Carphone Warehouse Reviews

93 reviews filtered by
2.4
Carphone Warehouse Deputy Group CEO Andrew Harrison
Andrew Harrison

Pros
  • Flexible hours for those who need it (in 6 reviews)

• Good discount which now applies to Best Buy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Life at Carphone Head Office in North Acton was always incredible fast paced and hectic (in 5 reviews)

• Overall the working environment is now quite toxic and I'm glad I'm leaving what's fast become a sinking ship (in 4 reviews)

1. Carphone Warehouse London Head Office

I worked at Carphone Warehouse

Pros

Fast moving and exciting environment, lots of opportunities

Cons

frequent changes of business strategy

2. Hard work but fun

Current Contractor - Customer Consultant in Essex, MD
    Current Contractor - Customer Consultant in Essex, MD

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice friendly environment. Good pay, bonuses and rewards. No management bullies. Friendly and helpful colleagues. In general it's a calm job.

Cons

The stress of pinpoint and targets. Not a lot of communication from the management to store and irregular working hours. Lack of chairs.

Advice to Management

Try and get more involved in store.

3. Gained a vast amount of experience and knowledge

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Team, fun, training, phones and tablets to play with, discounts

Cons

Pay didn't reflect work I put in, long hours, no thanks

Advice to Management

If you want the best people you should increase pay. Commission was better than bonus structure.

Carphone Warehouse Response

Apr 7, 2015Digital Engagement Lead

Thank you for the review. Your feedback is hugely valuable in ensuring we constantly improve ourselves.

It's great to read that you enjoyed the technology used in store: we're an evolving company
    ... More

5. Over worked, poor recognition, contradicting bonus scheme, "sit in the back" leadership.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quick progression to Assistant or Branch Manager.
    Possible to earn some good money if your in the right store and location for a part-timer
    Good benefits

Cons

No opportunities to develop outside of a store.
    Bonus scheme of store staff contradicts the bonus scheme of an Regional and senior management, and offer little support. It is possible that a car charger earns a member of store staff the same bonus as a contract which takes up more time and effort in completing.

45 hours per week with a basic salary that does not meet that of competitors.
    Over time becomes compulsory and expected rather than a choice, and if you are full time and work overtime you get no extra pay, no recognition, and you won't get your time back.

You are a very lucky staff member of you have a break, I myself have gone 10 or more hours without a break, drink or food. In some stores the staff budget is that tight there can be just two of you all day every day, often causing store closures due to sickness or yet again no breaks, resulting in poor customer service or even depression and anxiety.

Assistant Managers or second in command members are taken for granted sometimes with no recognition for good work and with a salary dramatically less than a Branch Manager whilst the Branch managers has an easy ride sitting in the back.

Forced to attach any form of product or service possible to a sale, often causing staff to mis-sell, and breach regulations, i.e. by incentivising insurance

PIN POINT IS A GREAT SALES ASSISTIVE TOOL BUT! it is forced down your neck, managed more than your actual sales figures, unreliable, and can cause loss of your job!

Don't even get me started on there HR department!! Good luck in getting paid!...properly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, don't praise a fantastic new bonus scheme when senior and regional managers bonus scheme contradicts it, there is no care in the world to the individual who actually wants to earn a lot of GSB (Gross Sales Bonus).

Either raise salaries of Assistant Managers in bigger, higher footfall stores. The least you could do is pay over time or at-least recognise it.

Your staff turn over this year is going to be high.

The way managers treat Geek Squad agents is actually disgusting.

Make working for Carphone a career not just a job, create opportunites outside of stores nationwide.

Stop Seconding EVERYONE

Carphone Warehouse Response

Apr 17, 2015copywriter

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We take these comments very seriously and strive to resolve all issues brought up by our employees.

We’re constantly striving to be a company that
    ... More

Currently a branch manager inside SIS (Carphone in currys)r. Expanded too quickly.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge company. Decent benefits like 200pounds when you have a child or get married. Discounts on O2 and EE.

Cons

Hr too small
    Salary poor
    Poor treat,net of staff ex not paid correctly month on month

Advice to Management

A lot of managers and staff have left recently due to poor hr management. Especially from people solutions team. I will be one of those leavers soon too.

Great Company, Great Team, Easy and Enjoyable Job.

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Decent basic wage.
    - Great bonus, potential of £400 - £500 per month in the right store.
    - Brilliant staff discounts
    - Always get full time hours even though only on a 22 hour contract
    - Great atmosphere to work in.
    - Easy to sell as we're always cheaper than the networks.
    - Massive range of other good quality products and services, making crosselling easy.
    - Very motivated management.
    - Loads of oppurtunities for progression.
    - Get to work with the latest technology.
    - Working in a big busy store means you're always occupied, not bored.
    - Majoirty of customers are nice and happy, making serving them easy.
    - New tablets make selling on the shop floor very easy.
    - Always lots of stock so you rarely have to dissapoint a customer with something being out of stock.
    - When it's going well and the store is hitting target it's a great place to work.

