Carphone Warehouse Reviews

2.2
Carphone Warehouse Deputy Group CEO Andrew Harrison
Andrew Harrison

1. Gained a vast amount of experience and knowledge

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Team, fun, training, phones and tablets to play with, discounts

Cons

Pay didn't reflect work I put in, long hours, no thanks

If you want the best people you should increase pay. Commission was better than bonus structure.

Currently a branch manager inside SIS (Carphone in currys)r. Expanded too quickly.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge company. Decent benefits like 200pounds when you have a child or get married. Discounts on O2 and EE.

Cons

Hr too small
    Salary poor
    Poor treat,net of staff ex not paid correctly month on month

A lot of managers and staff have left recently due to poor hr management. Especially from people solutions team. I will be one of those leavers soon too.

3. Great Company, Great Team, Easy and Enjoyable Job.

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Decent basic wage.
    - Great bonus, potential of £400 - £500 per month in the right store.
    - Brilliant staff discounts
    - Always get full time hours even though only on a 22 hour contract
    - Great atmosphere to work in.
    - Easy to sell as we're always cheaper than the networks.
    - Massive range of other good quality products and services, making crosselling easy.
    - Very motivated management.
    - Loads of oppurtunities for progression.
    - Get to work with the latest technology.
    - Working in a big busy store means you're always occupied, not bored.
    - Majoirty of customers are nice and happy, making serving them easy.
    - New tablets make selling on the shop floor very easy.
    - Always lots of stock so you rarely have to dissapoint a customer with something being out of stock.
    - When it's going well and the store is hitting target it's a great place to work.

Cons

- Tend to work a lot of weekends.
    - Very old computer system, but I find it very easy to use.
    - High pressure on selling insurance products.
    - In a busy store you are on your feet most of the time, but you get used to it.
    - Big busy stores are managed well, but often the smaller stores are not.
    - Lots of back office tasks to do, banking, audits, stock takes, ect.
    - Sometimes the store is very understaffed or very overstaffed.
    - Getting things sorted when they go wrong with HR isn't always easy (wages, holdiays ect.).

Management in the store I work in is brilliant and cannot be faulted but a lot of the smaller stores have either no manager or very inconsistent managers, a lot of those who have been with the company a long time are stuck in their old ways and probably need to change.

5. All about who you know

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse (more than 5 years)

Pros

East to hit target in big stores
    Discounts on staff purchases
    Birthday holiday

Cons

Targets not divided up amongst region properly. Makes it easy for big branches to hit, but impossible for smaller stores to hit target.
    No consistency (still) throughout stores when it comes to customer service, sales processes, everything really!
    Too much time wasted in doing pointless tasks, especially for managers, takes away time that could be spent making sales.
    Very high pressure to sell insurance policies.
    Told by regional managers to do anything it takes to get a sale, even if it's not by the book.
    A lot of dodgy goings in in the company will get swept under the carpet if made by people who are friendly with RGMs.
    Feels like big bosses don't want to pay out bonuses (why even offer them if this is the case?)
    Too big a gap between good stores and bad stores
    Company isn't the same place it was when I first joined 5 years ago, bring back the old ways and you'll have happier staff and better sales reports.
    Expected to bein group whatsapp 24/7, even if off on holiday to stay up to date with goings on in store, even if only part time staff. Impossible to switch off from job.
    Not enough SOH to properly rota enough staff. Too many times smaller stores are ran in one member of staff ALL day (illegal?!)
    Break policy isn't implemented at all ,expected to work 10 hour shift without any breaks.

Bring back Charles Dunstone, listen to what employees on the front line actually want - they're the ones making the money! Get rid of PIE. Train IT staff more.

6. A great company to work for.(In my opinion)

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Dumfries, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Dumfries, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Colleagues in store are genuinely nice people.
    Some customers are a genuine pleasure to serve.
    Great pay structure.
    Brilliant health insurance structures in place.
    I look forward to going to work in the morning.

Cons

Some customers can be awful, (like any retail job I suppose)
    Can be a long, irritating process to get system issues fixed when dealing with IT.

Make it easier to fix WCSS issues (e.g) - Giving an automatic 7 if someone mispells during feedback text. It can feel like management don't want us to earn bonus sometimes. Besides that, I'm loving my job as a consultant.

