Carrabba's Italian Grill

Updated December 17, 2014
3.6

Carrabba's Italian Grill President Steve Shlemon
Steve Shlemon

Pros
  • Great food you can feel good about serving and talking about (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, ability to make a decent wage, and supplies good quality food which makes the job that much easier (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It would be great for employees to have a chance to make money during that time of day (in 6 reviews)

• The servers with seniority just leave stack of unsorted dishes and won't complete side work (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

unfortunately following in the footsteps of all the other "corporate" restaurants

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, I had the opportunity to work with a few that know what Carrabba's was & should still be & that made me stay as long as I did. While our store management had their flaws, which I blame corporate for most of the flaws, I did enjoy working with most of them.

Cons

Corporate makes too many changes, most with little direction or explanation. This only added to the already stressed management which by nature trickles down the chain. Management faced with some unrealistic goals and no excuses accepted for failure to meet or "exceed" those goals. Not the same company I started working for and most of the people I worked with, from store mgmt, JVP, RVP, all the way up to the corporate level that had been there for a long time have "moved on to pursue other opportunities" code for they didn't like where the company was headed and quit! Corporate, the "new" corporate, is only worried about the bottom line, just like Olive Garden, Chili's, Macaroni Grill. Just get people through the door with coupons and specials and the money will pour in...NOT. This only brought in the customers who are looking for something for nothing, which now they usually get. Doesn't it say something when the founding owners, Johnny & Damien will have nothing to do with the corporate restaurants anymore. I guess it was good while it lasted. Carrabba's is no longer a stand out from all the rest.

this is pretty much a waste of time. Corporate is convinced that their way is the right way and there will be no other way. Hopefully they don't let Carrabba's get too far away from their original principals & beliefs that they can't go back. Afraid that might be too late.

Really Great people bad restructure

Former Employee - Server in South Naples, ME
    Former Employee - Server in South Naples, ME

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing people to work around every day

Cons

New head office people don't know what the little people do

Nothing

I had a nice time with the company, but room for advancement was slow and moving forward was difficult.

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a scratch kitchen , everything made fresh. Company is expanding and has opened 3 restaurants in a year.

Cons

Cleanliness was a big factor and old equipment in the older restaurants that need a remodel. Lots of employees with tenure have left the company to pursue other avenues. Basically they did not like where the company was headed.

Incredible place to work and grow personally and professionally.

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, progressive, inclusive, caring atmosphere. Great upper management and easy to advance if you work hard.

Cons

Some restructuring at the corporate level sometimes leaves regions without supervision for 2-3 month periods.

Overall, incredible company, with solid principles and beliefs. Great support, and truly an amazing company.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Server in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Portage, MI

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love the atmosphere of this restaurant! Great management, staff, and company values. Happy with the new uniforms :)

Cons

Restaurant jobs are very fast paced - which means you can tire out easily!

Excellent culture and management at this store location.

Former Employee - Server in Sandestin, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Sandestin, FL

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management cares about the success of the restaurant and team member needs.

Cons

Team Members not always Team Players.

server

Former Employee - Server in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Server in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick cash with plenty of training for new servers. The energy is wonderful and certain managers make the job easier than others

Cons

Hours are long, hard to find people to take your shifts when you request time off and your manager does not listen to you

Marketing & Special Events

Former Employee - Marketing/Special Events in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing/Special Events in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good corporate culture that starts at top and works its way down. It isn't easy to balance "keeping a warm atmospehere" with the drama that sometimes comes with the service industry but they managed to do it.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't enough lattitude given to try new things. It seems like any kind of change, even one that everyone involved thinks is sorely needed, can take a while to come to fruition.

Weed out the drama queens, make sure employees feel there is room for upward mobility otherwise you'll only be able to keep the ones who could care less about that (or your company)

As a line cook the hours we work are very bad and the managers dont care.

Current Employee - Line Cook in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like working with my co-workers they are the best.

Cons

the managers dont care about the employees that work hard for money these days. The owner needs to get a better understanding for when people go back to school.

Get Better managers that can run the the show and care about people.

Review

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time

Pros

Employees get free meals and drinks

Cons

Only 4 people at this position