Carr Business Systems Reviews

18 reviews filtered by
2.4
David Herbine

Great Management-Great Company

I have been working at Carr Business Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This Company is for positive change, striving for excellent customer service and doing whatever is necessary to make any needed improvements. I enjoy working here and see a lot of good changes and I hope in the future, Senior Management could please come up with a bonus for the Managers.

Cons

The current employees voicing negative concerns online. Go to management and tell them your concerns. They want to be there for you....and if your still unhappy then you have choices. You are in charge of your future......

Keep strong, united and continue with the changes that keep us growing.

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Carr Business Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The commissions can be fantastic, and you spend a lot of time outside, meeting clients and prospects.

Cons

-Geographic territories, carved out by zip codes. It doesn't matter if most of a zip code is residential, or if the office buildings were empty after Hurricane Sandy. One rep, one zip code. Take it or leave it.

-Management is disconnected from the sales team.

-You're technically Xerox, but not really. You're competing with them. If you walk into an office and see anything Xerox, turn around a walk out. You won't be able to touch it.

-They started slashing commission rates when I left.

-The office culture, or lack thereof.

-High management turnover, not much senior staff

Liven the place up a bit. One of you could tell a joke. If you're not funny, maybe you can learn a magic trick.

Average Place to Earn Outside B2B Sales Experience. Otherwise, A Stepping Stone To A More Fruitful Career

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Carr Business Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- For a starting outside sales rep with no prior experience, they technically pay one of the highest starting salaries in the industry at $40K (Working with the manufacturer directly or with an independent, 3rd party vendor, you would usually start at $30-$35K). The benefits, 401K program, etc. for a starting sales position is not bad as well.

- If you're young and fresh out of college, it's a nice, social atmosphere (especially in the NYC office, not so much in the LI sales office), where you can get your feet wet with other people new to sales. I made many strong friendships while I worked as a commercial rep in the city office, and will miss my former coworkers dearly as I progress through my career.

- Any organization with the Xerox name will get your resume noticed for future career opportunities that are more lucrative (Xerox has historically associated with its strong sales training program).

- Certain sales opportunities, if you're savvy enough and know what you're doing, can net you decent commission income (usually new customers with no prior business with Carr).

Cons

There's a lot, hence the reason for only giving Carr 2 stars. Here's the list:

- The company's commission structure compared to similar office technology organizations is awful. The organization makes changes to the comp plan at the start of every year (sometimes radical), often to the detriment of the sales person, who is trying to make an honest living off a $40K+ plus salary. In many situations (especially in certain commercial accounts), there is almost no point in upgrading a current account from a salesperson's perspective, since the commission levels are so low (Ex. A prior rep screwing up a deal that could have been from 3-5 years ago where there is no profit for Carr or for the current salesperson).

- Unlike many other copier/office technology organizations, Carr assigns not one, but two quotas that you have to hit in order to achieve President's Club (Equipment/Managed Print). While it is understandable that there is an emphasis on Managed Print Services (much higher income for the organization per deal), unless if you are working certain major accounts, most organizations have started to move away from using HP and other types of desktop printers, as they see the high cost of purchasing print cartridge toner compared to copier toner received from a lease.

- Equipment Training on the copier side of things is OK... however, training in relation to document management solutions is a bit lacking, and could use some retooling.

- Uneven territory division, especially in the NYC office (not sure about the LI office) for commercial reps. Reps under certain managers might have their own, protected territories with lots of current accounts and larger opportunities to work with, while other reps like myself under another manager were given unprotected, or "shared territories," so WATCH OUT! MAKE SURE YOU ASK ABOUT THIS IF OFFERED THE POSITION!!!! Some reps might work extremely hard and may not even hit 50% of their yearly quota because of their assignment, while another rep might go over 100% of their quota while putting in much less work if they have a stacked territory.

- It's not as prevalent as it used to be when I started with Carr, but favoritism is still definitely noticeable in certain situations (minorities, physically attractive women, etc.) Many of Carr's current management are ex-Ricoh/Ikon employees, and there is a certain Long Island Italian Boys Club mentality to the organization...just something to be mindful of.

- For a company that prides itself on having "the resources of a Fortune 500 company, but feel of the local copier vendor," there is an unnecessary amount of bureaucracy and administrative issues that a salesperson at Carr has to navigate on a daily basis. In many cases, I had to back off potentially lucrative sales opportunities because they were Xerox Direct or Xerox 3rd party sales agent accounts, which we were not allowed to compete with. If there is an account in your territory that has it's corporate office outside of your area, you won't be able to pursue that either. This is not an issue at most local vendors. Also, the delivery and setup process for new machines into an account is a mess.

