Carrabba's Italian Grill

Be The First To
Add Photos

Carrabba's Italian Grill President Steve Shlemon

Steve Shlemon

Pros
  • Great atmosphere, great customers, and best of all great food(in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, ability to make a decent wage, and supplies good quality food which makes the job that much easier(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • if the restaurant is slow, it's tough to make money(in 5 reviews)

• The servers with seniority just leave stack of unsorted dishes and won't complete side work(in 5 reviews)

All around a really bad employer and company

Anonymous (Former Employee) Inverness, AL

ProsIs few really nice and helpful co-workers.

ConsHorrible to no training. Store poorly organized. Food quality so- so. Good teamwork when employees actually showed up. The managers were very absent from problems, they openly argued in the dining area and also at the bar on many occasions. Don't recommend working or eating there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Poorly managed

Server (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsBecause it is a seasonal area, when season hits (usually late November to April) there was consistency in the clientele. Good discount when you eat in your home restaurant. The staff is very friendly and you get paid every day.

ConsPoor management and treatment of employees. Working lunch shift is a waste of time because of the lack of business. Had more issues with kitchen mistakes or other uncontrollable factors. Also, the boca clientele knows what they can get away with and they take advantage. Failure to schedule in your availbility and requires you to get the shift covered even if it isnt in your availability.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other and get on a solid game plan so you can deliver clear direction to your staff. Lead by example.

Go Work here for a serving Job, Not for a career in management if you want to advance fast.

Server (Current Employee) Webster, TX

ProsOpen Honest, fun, Laid back workplace, with great Clientele , management, coworkers.

ConsNot enough A/C in the back of the house for the servers and prep-cooks during the summer Was a big problem at the location I worked at. Truthfully, the major problems I saw there were that management would not get paid nearly enough and that there was not a huge opportunity for advancement once you became a regular manager. NO matter how good you were. That might be different now since the Economy is getting better. Additionally the company was not investing in new technologies related to the POS and Ticket systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementFallow the Model that the former GP Daniel Costello used to manage his Webster Location and you cannot go anywhere but UP!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Definitely better than some food service jobs.

Car Side (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay if you're in a tipped position
    You'll eat plenty of pretty good food
    It's a fairly social culture
    Flexible Scheduling system

ConsObnoxious training procedures and tests
    Fairly low level of respect
    Goofy / borderline bizarre corporate level activity
    Food quality / overall concept have been sacrificed for cutting costs

Advice to Senior ManagementIn my experience, there were certain entrenched employees, individuals who had been with the restaurant for years that we're prone to acting like management, and manipulating the actual management. You must pay attention to those who may be poisoning the employee culture and correct those issues effectively.

One of the best things to ever happen to me!

Server/Bartender (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible Scheduling, half off employee food, twenty-five percent off blooming brands restaurants. If you are driven and outgoing you have the opportunity to advance very quickly. If you are trusted the company will let you work almost any position that you want to learn. If you work the average of 32 hours for 6 months after being there for a year you obtain a paid vacation. The company makes it very easy to relocate if want to also if you leave the company then it is easy to come back.

ConsDepending on position it makes it harder to get off at the last minute. It is a socially driven job meaning that if you are not sociable then you are less likely to advance in the company. Every location is different and you can not apply these pros or cons to every store. I have heard horror stories from some stores and praises from other stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate offices should try to ensure that their managers follow company policies more properly. Most managers and partners are appropriate but some of the managers sexually harass the employees and make inappropriate gestures.

Great place to make money and have fun while doing so

Server (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI love meeting new people and establishing "regular" guests within the restaurant. With the help of management, cooks, and those at the host stand, a server is very likely to be successful with a little effort. I remember many occasions where I felt my tips should have gone straight to the kitchen or those in management. They are always there for questions and understanding of first-time mistakes.

ConsAs far as running a business goes, I completely understand Increasing the amount of servers on the floor provided that each server can satisfy the needs of their tables, however there were a few times where a "two table section" did not satisfy my wallet. With time servers are rewarded more tables and trust. Carrabbas has recently began to serve lunch and I have personally handled up to five tables. There are always alternatives to the "two table section", but it takes time and the only thing to speed this up is becoming a better server.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough I have seen it a few times, reward driven, friendly, competitions within the workplace provide(d) motivation to the server and can really change attitudes after a long week of work. I realize showing up to work, offering great service, and coming home with a lot of tips is often satisfying, however providing an increase in contests and competitions makes the job that more fun.

Best food service job ever.

Server (Current Employee)

ProsMany employees have been at my restaurant for many years... and love it still.
    Food Quality is amazing.
    Most Clientele love the service and selection.

ConsSome favortism shown to specific employees, and some rules are only applicable to certain people at certain times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can be very unprofessional to other employees, and unprofessional in their position.

Fair company

Busser (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEasy enough. Standard restaurant work. Okay pay for a busser. Servers make the real money.

I did like the shared tips.

ConsAs I was the only English speaking busser, communication could be difficult at times between the other bussers.

Overall good company but wrong focus.

Server (Current Employee) Columbus, GA

ProsAlways left with cash because I was a server. It was easy to pick up shifts if I needed more money for a bill that I was not expecting. Great job for a college student.

ConsLate and unpredictable hours. Tips were at discretion of customers so I was never guaranteed to make any amount of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe focus has shifted to money more than customer service. Servers are pushed to limit daily and cannot provide the level of service Carrabba's is known for. Becoming publicly traded was the worst thing possible.

BAD COMPANY TO BE A KITCHEN MANAGER

Kitchen Manager (Current Employee)

Prosyou get a comp card but the catch it still makes your bonus lower, paid vacation, oh the catch you use AKM and you use up too many hours your bonus even lower, no real pro's here.

ConsEverything effects your TCI bonus, which is actually 30% of what they promise you, for example you are told you will make 37,000 they will give you a base pay of $30,000 and you have to earn then rest, they call it TCI bonus not for sure where the bonus part comes from because they makes sure you don't make over or close to what they promise, and be prepared to work your butt off everyday all day to save labor, 50-55 hours a week, no way more like 65 or more.

Advice to Senior Managementstop cheating the hardest working Managers out of there TCI, why pretend your going to fix something when we all know the only thing that matter is rising the stock prices, but once we .... off customers enough we will end up empty like mac grill company is heading toward failing and principals and belief and quality of life where and how no body cares enough or get paid enough so this is somrthing to think about short change the ones that matter you fail in the end.

Worked for Carrabba's Italian Grill? Contribute to the Community!