Carpenter Technology
www.cartech.com Wyomissing, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Carpenter Technology Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014
Carpenter Technology – Reading – “2013 Ford Explorer Interceptor stripped model”

Carpenter Technology President, CEO, and Director William A. (Bill) Wulfsohn

William A. (Bill) Wulfsohn

Awesome Experience and Would Love to Go Back

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorkers accept you right away, and management values your ideas. The company has excellent plans in place for promotion, including education assistance. Raises are sizable, and annual. The company also supports many charities, and will support an employee who wants to participate in their charity.

ConsIt is a large company, and many are set in their way of doing things. It will take some time before enough of the older workers, who only consider their job and not where their job fits within the company's overall plan, are replaced with workers who understand Carpenter's international status.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop working in silos, and reach across departments to bring Carpenter into the future.

Change comes slowly here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Carpenter Technology

ProsDeep expertise, respect in their markets, excellent manufacturing processes,

ConsSlow to change, antiquated IT systems, middle management is very traditional and status conscience

Advice to Senior ManagementShake some things up! Reorganize some of the departments, turn it into a six sigma culture, and get rid of some of the dead wood

good, very ethical and respected company to work for

Global Procurement Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Carpenter Technology as an intern for less than a year

ProsReputable company
Nice people
good place to settle down
good salary and benefit

Consold system
more innovations and creativity in the work place

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more international people, going global is a key

Dynamet - A home of unhappy people

Washington, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive salary for the market, good benefits package including 401k match and healthcare. Willing to pay for additional schooling if manager approves.

ConsOne executive level manager over many years has created a very tense environment between the different departments at the company. Trying to accomplish an inter department project is nearly impossible because of this poor environment. Many of the employees there are very nice, but as the saying goes a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. Also hours are extremely long and are not appreciated by upper management. Many employees are not held accountable tor completing there job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be an onsite division president that can come in and mix up the whole group.

Very Nice Place To Work

Process Engineer (Former Employee)
Washington, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros1) They allow their subsidiaries to function with autonomy
2) Excellent pay and benefits
3) Very high retention rate of lower level workers
4) You learn a lot

Cons1) Takes a long time to get capital expenditures approved.
2) High turnover in upper management positions including CEO
3) As stated above, many workers there for a long time (some over 35 years) and thus are resistant to change
4) Some equipment there over 35 years, also

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit expanding and acquiring on concentrate on what you currently have

stay away if you're looking for for a career or promised advancement/training opportunities

EMT/Patrol Officer (Former Employee)
Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology as a contractor for more than a year

Prosnew patrol vehicles

uniforms provided

occasionally free lunch is provided

Conscontracted security with no voice or interaction with actual employer

bare minimum supplied emergency equipment to perform duties

lack of security training

incompetent coworkers

no advancement opportunities

only 2 security personnel on duty for overnight shifts, expected to patrol entire property which is over 100 acres in size

know it all management that is unsupervised

management fails to believe words of employees and instead makes owns decisions

high turnover of coworkers which leads to department being seemingly always understaffed

pay raises go by company standards instead of employer standards which equate to $0.15/hour per year at current contractor pay rate.

6 years of employment will almost net you a $1.00/hour pay raise

no training or education reimbursement opportunities beyond basic CPR/AED class

no interaction with safety department (departments are on different ends of property)

days are sometimes so busy that there will NOT be time to take lunch break, you have to fit lunch and bathroom breaks into your daily events

Advice to Senior Managementhold security training sessions and EMT con-ed courses

listen to employees when they tell you something

focus on recruitment and retention or you will continue to lose good employees and retain trouble employees

restructure the department and have sit down meetings with current employees

hold compensated exit interviews when people decide to quit

R&D is best Business Unit to Intern for

Summer R&D Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Carpenter Technology as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe process modelling business unit was great to work for as an intern. I had a few diverse projects, and wasn't merely logging data from analog instruments all day like some of my friends on the mill floor were. My project advisers and coworkers were helpful and treated the interns with respect, and taught me a lot over the months I was there.

