Carpenter Technology Reviews

Updated April 23, 2014

3.3

Carpenter Technology President, CEO, and Director William A. (Bill) Wulfsohn
William A. (Bill) Wulfsohn

Great people, neat products/technologies, old-school mentality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really good people and benefits. The company has strong plans for growth and is targeting the right markets. Great technical knowledge.

Cons

The data systems are old and difficult to work with. Workforce is spread too thin.

Awesome Experience and Would Love to Go Back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Workers accept you right away, and management values your ideas. The company has excellent plans in place for promotion, including education assistance. Raises are sizable, and annual. The company also supports many charities, and will support an employee who wants to participate in their charity.

Cons

It is a large company, and many are set in their way of doing things. It will take some time before enough of the older workers, who only consider their job and not where their job fits within the company's overall plan, are replaced with workers who understand Carpenter's international status.

Stop working in silos, and reach across departments to bring Carpenter into the future.

Change comes slowly here

I worked at Carpenter Technology

Pros

Deep expertise, respect in their markets, excellent manufacturing processes,

Cons

Slow to change, antiquated IT systems, middle management is very traditional and status conscience

Shake some things up! Reorganize some of the departments, turn it into a six sigma culture, and get rid of some of the dead wood

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good, very ethical and respected company to work for

Current Employee - Global Procurement Intern  in  Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Global Procurement Intern in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Reputable company
    Nice people
    good place to settle down
    good salary and benefit

Cons

old system
    more innovations and creativity in the work place

Hire more international people, going global is a key

Dynamet - A home of unhappy people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive salary for the market, good benefits package including 401k match and healthcare. Willing to pay for additional schooling if manager approves.

Cons

One executive level manager over many years has created a very tense environment between the different departments at the company. Trying to accomplish an inter department project is nearly impossible because of this poor environment. Many of the employees there are very nice, but as the saying goes a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. Also hours are extremely long and are not appreciated by upper management. Many employees are not held accountable tor completing there job.

There needs to be an onsite division president that can come in and mix up the whole group.

Very Nice Place To Work

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Washington, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) They allow their subsidiaries to function with autonomy
    2) Excellent pay and benefits
    3) Very high retention rate of lower level workers
    4) You learn a lot

Cons

1) Takes a long time to get capital expenditures approved.
    2) High turnover in upper management positions including CEO
    3) As stated above, many workers there for a long time (some over 35 years) and thus are resistant to change
    4) Some equipment there over 35 years, also

Quit expanding and acquiring on concentrate on what you currently have

stay away if you're looking for for a career or promised advancement/training opportunities

Former Employee - EMT/Patrol Officer  in  Reading, PA
    Former Employee - EMT/Patrol Officer in Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

new patrol vehicles

uniforms provided

occasionally free lunch is provided

Cons

contracted security with no voice or interaction with actual employer

bare minimum supplied emergency equipment to perform duties

lack of security training

incompetent coworkers

no advancement opportunities

only 2 security personnel on duty for overnight shifts, expected to patrol entire property which is over 100 acres in size

know it all management that is unsupervised

management fails to believe words of employees and instead makes owns decisions

high turnover of coworkers which leads to department being seemingly always understaffed

pay raises go by company standards instead of employer standards which equate to $0.15/hour per year at current contractor pay rate.

6 years of employment will almost net you a $1.00/hour pay raise

no training or education reimbursement opportunities beyond basic CPR/AED class

no interaction with safety department (departments are on different ends of property)

days are sometimes so busy that there will NOT be time to take lunch break, you have to fit lunch and bathroom breaks into your daily events

hold security training sessions and EMT con-ed courses

listen to employees when they tell you something

focus on recruitment and retention or you will continue to lose good employees and retain trouble employees

restructure the department and have sit down meetings with current employees

hold compensated exit interviews when people decide to quit

R&D is best Business Unit to Intern for

Current Employee - Summer R&D Intern  in  Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Summer R&D Intern in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The process modelling business unit was great to work for as an intern. I had a few diverse projects, and wasn't merely logging data from analog instruments all day like some of my friends on the mill floor were. My project advisers and coworkers were helpful and treated the interns with respect, and taught me a lot over the months I was there.

Cons

There was limited hands-on experience in the modelling unit. This is a pro for some, and a con for others. I like a mix of both hands-on work and modelling, so I would have appreciated a bit more shop and floor time. The location isn't bad, but there are not many places nearby to get lunch.

Class Organization for over 100 years

Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant  in  Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Consultant in Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

strong ethical committment, committment to local economy, demonstrated ability to change

Cons

can be stodgy, slow to react to new ideas

leverage the knowledge of former employees

Asset Protection Services (APS)......Can someone please give us a VOICE?

Current Employee - EMT/Patrol Officer  in  Reading, PA
    Current Employee - EMT/Patrol Officer in Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

fair pay for EMT's $15.00/hour, uniforms provided, 5 days off period (if fully staffed and no overtime is available), occassional free hot dog days

Cons

contracted security with minimal interaction with actual employer, 12 hour weekend shifts mandatory, rotational hour schedule, must wear body armor, no shift differential, no yearly bonus, expensive insurance, very low morale, new hires quit early and some dont even complete their training period before quitting, retention problems, almost non-existent advancement opportunities, minimal training opportunities, extreme amount of added responsiblities on top of EMT duties for the actual level of compensation, pay freezes, seemingly always understaffed, local City of Reading commuter tax, mandatory assigned overtime if not taken, no perks of an actual Carpenter employee yet we wear the logo and words Carpenter on our uniform which feel like an attempt to hide from others that we are actually contracted and recieve no Carpenter benefits

consider offering contracted security temp to hire opportunities or a better starting hourly pay, this department could operate so much better and more efficient as we are the eyes and ears of the entire operation as well as the well being of actual Carpenter Employees when emergencies arise, more management needed to assist or at least supervise, department employees fear loss of job if they speak out, do an actual performance based raised instead of percentage based, sit down with entire department and do anonymous interviews that guarantee job security, we have ideas that could benefit the company.....constructive criticism can be helpful.....I actually fear losing my job just posting this...and will be sure to post and additional review if I do. It has been rumored that our departments budget has been cut this year when really it needs an increase if it was properly managed due to the company acquiring the former "DANA" property. We have outgrown the Communications Center and office area. Higher level management PLEASE feel free to stop in anytime and during off hours to meet us as we are here 24/7!....our last Health & Safety Director who actually seemed to care about us and would come to visit us was terminated and we were given no explanation, I've been told the entire Safety Department used to be contracted as well. Maybe its time for an in-depth department audit. I hear so many things that makes me shake my head...but we are forced to keep our mouths shut. This job has so much potential but I too now I too am losing my motivation. I once saw a bright future here but now I think its starting to become another stepping stone for my resume. If you're going to contract us out, let that company due to hiring and interviews as well as our performance evaluations.

Worked for Carpenter Technology? Contribute to the Community!