Carrier

Updated December 6, 2014
3.8

Carrier President Geraud Darnis
Geraud Darnis

Pros
  • benefits, opportunities, diversity, work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Carrier had very good benefits and always rewarded their employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of red tape and rules, none of which is explained clearly (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Production Worker

Current Employee - Production Worker in Collierville, TN
    Current Employee - Production Worker in Collierville, TN

I have been working at Carrier

Pros

I like the benefits the company offer.

Cons

this is a seasonal job.

have a training class of continue process improvement. to help the company be a five star company.

Carrier Corp.

I have been working at Carrier

Pros

culture, advancement opportunities, peer interaction,

Cons

perks, level of difficulty with approvals

Employment

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Tyler, TX

I worked at Carrier full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extremely grateful to Carrier for providing me a means of living and good benefits for over 30 years.
    Entire plant became my second family.

Cons

So very sad to see company shutdown. Even sadder because other companies do not want to hire "old hands" like me due to lack of skills they feel are needed to benefit their company. But we still need to take care of our families. We're not dead yet.

There is no more "Management".

President

Former Employee - President in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - President in Farmington, CT

I worked at Carrier full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Carrier offers excellent opportunities for entry level employees, especially those seeking diverse, global experiences. Educational programs and management support for programs is outstanding.

Cons

As you move into more senior roles, your options for career develop narrow and you could risk redundancy based on your higher level of compensation. This is more of a risk in the CT area.

If you are leaving a successful role to join UTC or Carrier, make sure to really understand the culture.

Challenging work, friendly employees, overall good intern experience

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Carrier as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was very welcoming from day 1 and willing to help if you ask. The benefits are excellent and they also have an employee scholar program for full time to develop personal interests. I was offered relocation for the internship and a decent paying salary. Hours (40 hr/wk with paid OT) and dates were flexible. Never felt like a "coffee-fetching" intern and very satisfied with workload, was trusted with responsibility.

Cons

Because of the size of the company and so many levels of organization, some of the technology and ways of doing things are dated and updates made on top take a while to come down through management and vice versa. Felt like an "older" culture with younger employees gradually trickling in. The HR department seems to have issues with organization and hiring practices. The intern program is also somewhat weak but improving.

Continue improvement of internship program especially regarding housing, improve organization of HR department

"Conservative corporate company with old school values but competitive pay"

Former Employee - INROADS Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - INROADS Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Carrier as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Indianapolis is a city that grows on you, and I could see myself living there for a couple of years. The economy is booming there and if I was already out of college, I would capitalize as much as possible on the outskirts of downtown. There's lots of money to be made in Indy!
    - Carrier is a company that has values of awarding individual, high performers.
    - The salary and benefits of working at Carrier are excellent.
    - The relocation package helped with my move and was received in my first check.
    - There are some employee activities that bring out the personality in people some days and they were extremely fun.
    - Carrier is backed by a multinational conglomerate, so there is always a sense of job security.
    - The workload given to me as an intern has truly launched my career and sets me a part from thousands of people in my field. I am extremely grateful for my experience and the autonomy I was given in my work!

Cons

- The workload can become overwhelming and consume your life.
    - As an intern, you have no access to working from home. All work must be done in the office, if possible.
    - The company culture is very conservative with old school values - you can really feel your youth in the office and how the majority still upholds values of Christianity, family, heterosexuality, and resistance to change. It is not bad thing, but the world is moving forward and Carrier will eventually fall behind.
    - Carrier is extremely bureaucratic that it can seem almost like a dictatorship when dealing with executives. Not only are you conscious about every move, word, and step you take, it is intimidating and uncomfortable.
    - Overall, Carrier will slowly fall back in the industry due to a lack of innovation. It is not celebrated in such a stiff environment resistant to change. It is time for Carrier to start listening not only to their existing customers, but to the new generational cohort that will actually be purchasing their products.

Listen to your employees - all of them. Whether the issue is large or small, an idea or a simple suggestion, there are so many improvements that can be made within the workplace. Make people's opinions, concerns, and ideas matter. If this can be done, Carrier will be one of the best places to work in the country!

Great company to work for, yet extremely demanding

I worked at Carrier

Pros

great office culture, great training, great benefits

Cons

work-life balance, company values, and leadership

work-life balance, company values, and leadership

Used to be a great place to work....

I worked at Carrier full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Employee Scholar Program

Cons

Morale went way down when cost cutting measures and branch closures started happening. Too much office politics and backstabbing.

"Life at Carrier"

Former Employee - Intern in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Carrier as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Carrier is a company that really believes in interdisciplinary work. Therefore, you will rarely get bored with one project.

Cons

The compensation package could be a bit more competitive.

Press operator working here since 2004 for 10 years

Current Employee - Press Operator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Carrier full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

working for a union who fights for your job and benefits, the pay.

Cons

Working a lot of overtime mandatory but like the check