ConsThere was limited hands-on experience in the modelling unit. This is a pro for some, and a con for others. I like a mix of both hands-on work and modelling, so I would have appreciated a bit more shop and floor time. The location isn't bad, but there are not many places nearby to get lunch.

Class Organization for over 100 years

Human Resources Consultant (Former Employee)
Reading, PA

I worked at Carpenter Technology as a contractor for less than a year

Prosstrong ethical committment, committment to local economy, demonstrated ability to change

Conscan be stodgy, slow to react to new ideas

Advice to Senior Managementleverage the knowledge of former employees

Asset Protection Services (APS)......Can someone please give us a VOICE?

EMT/Patrol Officer (Current Employee)
Reading, PA

I have been working at Carpenter Technology full-time for more than a year

Prosfair pay for EMT's $15.00/hour, uniforms provided, 5 days off period (if fully staffed and no overtime is available), occassional free hot dog days

Conscontracted security with minimal interaction with actual employer, 12 hour weekend shifts mandatory, rotational hour schedule, must wear body armor, no shift differential, no yearly bonus, expensive insurance, very low morale, new hires quit early and some dont even complete their training period before quitting, retention problems, almost non-existent advancement opportunities, minimal training opportunities, extreme amount of added responsiblities on top of EMT duties for the actual level of compensation, pay freezes, seemingly always understaffed, local City of Reading commuter tax, mandatory assigned overtime if not taken, no perks of an actual Carpenter employee yet we wear the logo and words Carpenter on our uniform which feel like an attempt to hide from others that we are actually contracted and recieve no Carpenter benefits

Advice to Senior Managementconsider offering contracted security temp to hire opportunities or a better starting hourly pay, this department could operate so much better and more efficient as we are the eyes and ears of the entire operation as well as the well being of actual Carpenter Employees when emergencies arise, more management needed to assist or at least supervise, department employees fear loss of job if they speak out, do an actual performance based raised instead of percentage based, sit down with entire department and do anonymous interviews that guarantee job security, we have ideas that could benefit the company.....constructive criticism can be helpful.....I actually fear losing my job just posting this...and will be sure to post and additional review if I do. It has been rumored that our departments budget has been cut this year when really it needs an increase if it was properly managed due to the company acquiring the former "DANA" property. We have outgrown the Communications Center and office area. Higher level management PLEASE feel free to stop in anytime and during off hours to meet us as we are here 24/7!....our last Health & Safety Director who actually seemed to care about us and would come to visit us was terminated and we were given no explanation, I've been told the entire Safety Department used to be contracted as well. Maybe its time for an in-depth department audit. I hear so many things that makes me shake my head...but we are forced to keep our mouths shut. This job has so much potential but I too now I too am losing my motivation. I once saw a bright future here but now I think its starting to become another stepping stone for my resume. If you're going to contract us out, let that company due to hiring and interviews as well as our performance evaluations.

Temp Working as a Lab Technitian

Lab Tech (Former Employee)
Clearwater, FL

I worked at Carpenter Technology full-time for less than a year

ProsIt paid better tan previous jobs that I held. Coworkers were quirky and entertaining

ConsThe company employed half of its workforce through a temp agency. A single safety violation would get you fired and workers hid fairly serious injuries and grotesque scars because of the legitimate fear of termination. The company offered little in the ways of job security unless you passed the 18 month gauntlet of being a temp and the 6 month permanent employee probation period.. After having worked for a company wit a very sympathetic and hands on corporate structure, I was fairly appalled at the lack of humanity applied to the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are not numbers. If you wish to employ educated individuals with a potential to improve the company, you need to start treating employees like people

Worked for Carpenter Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carpenter Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carpenter Technology CEO William A. (Bill) Wulfsohn. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Carpenter Technology employees.