Carphone Warehouse Reviews

Reset
2.3
Carphone Warehouse Deputy Group CEO Andrew Harrison
Andrew Harrison

Pros
  • Some stores can offer flexible hours (although new staff are now only given temporary contracts) (in 6 reviews)

• In short, you will work on great campaigns with great people gaining a lot of valuable experience (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Life at Carphone Head Office in North Acton was always incredible fast paced and hectic (in 5 reviews)

• Company is going backwards in terms of how they treat their staff and I am so happy I am getting off the sinking ship (in 4 reviews)

1. Great fun, Options for progression.

Current Employee - Customer Consultant/AM in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant/AM in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good money. - Good team, friendly people.

Cons

- Systems are old/slow. - Options for progression but little support.

2. unorganised, no recognition and just going down hill

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible hours - Friendly staff members - Easy to work in - Learn a lot about the mobile industry - discounts on line rental is awesome

Cons

- When the merge took place between dixons carphone, was promised a secondment bonus after 3 months, and to this date none of the staff have received it. Emails have been sent to other departments but they are "trying" to chase is up. Currently feeling helpless and ripped off after working two years in the company. - When ever there are quiet periods, the consultants have to take in a hell of a lot from management and other seniors when it is out of our control. - The commission scheme is just getting worse and worse as the years go by, even though the consultants generate the most amount of profit for the company. Consultants are just workers simply at the bottom of the chain. - The customer service rating needs to change, 1 low score for something which may not be a consultants fault ruins the hard work of the other higher end scorses

Disgraceful

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours (sometimes) consultants are always very nice and supportive Get a months holiday so you can get away from the place

Cons

Head office have no idea how to manage Payroll haven't submitted my time card from years ago, never informed me of this They really do not care if they put there staff a risk by having all these expensive device demos out on display for the crooks to steal Make you stand up all day even if you have back problems, just get told 'it's what the company want' The door has to be kept open to lure the customer in EVEN in the middle of winter, having the heater on is pointless as we get told to stay at the front of the shop by the door to greet them as they walk in. No proper support they make you feel dispensable. I've given them chance after chance with all their BS shoddy ideas. The pinpoint devices that freeze, the 'we match your network UNLESS they give you a special deal...(rme) rubbish. At the end of the day it's not a place you aspire to be I have a suspicion that Carphone have there media department, writing good reviews on here to make themselves look better. Stay well clear!

No opportunity to progress

Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can wear casual dress Car parking

Cons

No career progression Chaotic management style

Advice to Management

Be fair about career opportunities to existing staff

Great company to work for

Former Contractor - Social Media Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Social Media Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment and opportunity to get involved in projects, as well as a dedicated team of workers.

Cons

Senior level leaders understanding of modern-day marketing activity left a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Invest in digital talent

7. If you can't look after you staff, how do you expect them to look after your customers

Former Employee - Technical Support Advisor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Advisor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts with o2 and EE, and now that they have merged with Currys PC World, you get discounts there too. Don't expect much though. (10%)

Cons

You get underpaid all the time with no apology and just have to wait until the next pay day, there is a lack of respect from other team members. A lack of communication between head office and stores means that head office contradicts what staff are saying, making them look unqualified and uneducated on basics. The general bad customer service associated with this brand is caused by unhappy, poorly managed employees.

Liars, bullies, and immorals please apply

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The odd actually decent person here or there

Cons

Managers: • Do not manage, they are bullies. They are not leaders, just brutes. Workers: • To be successful in CPW you need to know how to: 1) Lie to customers about "good deals" that aren't actually good but will help you reach your targets 2) Bully customers into buying contracts to reach your targets 3) Have the morals (or lack there of) to be able to live with your dirty sales tactics and enjoy fooling people * If you can do all of the above, you will love it here. If you cannot do point 3, you will hate it there.

Advice to Management

Schizophrenic goals of high sales and high customer care is incompatible and creates a culture of dishonesty just to hit targets. Pick a single goal and stick to it, don't pretend to care about customer service when it is all about sales.

The customer DOES NOT count. Managers play with your lives and the company gives 0% work satisfaction.

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts on a few contract, meeting like minded people. That's really about it to be honest...

Cons

Salary poor for what we do and deal with on a daily basis, very old computers to work with, poor technology being used by the company who sells the latest phones and tablets, customers come last, targets first. No chairs to sit on. And finally...pinpoint; the biggest waste of time this planet has ever seen. We stand for 9 hours a day. We get paid peanuts. We have so many targets to meet, and we allow our bonuses to be controlled by those who have no problem with the store service but issues with the network. Yes i am talking about "World Class Service Score". As for targets, they don't allow us to give the customer what they NEED, but rather what WE NEED THEM to HAVE in order for us to hit target. Like Geek Squad - we force it on them telling them to take 2 weeks free. They then forget to cancel it and come and blame us. Oh and if anyone wants to cancel their contract - forget it! The company minuses it from the stores margin. What does this mean? STORES MAKE UP LIES SO CUSTOMERS GO TO ANOTHER STORE. We say "No manager" or any old crap so they go to the next nearest store.

Advice to Management

Fire the person who came up with 'Pinpoint' - it doesn't help the customer or us. It wastes time - time that YOU don't even allow us to have. Not all customers are old ladies who will benefit from finding out exactly how much data they 'might' use to the MB. Or tapping what they use their phone for. Waste of millions of pounds, sorry. Instead why not invest in a more updated P.O.S system like the other mobile phone retailers and update the look of store interiors? And give us and customers comfortable chairs? Oh and paying us more for all we deal with daily might help.

Very good

Former Employee - Team Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

learning opportunites, building up network

Cons

Career developing, no flexibility of working hours.

Pulling at straws!

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff discount Great collegues Theres nothing else that will keep me in this job for much longer!

Cons

Started 5 years ago and they still havnt made the changes that they said they would to improve operational efficiency, during my 'training'. They do not care about their employees, just profits. They invest millions on pinpoint tablets, put them in the stores, without a correct system in place to ensure staff are trained, then threaten disciplinary action if not used. The tablets have been in place awhile now and even some managers are confused on the process cpw want them to follow in order to complete the tablet transactions successfully Certain 'manager's' are allowed to get away with discriminatory behaviour if they suck up to the area manager, and if they hit the figures - by what ever 'means' necessary.

Advice to Management

It seems that the training has not improved in the past 5+ years Make sure there is no bias behaviour allowing dodgy activity from manager's Stop treating your staff like crap and understand that once the hard working excellent sales staff will leave and you will be left with inadequate staff!

RSS Feed </> Embed