- If you're lucky enough to sell certain larger production equipment, you only get a 50/50 split on the revenue between you and the production specialist, which can create a potential conflict of interest in regards to selling the proper product for the prospect or client. For Wide Format machines, you only get 30% (WF rep gets 70%).

- Working for Carr is pretty much like working for Xerox directly product wise, so if a current or potential client is really looking for a more price-sensitive product (i.e. Sharp, Toshiba, Kyocera), it's harder to deliver a strong value proposition and price your product accordingly without having to drop your commission levels significantly to just get the deal.

- Carr sells Konica Minolta machines also, but the machines are not priced competitively, so most sales reps don't sell them that much.

- For some unknown and what I think is an extremely short-sighted reason, the organization does not want to hire a reputation management firm, or spend the funds to change the company's name. This goes back to a major lawsuit about 6 years ago, when a rogue salesperson falsified lease documents to many of his clients, resulting in major negative press on Long Island, and the former CEO of the firm resigning. As a rep, I encountered numerous situations in which I would call former Carr accounts, and people tell me how former reps of the organization ripped them off, gave them poor customer service, etc. Just saying the Carr name will get you hung up in certain situations, and I had lost a large deal simply because of the negative connotations associated with Carr when doing a simple Google search, just as an example. The company will tell you that the Carr name still has a strong, positive brand value to it, but in reality this is definitely not the case.

- For the above listed reasons, turnover is still extremely high within the organization

If you ask a lot of former Carr employees who used to work for the company a few years back, they mentioned that once Global Imaging Systems (the parent company of Carr) was bought by Xerox, things went downhill. I think of the company as a dinosaur on the verge of being extinct within 10-15 years... there is a reason why Dr. Print, Atlantic, LDI and some of the other localized vendors are faring much better than Carr sales-wise.

Instead of hiring many sales reps and bunching them up into different territories, spend more time during the hiring process to hire more quality reps, without them having to canvass the same accounts over and over again. Make the comp plan more competitive in terms of upgrading current accounts, and just selling equipment in general. Changing the comp plan every year to squeeze out every dollar from the rep is disingenuous.

Unless significant changes happen (which is highly unlikely), I don't see Carr changing for the better going forward.

The definition of a stepping stone sales job

Current Employee - Account Executive in Suffolk, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Suffolk, VA

I have been working at Carr Business Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I work from 9-5 and collect a pay check at least. Outside of having a job which is what this is it's a waste of time. I'm using this place to get sales experience so I can start a career at a company that actually knows what's important. It's basically a race between how many customers we lose vs how many co workers leave or quit to go work for competitors. Guess this isn't soo much a pro.

Cons

Zero direction from management, training
    Was child like, comp plan is convoluted. The managers don't seem to care about anything other than making them selves money which is all I hear them talk about. The atmosphere is filled with senior reps saying how good the company used to be back in the day and complain about all the changes that lead them to losing there customers come upgrade time. My current manager left years ago and came back and you would think he hates his life. Hard to be motivated and enjoy working when everyone here hates their job.

Would be nice to see anyone of the managers or leaders of the company actually practice what they preach. The amount of complaining in the office about leadership and the service department makes me feel like I'm on Jerry Springer talk show. Favoritism is way too prevalent and is detrimental to us newer reps trying to prove our selves. Once I get to my one year mark I will quit and be one of many employees leaving because they don't see a future with this company esp with a poor base salary of 40k a year.

You will be broke. Brother can you spare a dime?

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Carr Business Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a first level sales job if you are just out of college. Get your sales experience and leave after the first year

Cons

Odds are you won't make any money. Yes an occasional sales rep hits the jackpot and lands a great sale, but that's like hitting the lottery- most people don't. You will be competing with other companies over price to place copiers in accounts. 99% of the time- the lowest price wins. As a sales rep, you are paid a percentage of the sales profit on the unit-which will be less than a hundred dollars per sale on average. Combine that with a 40,000 a year base salary and you're making maybe 45,000 a year. Great if someone else is paying your bills.
    Carr's contracts department is not the friendliest and the service department has a horrible record for the most part. You will not be upgrading majority of your current customers and you will get the blame for not keeping track of them and reviewing their accounts.
    The company is not doing well financially, even though they have nice vacations for President's club- don't fall for it.
    The ride day is a joke- once you are hired you'll find out the turnover rate is horrendous.
    Most reps are looking to get out.
    Finally the company is under some sort of probation. Everyone has to enter all of their appointments and activities twice in outlook and the company tracking software. It's a nightmare that takes up your prospecting time. Each week you have to have 10 appointments- which is just about impossible.

