Carrabba's Italian Grill

Updated November 20, 2014
3.6

Carrabba's Italian Grill President Steve Shlemon
Steve Shlemon

Pros
  • Great food you can feel good about serving and talking about (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, ability to make a decent wage, and supplies good quality food which makes the job that much easier (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It would be great for employees to have a chance to make money during that time of day (in 6 reviews)

• The servers with seniority just leave stack of unsorted dishes and won't complete side work (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent culture and management at this store location.

Former Employee - Server in Sandestin, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Sandestin, FL

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management cares about the success of the restaurant and team member needs.

Cons

Team Members not always Team Players.

server

Former Employee - Server in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Server in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick cash with plenty of training for new servers. The energy is wonderful and certain managers make the job easier than others

Cons

Hours are long, hard to find people to take your shifts when you request time off and your manager does not listen to you

As a line cook the hours we work are very bad and the managers dont care.

Current Employee - Line Cook in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like working with my co-workers they are the best.

Cons

the managers dont care about the employees that work hard for money these days. The owner needs to get a better understanding for when people go back to school.

Get Better managers that can run the the show and care about people.

I had a nice time with the company, but room for advancement was slow and moving forward was difficult.

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a scratch kitchen , everything made fresh. Company is expanding and has opened 3 restaurants in a year.

Cons

Cleanliness was a big factor and old equipment in the older restaurants that need a remodel. Lots of employees with tenure have left the company to pursue other avenues. Basically they did not like where the company was headed.

Review

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time

Pros

Employees get free meals and drinks

Cons

Only 4 people at this position

Food and atomspere is great, however the managing and staff is much diferent.

Current Employee - Line Cook in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Workers get frew meals, lots of great people. It truley is one big family, food is prepared well and everything is made in house. Every desert, sauce, cheeses shredded. Vegitables cut fresh daily.

Cons

Managers are never on the same page. Kitchen manager is absolutly horrible and takes no responciblity for her cooking staff, lots of worker turnovers and only a few of seasoned vets on the line everyone else is new and in experienced.

Stop having pouty fits and power trips..get on the same page and hire decent workers.

Moving in the wrong direction...

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Carrabba's is a well known brand that helps get people in the door.

Cons

The company is moving backwards. They are slowly becoming like olive garden by making less items in house and are focused only on cutting costs instead of putting out a quality product. The new corporate management is horrible and is destroying the reputation that Carrabba's has worked so hard over the years to develop.

Stop making decisions without spending time in the trenches with your employees to find out what they think would make the restaurant better. Shareholders opinions should not be the only ones that matter.

Marketing & Special Events

Former Employee - Marketing/Special Events in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing/Special Events in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good corporate culture that starts at top and works its way down. It isn't easy to balance "keeping a warm atmospehere" with the drama that sometimes comes with the service industry but they managed to do it.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't enough lattitude given to try new things. It seems like any kind of change, even one that everyone involved thinks is sorely needed, can take a while to come to fruition.

Weed out the drama queens, make sure employees feel there is room for upward mobility otherwise you'll only be able to keep the ones who could care less about that (or your company)

Go Work here for a serving Job, Not for a career in management if you want to advance fast.

Current Employee - Server in Webster, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Webster, TX

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open Honest, fun, Laid back workplace, with great Clientele , management, coworkers.

Cons

Not enough A/C in the back of the house for the servers and prep-cooks during the summer Was a big problem at the location I worked at. Truthfully, the major problems I saw there were that management would not get paid nearly enough and that there was not a huge opportunity for advancement once you became a regular manager. NO matter how good you were. That might be different now since the Economy is getting better. Additionally the company was not investing in new technologies related to the POS and Ticket systems.

Fallow the Model that the former GP Daniel Costello used to manage his Webster Location and you cannot go anywhere but UP!

Great place to make money and have fun while doing so

Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love meeting new people and establishing "regular" guests within the restaurant. With the help of management, cooks, and those at the host stand, a server is very likely to be successful with a little effort. I remember many occasions where I felt my tips should have gone straight to the kitchen or those in management. They are always there for questions and understanding of first-time mistakes.

Cons

As far as running a business goes, I completely understand Increasing the amount of servers on the floor provided that each server can satisfy the needs of their tables, however there were a few times where a "two table section" did not satisfy my wallet. With time servers are rewarded more tables and trust. Carrabbas has recently began to serve lunch and I have personally handled up to five tables. There are always alternatives to the "two table section", but it takes time and the only thing to speed this up is becoming a better server.

Although I have seen it a few times, reward driven, friendly, competitions within the workplace provide(d) motivation to the server and can really change attitudes after a long week of work. I realize showing up to work, offering great service, and coming home with a lot of tips is often satisfying, however providing an increase in contests and competitions makes the job that more fun.