Carphone Warehouse

Updated November 19, 2014
2.3

Carphone Warehouse Deputy Group CEO Andrew Harrison
Andrew Harrison

Pros
  • Flexible hours for those who need it (in 5 reviews)

• Good discount which now applies to Best Buy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Life at Carphone Head Office in North Acton was always incredible fast paced and hectic (in 5 reviews)

• Company is going backwards in terms of how they treat their staff and I am so happy I am getting off the sinking ship (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Carphone Warehouse London Head Office

I worked at Carphone Warehouse

Pros

Fast moving and exciting environment, lots of opportunities

Cons

frequent changes of business strategy

Hard work but fun

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Essex, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Essex, MD

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice friendly environment. Good pay, bonuses and rewards. No management bullies. Friendly and helpful colleagues. In general it's a calm job.

Cons

The stress of pinpoint and targets. Not a lot of communication from the management to store and irregular working hours. Lack of chairs.

Try and get more involved in store.

Tough but rewarding, experience whether good or bad is location dependent.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- flexible hours
    - competitive salary
    - decent benefits and discounts
    - fast moving and exciting marketplace
    - good for tech lovers as you are surrounded by the latest and best gadgets
    - great job for students
    - job security
    - in the good stores like mine there is a tangible excitement and a great warm atmosphere and a drive to hit targets. The issue is that these types of stores are an exception to the rule
    - some of the poor stores actually harm the brand

Cons

- long hours
    - constantly changing of goalposts in regards to targets
    - archaic computer system which is horrendous to use and contributes to numerous issues
    - huge gap between good stores and bad stores, good rgms ( regional general manager ) and poor rgms with questionable practices
    - cost cutting has led the mix between part time and full time to be too extreme. We don't recruit full time front line customer consultants leading to losing out on potential talent and teams full of part timers who have no experience
    - too many issues arise with little or no clear process in resolving. Staff are left exposed to try and deal with these issues which arise through no fault of their own
    - internal customer satisfaction survey wcss is flawed and the appeals process for wrong scores is long winded leading staff to give up and accept the poor score.
    - recruitment process is long winded and it takes ages to get someone onboard
    - targeting has no basis in reality and at times is impossible to achieve leading to apathy in stores
    - too much pressure at times that it is suffocating

You may think that by my cons lost outweighing the pros list that I hate my job but nothing could be further from the truth. I love my job and am proud to work for carphone warehouse but there are issues that need addressing. There is too big a gap between good and bad stores, too big a gap between good rgms who have integrity and good practices to poor rgms that just chase the number at all costs. I'm very fortunate that I work for a rgm andy watson that has integrity, that has a passion for the company and his managers. He encourages my development and he has given me every opportunity in my 12 year carphone career. He doesn't always go in hard with whatever flavour of the month that carphone decide has to be hit and protects his managers. He's a decent man. The issue is that again that andy is an exception to the rule, other rgms are not as good.

The head honchos need to get into stores more often, they hear a sanitised version of reality.

I believe in the future of carphone, I believe we have integrity.

The bigger we have got as a company has meant we have lost sight of what is the most important thing, our people , our values and fundamentals and the customer as we are chasing a number.

I love my job and would recommend carphone as a career to anyone. Hopefully if the exec board read this they will act on my cons list.

There is a truly exceptional company fighting to get to the surface, let it come out

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse

Pros

Get to play with the latest technology (when you get time)

Cons

Reward not linked to main focus
    Reward not linked to customer experience
    Flawed internal WCSS system.
    Worked like a dog, no breaks.
    Not allowed to run our stores like adults.
    Year by year the company in sinking, used to look after it's people, not interested anymore.
    All about sales with dis-regard to how they're people feel.

Speak to Charles about how to look after it's people. Charles has my upmost respect and every time he speaks I feel inspired.... Unfortunately the same can't be said of anyone else. I suggest they read this.

No opportunity to progress

Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Services Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can wear casual dress
    Car parking

Cons

No career progression
    Chaotic management style

Be fair about career opportunities to existing staff

Care about $$$ but not about workforce, customers, processes or fairness.

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Basic pay is ok, pay for front line is (currently) ok. Tech. Used to be much better.
    Front line can earn some commission.

Cons

Systems don't work.
    Bonus pot will only pay out 60%.
    Bullying
    Hitting 'targets' & not being paid Bonus. 90% of stores.
    Customer service score is a con. 1 score <6 means no bonus.
    Low Morale. BUllying.
    Stress and Pressure.
    Bullying
    Low staff levels.
    Pinpoint.
    Bullying.

See 'cons'/.

Attractive Prospects, that get worse the longer you are there.

Current Employee - Customer Consultant

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work in a small but busy branch. The staff are friendly enough, the locations okay and cheaper contracts are pretty good.

Cons

Lack of teaching after a certain point.

I did a lot of insurance claims with little to no teaching, ending up making a mistake which could cost the boss their bonus. I made a mistake and of course expected my share of the blame, but was told almost instantly this could cost me my job.

Insurance sales seems aggressive and unfriendly. Yes geek squad offers some great features BUT it is NOT the best out there. I can't match their unnatural expectations. I feel a constant pressure to manipulate people. People want insurance, they will get get insurance.

The rota is ridiculous. I am on a fairly short term contract which ends up 38+ changing all the time. I can't remember the last time I got to go to a social event.

Sort out the whole company. Bad habits.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Social Media Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Social Media Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment and opportunity to get involved in projects, as well as a dedicated team of workers.

Cons

Senior level leaders understanding of modern-day marketing activity left a lot to be desired.

Invest in digital talent

Don't work here while studying

Current Employee - Customer Consultant

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is good, some of the benefits like network discount are okay as well

Cons

I've worked in a few stores, all seriously understaffed. Management force you to work over your contract hours (i'm a university student, I asked to work my contracted 15 hours to which I was told "you'll work what you're given" which amounts to 35+ hours a week. Hugely unrealistic targets which they will threaten your job over. Managers change the entire rota depending on what days they want, and notice periods for shifts are non-existent (I'm talking about finding out that you're working on that morning without any choice in the matter). Don't expect any breaks either, I've worked so many 9/10 hour shifts without any breaks because it's "too busy for me to have food". Only way you can climb the ladder is if you become friends with the regional manager, no matter how good you are at your job.

Get more staff, respect the rights that your staff have and realise that managers are the ones who are paid to deal with these things, not supposedly part time workers.

Awful employer and corrupt HR department

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are really desperate and can't find anything else, it will do. You can meet some really amazing people. If you join the right circles or know the right people you can make it to the top with ease.

Cons

Culture and values are things this company will talk about a lot for marketing purposes. You'll be a fool to believe them.

Carphone Warehouse Photos