They won't tell you that you will be FORCED to work 12 hour shifts and 7 days a week constantly. 4.)Swing shifting. You will never get adjusted to a sleep pattern. 3.)Spending money on acquisitions, the place is antiquated with regards to it's equipment. 2.)It seems as though the care for the employees doesn't matter unless it costs money. 1.)Management. Management in this company is poor at best. It is based off of the buddy system. There is no adherence to any qualifications what-so-ever! There are some good managers I'm sure, but I have not met them yet. This also includes supervisors. They are absolutely clueless and not interested in anything an employee has to say. They all take the attitude of "just be glad you have a job." I haven't met one manager that has a clue about anything. You ask anyone on the floor of this place and they will tell you the number one problem is management. Especially middle management. For example: I have a supervisor, a manager, another manager, another manager of him, and then a V.P.. Why so much? This is a problem through-out the company. There is too much cream at the top. There is no communication either. In my department, the supervisor and mangers have no clue how to do our jobs...but they think they do. This is a huge, huge problem and it can all be changed if the people at the top truly cared.

Advice to Management

I understand that managers are needed. But, when a manager or a supervisor has no clue what is going on or how to do the jobs in the department, you will never gain the respect of your subordinates. Never. Treat your employees as valuable assets; because we are! There is so much knowledge on the floor of this company that goes unappreciated. This is for upper management. Clean out the middle managers. They do nothing. Laying off P&M and hiring more managers isn't justifiable. Managers do not do the work and this must be realized. This company has never been union but I can tell you first hand there is major talk of getting a union in here to have representation. You are supposed to represent the people in your department area. The general consensus is that management doesn't care about anything if it costs money and this is because they keep the budgets low to get a kick back in bonus money at everyone's expense in the department. Take some appreciation for how hard the people in the department work with the massive amounts of overtime because of improper staffing, no days off for months at a time because of improper staffing, and just the knowledge and dedication that the non management employees have in this company. With out us, nothing can be made. With out management, our jobs can go on. This is a serious problem with this company and it always has been.

Long Time Employee in Management at Dynamet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good "stepping stone" company. Just don't plan on retiring from there.

Cons

Company is being run by management that knows nothing about the process or products. Outside contractors can have a field day at this place.

Advice to Management

Senior management has no clue. Wrong people in the wrong positions.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension plus 401k Possibilities to move up generally supportive environment tuition reimbursement and/or some opportunities paid for up-front

Cons

Slow to change old boys network shift work for a lot of the production folks swing shifts make it hard to get a solid sleep pattern

Advice to Management

Realize there is a lot of experience out there on the work floor that you are not tapping in to. Take some time to really listen to people and give ideas a chance.

7. Feild Sales Rep

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Daphne, AL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Daphne, AL

I have been working at Carpenter Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good solid company. Great Benefits, and Pay. Great Products!

Cons

Large company with poor direction and communication from the middle management down to the field which leads to a lot of lost business.

Advice to Management

Have a streamline approach. Dissolve your distribution arm and become a 100% manufacture that is concentrated on high quality products.

8. Manufacturing Engineer

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A growing market with a corporate parent willing to make the capital investments needed to keep pace with the market.

Cons

An industrial environment that has the feeling of a steel mill. There are disadvantages to being a remote facility of a parent company.

It's a shame.

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time

Pros

Decent pay. Fairly steady employment. Could be a great place to work if it had what I consider real leadership.

Cons

There is a definite bias is advancement opportunities. People better suited to do jobs to help the company move forward are routinely denied the chance to do so based on weather or not they wear a certain ring. Through a continual network of lying and denial between management and human resources even new employees come to quickly realize there is nowhere in the company to turn for fairness.The environment on the floor is toxic.The only defense is to not care. Production is suffering greatly.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror.Is the agenda of a secret society more important than the survival of the company?

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, great people, great company. Very professional place to work and a great family to be apart of.

Cons

Learning curve. Very steep and intricate learning curve especially if no prior knowledge of the workings of a steel mill.

11. Overall good company - currently going through leadership change.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits package and employees truly care about the company!

Cons

Very cyclical business and it needs to adjust workforce quickly for down cycles.

Advice to Management

N/A

RSS Feed </> Embed