Carrington College

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
1.8

CEO

Making mistakes is not the best way to learn and train.

I have been working at Carrington College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people I work with are nice and helpful. The students are the reason I do my job.

Cons

They have a significant lack of training individuals for their positions whether it's leadership, academic, etc. It is a learn as you go process which is very ineffective. There aren't any policies or procedures in place (or at least accessible) to help new employees. They seem to be profit and numbers driven.

Have a formal process to train new employees for every position.

Las Vegas Campus a Miserable Place to Work

I have been working at Carrington College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and nice building.

Cons

The Las Vegas campus is a miserable place to work. You'll never get a direct thank you no matter how many hours you put in or how hard you work. You'll never get a thank you but you'll sure get your rear-end chewed. Morale is totally in the sewer and the recent employee surveys prove it! Staff are taken out to lunch, which is a nice gesture, in an effort to placate them but everyone sees right through the phony effort. The culture is all about the numbers and there's a great deal of pressure to pass students but it's an indirect pressure. Let's face it there are dedicated students and less than dedicated students and when a student fails at this campus it's the faculty who gets nailed to the cross with minimal responsibility placed on the student. Lots of people have left and many more yet to go. No smiles, no one laughs, no one jokes. It's a very glum place without happy people.

Take a look at how many people have quit and realize that there's something wrong.

Great job for the walking dead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Carrington College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are ok, Working conditions are very stressful. Associate co-workers are great and dedicated with a commitment to students. Employees are a merry-go-round of new hires. Many have left after 1-2 weeks.

Cons

As you have read in other reviews of this school, management is REALLY bad. This is management by chaos. The management structure is like a giant spider web with everyone in a position of authority making decisions with no idea of what is actually needed to run an educational program. It would be laughable and a great TV sitcom if it weren't so serious as it affects the employees life's and the student's success. I think management really believes their mantra that everyone has a voice. It is totally ridiculous and all the employees know it. The number of employees that have been "walked out" is beyond belief.

I have not seen any indication that management takes these comments seriously. As long as the revenue from students is rolling in (from the government loan program), there will be no change. Every upper manager I have come in contact with is interested in making a name for themselves, moving up, and letting someone else try to clean up any disasters. If, as a manger, you can increase revenue, you will be glorified. The only way this can be changed is for the media to get involved and this would further jeopardize the employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst professional working environment and leadership of any company I've worked for.....

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Carrington College full-time for less than a year

Pros

The students are the only reason anyone stays with Carrington. Without the students. there is absolutely no reason to continue working there.

Cons

For the most part, the senior and executive management, especially at the home office and campus level (executive director) are incompetent, inexperienced, and hired for reasons other than business acumen. They are mostly from the previous acquisitions that DeVry made in each regional market. No integrity or knowledge of how to manage a successful team is in evidence. Metrics based and not a complement if you do anything right. The culture is based upon making your boss look good at all expense and covering for their incompetence. If you try to do something to improve operational efficiencies or processes, you are branded as a trouble-maker and summarily written up on a "performance improvement plan" with jacked up charges, with the outside door the only answer. Several of my former colleagues have been (unfairly) the target of this treatment and it is a pattern that is repeated throughout the system. Unhappy employees reside at Carrington, only there because they need the job. Most everyone I know is actively seeking other employment. Micro-management, bullying, and condescension are the values management seems to utilize in their attempt to continue their fife-dom of personal ego and control. Old, outdated systems, processes, and outmoded thinking abound. No original ideas or tolerance thereof is permitted.

Get rid of the incompetent executive management that have done nothing to elevate the company, but continue to bleed valuable, knowledgeable employees who are truly trying to make a positive difference in the students' lives. Actually use the DEVRY TEACH values and stop pretending to be a DeVry company, because Carrington College is a pathetic excuse for the real DeVry culture. If Daniel Hamburger, the CEO of DeVry Education Group really knew the crap that was happening at the Executive and Campus leadership level, he wouldn't stand for it. Carrington should fire any employee that doesn't pass a lie detector test, as most of the management are cold-hearted people who don't give a hoot about anything but the way they look to their manager. Have I said enough? Avoid working for this company at all costs, unless you are a masochist! I can't wait to give notice and leave this horror show behind!

Not the best company to work for and I have issues with their recruiting of students

I have been working at Carrington College

Pros

I don't have anything positive to say

Cons

Micro management. Difficult to be creative while teaching students

Don't micromanage. Let your team be creative to help their students

Great place to work

I have been working at Carrington College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hours, pay, good coworkers, easy work load

Cons

boring, repetitive, some supervisors are useless

Train the supervisors to be leaders and not babysitters

The Beatings Will Continue....

Former Employee - Enrollment Services Support  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Services Support in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Carrington College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, good schedule, good benefits

Cons

Micro management, favoritism, People in positions who have NO IDEA what they are doing.- all of the above does not give you the right to treat people like crap.

Take a step back and realize the employees who have been there and what an asset they are. Quit letting the youngin's get away with murder.

Sadly, the school went steadily downhill during my time there

Former Employee - Enrollment Representative
    Former Employee - Enrollment Representative

I worked at Carrington College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The students were what made the job worth it and the people working in the staff positions were really great.

Cons

Management was terrible. They fostered a very negative environment and tried to motivate through fear. Often they promoted people who were the favorites of upper management regardless of their qualifications. It turned into a little club that was being woefully mismanaged.

Treat your junior employees with a little more respect and stop trying to manage through fear. Bring back some of the excellent training programs from when you were Western Career College and stop promoting people based on favoritism.

All about Profit!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Carrington College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, chance to travel, and students.

Cons

High pressure may be good for some. Their focus is not on students but on the bottom line, that is if you really care about helping people make a change in their life then this is not the place for you. Management likes cliques.

Put people in management who have experience working with ALL type of people not just their friends.

It was a roller-coaster. A lot of ups and downs but helped me grow professionally

Current Employee - Accounting  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Carrington College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team environment. Recognized for hard effort. Challenging work. Free tuition at Devry University.

Cons

Office closed down. No work-life balance. Salary.

Appreciate and develop your employees. Be more transparent.

Worked for Carrington College? Contribute to the Community!