Cons

- Tend to work a lot of weekends.
    - Very old computer system, but I find it very easy to use.
    - High pressure on selling insurance products.
    - In a busy store you are on your feet most of the time, but you get used to it.
    - Big busy stores are managed well, but often the smaller stores are not.
    - Lots of back office tasks to do, banking, audits, stock takes, ect.
    - Sometimes the store is very understaffed or very overstaffed.
    - Getting things sorted when they go wrong with HR isn't always easy (wages, holdiays ect.).

Advice to Management

Management in the store I work in is brilliant and cannot be faulted but a lot of the smaller stores have either no manager or very inconsistent managers, a lot of those who have been with the company a long time are stuck in their old ways and probably need to change.

8. All about who you know

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse (More than 5 years)

Pros

East to hit target in big stores
    Discounts on staff purchases
    Birthday holiday

Cons

Targets not divided up amongst region properly. Makes it easy for big branches to hit, but impossible for smaller stores to hit target.
    No consistency (still) throughout stores when it comes to customer service, sales processes, everything really!
    Too much time wasted in doing pointless tasks, especially for managers, takes away time that could be spent making sales.
    Very high pressure to sell insurance policies.
    Told by regional managers to do anything it takes to get a sale, even if it's not by the book.
    A lot of dodgy goings in in the company will get swept under the carpet if made by people who are friendly with RGMs.
    Feels like big bosses don't want to pay out bonuses (why even offer them if this is the case?)
    Too big a gap between good stores and bad stores
    Company isn't the same place it was when I first joined 5 years ago, bring back the old ways and you'll have happier staff and better sales reports.
    Expected to bein group whatsapp 24/7, even if off on holiday to stay up to date with goings on in store, even if only part time staff. Impossible to switch off from job.
    Not enough SOH to properly rota enough staff. Too many times smaller stores are ran in one member of staff ALL day (illegal?!)
    Break policy isn't implemented at all ,expected to work 10 hour shift without any breaks.

Advice to Management

Bring back Charles Dunstone, listen to what employees on the front line actually want - they're the ones making the money! Get rid of PIE. Train IT staff more.

9. A great company to work for.(In my opinion)

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Dumfries, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Dumfries, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues in store are genuinely nice people.
    Some customers are a genuine pleasure to serve.
    Great pay structure.
    Brilliant health insurance structures in place.
    I look forward to going to work in the morning.

Cons

Some customers can be awful, (like any retail job I suppose)
    Can be a long, irritating process to get system issues fixed when dealing with IT.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to fix WCSS issues (e.g) - Giving an automatic 7 if someone mispells during feedback text. It can feel like management don't want us to earn bonus sometimes. Besides that, I'm loving my job as a consultant.

Disgraceful

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours (sometimes) consultants are always very nice and supportive
    Get a months holiday so you can get away from the place

Cons

Head office have no idea how to manage
    Payroll haven't submitted my time card from years ago, never informed me of this

They really do not care if they put there staff a risk by having all these expensive device demos out on display for the crooks to steal

Make you stand up all day even if you have back problems, just get told 'it's what the company want'

The door has to be kept open to lure the customer in EVEN in the middle of winter, having the heater on is pointless as we get told to stay at the front of the shop by the door to greet them as they walk in.

No proper support they make you feel dispensable. I've given them chance after chance with all their BS shoddy ideas. The pinpoint devices that freeze, the 'we match your network UNLESS they give you a special deal...(rme) rubbish.

At the end of the day it's not a place you aspire to be

I have a suspicion that Carphone have there media department, writing good reviews on here to make themselves look better.

Stay well clear!

11. Great company if your really good at sales

Former Employee - Business Development in Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work hard play hard attitude.
    If your good at sales you can earn really good money for retail.
    Good other rewards such as incentives, medical, monthly beer bust money which encourages you to go out socially with your team.
    Average commission paid when on holiday.
    Good progression opportunities
    Great sales training

Cons

Not the place to be if your not sales / customer service motivated as the basic was poor but it has improved since I left.
    You will feel the sales pressure if your not a natural sales person
    Career progression good to management or diagonally. After that there is only so far you can go and if your a good sales person in many stores you'll earn more as a manager than a sales person

Advice to Management

Be nice to your team!! Most manager are great but it can really depend who your manager is.

Carphone Warehouse Photos