Disgraceful

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours (sometimes) consultants are always very nice and supportive
    Get a months holiday so you can get away from the place

Cons

Head office have no idea how to manage
    Payroll haven't submitted my time card from years ago, never informed me of this

They really do not care if they put there staff a risk by having all these expensive device demos out on display for the crooks to steal

Make you stand up all day even if you have back problems, just get told 'it's what the company want'

The door has to be kept open to lure the customer in EVEN in the middle of winter, having the heater on is pointless as we get told to stay at the front of the shop by the door to greet them as they walk in.

No proper support they make you feel dispensable. I've given them chance after chance with all their BS shoddy ideas. The pinpoint devices that freeze, the 'we match your network UNLESS they give you a special deal...(rme) rubbish.

At the end of the day it's not a place you aspire to be

I have a suspicion that Carphone have there media department, writing good reviews on here to make themselves look better.

Stay well clear!

8. Great company if your really good at sales

Former Employee - Business Development in Brighton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development in Brighton, England (UK)

I worked at Carphone Warehouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work hard play hard attitude.
    If your good at sales you can earn really good money for retail.
    Good other rewards such as incentives, medical, monthly beer bust money which encourages you to go out socially with your team.
    Average commission paid when on holiday.
    Good progression opportunities
    Great sales training

Cons

Not the place to be if your not sales / customer service motivated as the basic was poor but it has improved since I left.
    You will feel the sales pressure if your not a natural sales person
    Career progression good to management or diagonally. After that there is only so far you can go and if your a good sales person in many stores you'll earn more as a manager than a sales person

Be nice to your team!! Most manager are great but it can really depend who your manager is.

9. Totally disregard for exployees

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Carphone Warehouse

Pros

its a good wage and the hours are flexible especially if you have other commitments. its also a constant changing environment.

Cons

Let's just say it's all about who you know, if you want to climb the career ladder you have no chance unless you're close to someone in a higher position than you.

The majority of the men I've met in the job are completely disrespectful and sexist, my ex manager once tried to get me to send him a dirty picture and would continually text me until I replied. However, he still works there. Such a joke. They employ far too many men, I was one woman in a store of 12 male employees.

I suffered constant sexual harassment from the manager and nothing ever came of it. There was no disciplinary actions taken against him. It got to the point I didn't even want to show up for work, in the end I left.

Maybe look into who you're REALLY employing. And really look into the turnover of staff to see if someone is being fairly let go after the probation period.

Also perhaps look at the store, it's location, the type of customers coming in. Then tailor the targets on that, instead of the size of the shop...

Awful

I worked at Carphone Warehouse (less than a year)

Pros

Pay rise after probation period.
    Commission after 4 months of receiving log in.

Cons

Terrible organisation. Worked there for almost 3 months, did not receive my log in details, did not get paid and still fighting for the money I'm owed. They only care about the sales you make, do not treat you like a person unless you meet the target. Severe lack of training before you commence the job.

HR needs a complete overhaul, they are currently useless beyond comprehension. Managers need closer evaluation, mine needed far more experience and knowledge of the job but more importantly; how to manage and motivate a small group of workers.

11. Company has changed even before merger

Current Employee - Employee in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Carphone Warehouse (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people (mostly) on front line
    With the right rgm it is a great place to work. With the wrong one it is not.
    Access to latest technology
    Progression once you are liked is pretty easy
    Company still has, I believe a great reputation for customers
    The chance to interact with on the whole amazing customers

Cons

pay hasn't really improved as it should have
    Unethical selling and straight up dodginess gets swept under the carpet as long as the right figures are produced, even if they aren't actually making the company any money.
    Tactics in pay to manage people out of the business which were taught to me are now starting to be used on most managers
    Targets increased but still referred to as easy by higher management
    Constantly moving goalposts is a massive understatement
    World class service text backs system massively flawed with appeals process which pressures one person to try and save everyone's bonus

look at what made is great 5 years ago and let's get back to that. Make Charles read these reviews. I believe he has great integrity and the company still flies because of the (now faded) link to him. Stop promoting bullying rgms straight into higher roles where all they do is visit stores and moan instead of listening to the staff and making changes. Sort our initial training course, new employees chucked in at deep end and is big stores they are farmed our to other stores so they don't mess up the big stores figures. Get rid of them and us mentality

One team