Join the sales floor and make 200 phone calls a week and see how many appointments you get.

Started out well, went downhill quickly. Thrilled to be employed elsewhere. Leaving was the biggest career boost for me.

Former Employee - Administrative in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in Melville, NY

I worked at Carr Business Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro I can offer is i was hired after a long time away from full time work.

Cons

Carr has a habit of hiring people who are desperate for work. Many of my coworkers were hired after the bottom dropped out of the mortgage industry. That is the way they hire. Desperate people (myself included) who were willing to settle for terrible salaries because they were lied to and told there was great opportunity for salary advancement once you proved yourself. Then they didn't award raises to most (myself not included) for three years because they kept saying the business was not doing well.

Terrible morale amongst the staff. High turnover which I noticed the very moment I was hired. In the beginning of my employment I often thought to myself what a terrible company this must be. I never saw such a revolving door when it came to hires and people leaving.

Terrible upper level management. The decimation of the contracts department was painful. Senior and Mid level management humiliated. The contracts department still has not recovered. I am gratified to see that two years after I resigned they still have not been able to fill my position adequately. Definitely a case of not knowing what you had. Was recently told by two current employees how much I am still missed. Hear awful things about the contracts department. Not responding to customers or coworkers, incompetent and nasty are three things I have heard recently from current customers and coworkers- both current and former employees, all while they have three times the number of people in the department than was there a couple of years ago.

Almost everybody I would characterize as a good employee has either left or been fired, leaving precious few who are competent.

Questionable tactics used with regards to pregnant employees.

Favoritism was rampant.

Low pay and pathetic raises, if they are even awarded.

Training was sad to nonexistent.

Ridiculous exit interview. No actual desire to hear what was causing the huge turnover and make things better.

Get rid of most of the senior management. Useless for the most part. Stop hiring more senior management at the expense of people who actually do the work.

The one positive review is a Joke

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Carr Business Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None, and that is being generous

Cons

If you like working for a lowlife that thinks motivating employees is telling the how EBITA is going up while you comp is going down and every short cut and cost cut is being put in place to compensate for poor sales and leadership than this is the place for you.

In the interview ask what the turnover is like,
    Sad

Start at the top, rebuild

Belligerent and Incompetent and a waste of time and effort.

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Carr Business Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only part would be the training you get dealing with a myriad of problems from admin to management which makes any other job you get feel like a vacation (SERIOUSLY)

Cons

The entire structure has no direction, rewards unethical behavior and supports and covers up incompetent management. There is absolutely no sense of purpose to anything a sales representative can do as often admin and management collude to hinder your sales process in order to get credit off of your hard work. The sales representatives are expected to do everything while admin and middle management twiddle their thumbs and collect checks. In my time at the company I saw 10 representatives leave after they have had enough of the disrespect and lack of appreciation for their work. Awards are given out on a brown nose basis, so even if you grit your teeth and work hard, you will see the recognition you earned go to a sales representative who did half your work and was friends with incompetent management. If you go in on a ride day, do not be fooled. It's a screen of positivity that once hired (and they really hire anybody) soon fades away into a dishonest, dis functional, and dim office of disrespect and utter incompetence. Trust me, this is not some disgruntled rep who was fired. I tried my hardest to stay and work hard, but everytime I was met with poorer and poorer management and worse and worse administration.

FYI before you choose this company, look up the lawsuit that is still in process from 2011. It puts what I'm saying into context.

Fire some of the ridiculous middle management staff and actually establish a comfortable and ethical work environment. You can't hope to advance the brand name of the company if representatives can't even take pride in the work that they do. Also screen some of the sales staff recently they have hired the strangest staff.

Stay far, far away.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Melville, NY

I worked at Carr Business Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Stepping stone towards better job.

