Carrabba's Italian Grill

Updated November 20, 2014
3.6

Carrabba's Italian Grill President Steve Shlemon
Steve Shlemon

Pros
  • Great food you can feel good about serving and talking about (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, ability to make a decent wage, and supplies good quality food which makes the job that much easier (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It would be great for employees to have a chance to make money during that time of day (in 6 reviews)

• The servers with seniority just leave stack of unsorted dishes and won't complete side work (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the best things to ever happen to me!

Current Employee - Server/Bartender
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, half off employee food, twenty-five percent off blooming brands restaurants. If you are driven and outgoing you have the opportunity to advance very quickly. If you are trusted the company will let you work almost any position that you want to learn. If you work the average of 32 hours for 6 months after being there for a year you obtain a paid vacation. The company makes it very easy to relocate if want to also if you leave the company then it is easy to come back.

Cons

Depending on position it makes it harder to get off at the last minute. It is a socially driven job meaning that if you are not sociable then you are less likely to advance in the company. Every location is different and you can not apply these pros or cons to every store. I have heard horror stories from some stores and praises from other stores.

The corporate offices should try to ensure that their managers follow company policies more properly. Most managers and partners are appropriate but some of the managers sexually harass the employees and make inappropriate gestures.

Best food service job ever.

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many employees have been at my restaurant for many years... and love it still.
    Food Quality is amazing.
    Most Clientele love the service and selection.

Cons

Some favortism shown to specific employees, and some rules are only applicable to certain people at certain times.

Management can be very unprofessional to other employees, and unprofessional in their position.

Fair company

Former Employee - Busser in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Busser in Houston, TX

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy enough. Standard restaurant work. Okay pay for a busser. Servers make the real money.

I did like the shared tips.

Cons

As I was the only English speaking busser, communication could be difficult at times between the other bussers.

Poorly managed

Former Employee - Server in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Because it is a seasonal area, when season hits (usually late November to April) there was consistency in the clientele. Good discount when you eat in your home restaurant. The staff is very friendly and you get paid every day.

Cons

Poor management and treatment of employees. Working lunch shift is a waste of time because of the lack of business. Had more issues with kitchen mistakes or other uncontrollable factors. Also, the boca clientele knows what they can get away with and they take advantage. Failure to schedule in your availbility and requires you to get the shift covered even if it isnt in your availability.

Talk to each other and get on a solid game plan so you can deliver clear direction to your staff. Lead by example.

Definitely better than some food service jobs.

Former Employee - Car Side
    Former Employee - Car Side

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay if you're in a tipped position
    You'll eat plenty of pretty good food
    It's a fairly social culture
    Flexible Scheduling system

Cons

Obnoxious training procedures and tests
    Fairly low level of respect
    Goofy / borderline bizarre corporate level activity
    Food quality / overall concept have been sacrificed for cutting costs

In my experience, there were certain entrenched employees, individuals who had been with the restaurant for years that we're prone to acting like management, and manipulating the actual management. You must pay attention to those who may be poisoning the employee culture and correct those issues effectively.

Overall good company but wrong focus.

Current Employee - Server in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Server in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always left with cash because I was a server. It was easy to pick up shifts if I needed more money for a bill that I was not expecting. Great job for a college student.

Cons

Late and unpredictable hours. Tips were at discretion of customers so I was never guaranteed to make any amount of money.

The focus has shifted to money more than customer service. Servers are pushed to limit daily and cannot provide the level of service Carrabba's is known for. Becoming publicly traded was the worst thing possible.

Great restaurant to work!

Former Employee - Server in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great food! The Carrabba family's culture is preserved, which creates high standards. Dedicated managing partner and an upbeat staff. Good growth opportunities. Good benefits. Allowed to transfer to other locations, which is very helpful if relocating.

Cons

If you work on the patio during summer, the uniforms are very hot! A sweaty server could be unappealing to guests.

Keep up the good work.

The staff and regulars made working there exceptional.

Former Employee - Key Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Key Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is easy to move up career wise and the staff and customers are great.

Cons

Management changed a lot. One manager fired at least 15 employees in the first month he started there. He was a new manager and seemed to be unprofessional in how he handles situations. The store proprietor didn't seem to be able to stand up to him. Although I wasn't one of the employees fired, working there with this management I felt I had no job security. It made for an unhappy work environment. Also, I never received my work schedule until last minuet, which made it impossible to plan anything outside of work.

All around a really bad employer and company

Former Employee - Anonymous in Inverness, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Inverness, AL

I worked at Carrabba's Italian Grill full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Is few really nice and helpful co-workers.

Cons

Horrible to no training. Store poorly organized. Food quality so- so. Good teamwork when employees actually showed up. The managers were very absent from problems, they openly argued in the dining area and also at the bar on many occasions. Don't recommend working or eating there.

Get it together.

Management made this job a nightmare!

Current Employee - Hostess/Server in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Hostess/Server in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Carrabba's Italian Grill part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers for the most part and once I was finally trained to be a server I made decent money. Overall I think the company has good ideas for service & food quality which I appreciate. Managers are made to work their way from bottom to top, which I appreciated.

Cons

I was cursed out by the proprietor multiple times, told that I would never make it in the hospitality industry because I was too "thin skinned". Have never been talked to or spoken by management in any other position the way I was spoken to here.

Treat your employees with respect.