Carphone Warehouse

Carphone Warehouse Group CEO Andrew Harrison

Andrew Harrison

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

test technician

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit was easy going work, good friendly environment

Constarget revenue job, competition between other ERC centre

Advice to Senior Managementno need because ERC has been closed down.

A company once focused on great service now reduced to chasing volume targets to appease the city and networks.

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

Prosamazing team, great products and lively customers!

Consworking towards volume targets which carry weighted financial rewards which in some cases would not always benefit the customer. An assisted selling tool which has at least 6 steps too many and over complicates each transaction, and to be honest most consultants know which deal they are going to end up with anyway. Hard core managing of employees that miss some of the assisted selling tool steps is almost farcical!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease re assess the usefulness of pinpoint, it just needs to be faster and slicker and less patronising to customers and staff alike.
    Also, please remember and acknowledge the masses of goodwill and genuine concern from long serving employees who fear we are losing our core values, 5 fundamentals anyone?

Getting Worse

Customer Consultant (Current Employee)
    Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

ProsGood for developing interpersonal skills

ConsPinpoint - Poorly implemented buggy piece of software which is counter productive as it wastes time
    New Bonus structure - Clearly in place to ensure that Bonus payments are minimised and the mad rush to the FTSE 100 is completed.
    Management - RGM Up do not understand store's views on the company when they should be listening as we're on the front line with our customers, management can not make a decision that lasts over 18 months
    Targets are very high and unreasonable, leading to questionable sales methodologies
    Staff turnover is higher with an influx of temporary part time workers
    Company is going backwards in terms of how they treat their staff and I am so happy I am getting off the sinking ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making poor, misinformed decisions and listen to stores more closely. Scrap pin point and stop threatening dismissal for not using it, as it is counter productive, does not save time and is poorly implemented.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Madness. Good, bad? You decide.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, social gatherings, new technology

ConsDisorganised at the top, lack of clarity from leadership, impossible to be entrepreneurial, constant changes to scope

Advice to Senior ManagementWork out what you want to do, tell your staff clearly and let us do what we are paid for

Tough working environment that can be rewarding at times

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
    Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

ProsGet to help with customers connected world.
    Good bonus structure when stores are performing well
    Adapts and changes constantly with the market

Consconstantly changing the goal posts and poor communication between HQ and Stores
    Heavy pressure from management across all areas.
    0 work life balance, takes up 100% of your time

The customer DOES NOT count. Managers play with your lives and the company gives 0% work satisfaction.

London, England (UK)

ProsDiscounts on a few contract, meeting like minded people. That's really about it to be honest...

ConsSalary poor for what we do and deal with on a daily basis, very old computers to work with, poor technology being used by the company who sells the latest phones and tablets, customers come last, targets first. No chairs to sit on. And finally...pinpoint; the biggest waste of time this planet has ever seen. We stand for 9 hours a day. We get paid peanuts. We have so many targets to meet, and we allow our bonuses to be controlled by those who have no problem with the store service but issues with the network. Yes i am talking about "World Class Service Score". As for targets, they don't allow us to give the customer what they NEED, but rather what WE NEED THEM to HAVE in order for us to hit target. Like Geek Squad - we force it on them telling them to take 2 weeks free. They then forget to cancel it and come and blame us. Oh and if anyone wants to cancel their contract - forget it! The company minuses it from the stores margin. What does this mean? STORES MAKE UP LIES SO CUSTOMERS GO TO ANOTHER STORE. We say "No manager" or any old crap so they go to the next nearest store.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the person who came up with 'Pinpoint' - it doesn't help the customer or us. It wastes time - time that YOU don't even allow us to have. Not all customers are old ladies who will benefit from finding out exactly how much data they 'might' use to the MB. Or tapping what they use their phone for. Waste of millions of pounds, sorry. Instead why not invest in a more updated P.O.S system like the other mobile phone retailers and update the look of store interiors? And give us and customers comfortable chairs? Oh and paying us more for all we deal with daily might help.

Fun but Ripping Off Customers!!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
    Leeds, England (UK)

ProsThe branch I worked in was pretty chilled out and fun due to the great staff I worked with (not including the management)

ConsThe Assistant Manager and Manager were both dodgy, as long as we got them sales they loved us even if it meant ripping off customers which they had indirectly shown they were happy with.

As soon as negative feedback came back on to the branch, the blame would go straight onto the staff members and the management would turn into your enemy, even if it was them pushing you to rip off customers. The company's ethics were appalling as the management would push you indirectly to rip off customers and to "Slam" on products that the customers do not want.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your customer service skills, stop pushing your staff to rip off customers even if it is indirectly!

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Leicester, England (UK)

ProsGood pay, very low workload, relaxed work environment

ConsDifficult getting sales. Contract paper work is very heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Pulling at straws!

ProsStaff discount
    Great collegues
    Theres nothing else that will keep me in this job for much longer!

ConsStarted 5 years ago and they still havnt made the changes that they said they would to improve operational efficiency, during my 'training'.

They do not care about their employees, just profits.

They invest millions on pinpoint tablets, put them in the stores, without a correct system in place to ensure staff are trained, then threaten disciplinary action if not used. The tablets have been in place awhile now and even some managers are confused on the process cpw want them to follow in order to complete the tablet transactions successfully

Certain 'manager's' are allowed to get away with discriminatory behaviour if they suck up to the area manager, and if they hit the figures - by what ever 'means' necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that the training has not improved in the past 5+ years
    Make sure there is no bias behaviour allowing dodgy activity from manager's
    Stop treating your staff like crap and understand that once the hard working excellent sales staff will leave and you will be left with inadequate staff!

Very good

Team Manager (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Proslearning opportunites, building up network

ConsCareer developing, no flexibility of working hours.

Worked for Carphone Warehouse? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Carphone Warehouse reviews and ratings in United Kingdom — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Carphone Warehouse CEO Andrew Harrison. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Carphone Warehouse employees.