Cons

I was very excited to start a career in sales with Carr Xerox, little did I know it would be one of the worst experiences of my life. Training is a joke - you are taught to memorize ridiculous scripts that make you sound more like a robot than an educated individual. You are not taught about selling, rather they focus on the "Carr 360 approach" which would make most clients sitting through a presentation turned off. Get to the point. Expect to work 8am latest to at least 6pm everyday which is definitely not portrayed when going through the hiring process. Work life balance expectation non existent. New management was awful - some "teams" have much more flexibility than others. In my case, I was watched like a hawk making me feel as though I was incompetent to do my own work in my own creative way. Ridiculous expectations with cold calls on the phone even when you are doing your job (100+ a week on top of all the other work the job entails). Speaking of work, as for paperwork for potential deals which common sense would say is a big part of the job - don't do it between 9am and 4pm. You are forced to do important and necessary paperwork on your own time after hours. There is no sense of trust in this facility and any time help was needed you were usually just brushed off and told to focus on other things when in fact the issue at hand was important. Highly unethical behavior was also demonstrated here on many instances which made me feel very uncomfortable in the workplace itself. When weather was bad it didn't matter - "on the road no matter what mentality." Safety of employees not really a concern. Oh, and do not post your resume on Careerbuilder or you will be questioned by management. I wouldn't recommend this place to an enemy. Advice: if you are looking to get into sales go somewhere else. If you are set on Copiers there are plenty of other companies out there.

Very defective company - New Grads and Professionals shouldn't waste time

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Carr Business Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I suppose the most prudent thing to start with is the length of time I was employed by CARR. I worked as an Account Executive at the Manhattan office for close to five months, at which point I witnessed an overabundance of managerial, cultural, and ethical problems. The company has been in business for quite some time, but is currently weathering a serious class action lawsuit as well as an executive and management overhaul. These factors (as well as others that I will discuss in the 'Cons' section) forced me to seek other job opportunities and ultimately leave this company.

In my opinion this company lacks any significant 'Pros,' and rather appeals to a workforce that is obsessed with earning quick money (and easily misguided to pursue that end through unethical actions and behaviors). One could argue that they offer the opportunity to sell Xerox products (which are already well branded). However, this acts as quite a substantial obstacle due to the premium price that Xerox products demand.

Cons

Since there are quite a few substantial issues with this company, I will address each of them individually:

Pay Structure: As an Account Executive, you are given a base salary of $30,000 / year plus commissions on every sale. Initially this sounds appealing, but after further understanding of just how the pay structure works, it becomes more and more evident that this is a very difficult company and industry to make an honest living in. Additionally, commissions are not based on the percentage of the overall sale, but rather a percentage of the "profit" you can add to the total sale. Essentially, this means that as an Account Executive you must add substantial amounts of money to the final proposal price to see a commission of the sale. With this in mind, "added value" is the true catalyst behind driving sales. However, while CARR may have a favorable response reputation, it fails miserably when trying to accurately diagnose and solve each respective problem. Something else to be aware of is the fact that the percentage of profit paid to the Account Executive lessens with return clients.

Training: This is something that CARR tries to market as a very effective 'pro.' However, the training (which is a five week course) is extremely repetitive and does not allow room for any personal creativity or success practices. CARR is obsessed with the "repeatable process" and quantity takes precedent over quality. Trainees are taught generic telephone and meeting scripts, and are supposed to trust that every objection/situation can be correctly handled through this system. In fact, trainers (which monitor personnel even after the training period) correct individuals who use their own intuition and skills to find success.

Management: CARR recently experienced a management overhaul due to unethical practices regarding how the company recorded and generated sales (http://business.highbeam.com/company-profiles/info/1157607/carr-business-systems-inc). The current President, David Herbine, seems to be the right man to right the ship, but has to change the entire culture of the company to do so.

Employee Retention: CARR has an abysmal employee retention percentage. During my five month stint at CARR, I witnessed fourteen people leave (abruptly - no one gave notice) for other job opportunities, and three people were terminated. This is quite a staggering number and speaks to CARR's cultural, ethical, and managerial problems. Employees are drawn to the company because of the promise of opportunity, but quickly discover that this company lacks enough opportunity to justify the employment commitment. The vast majority of the employees are extremely dissatisfied, and use CARR as a means for staying afloat while seeking more fruitful opportunities. Morale is extremely low, and people are constantly on watch not only for which people are leaving, but where they are going.

Sales Structure: The sales structure is quite problematic at CARR, especially when trying to push Xerox equipment. Since Xerox is a premium brand, it comes at a premium price - which makes sense. However, since CARR Account Executives must ADD unjustifiable dollars to the final sale to make a commission percentage, it is difficult to close the sale.

I hope this helps. I wrote this review not to satisfy personal feelings towards the company, but rather to warn college graduates and serious professionals from wasting their time. You do not learn much while at this company, and certainly do not get significant experience that can be used later in your career.

Changing the culture of a company cannot be accomplished with rhetoric that lacks implementation. There needs to be mutual trust between sales staff and upper management. Additionally, acknowledging the limitations of your current sales structure would not only help sales numbers grow, but would also increase employee morale.

Carr Business Systems Photos