Carrizo Oil & Gas Reviews

Carrizo Oil & Gas President, CEO, and Director S. P. Johnson IV
S. P. Johnson IV

1. Full of Opportunity

I have been working at Carrizo Oil & Gas

Pros

Carrizo is a rapidly expanding company with a focus on employees as its best asset. Exceptionally knowledgeable staff and room to grow your career. The salary and benefits are very handsome, and they make you feel rewarded for hard work. Other perks include the downtown location, free parking, and gym subsidies.

Cons

Rapid growth has led to some departments becoming inundated with work and short staffed. My hope is that hiring will catch up with the workload.

2. Great Company, management is clueless.

Former Contractor - Production Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Production Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Carrizo Oil & Gas as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are great and the company is managed well from the business/financial aspect.

Cons

Management was NOT honest with me about the job description. It was very bait and switch. I was told one thing in my interview but my actual daily duties were not what was discussed. When I confronted my supervisor about this I was given the run around. 2 months later I was let go because "I didn't seem interested in the job", which of course was true because it wasn't the job I applied/interviewed for in the first place. My department was unnecessarily cut throat. Production techs behave as though they're on a trading floor...take it easy guys, you're just allocating. I attribute all of this to a toxic tone set by a frankly, inexperienced manager. He knew the trade, but nothing of managing and training a team and it shows through in the overall vibe set by him.

Advice to Management

Overall I think Carrizo is a great company to work for, I think my negative experience was fairly isolated to my situation. However if upper management doesn't do a better job of grooming mid management, there is going to be a high turn over rate come the big crew change. Be honest with job candidates about what the position entails.

3. Growing company but VERY CUT THROAT!!!

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Carrizo Oil & Gas

Pros

Great pay and benefits for the employees. The CEO is a GREAT person!

Cons

Management needs to change how they treat employees. Management is not open to doing more with how they do business and leverage technology. Some managers and VPs are cut throat and very sinister - do not give people a fair break and blame is passed around readily. New managers are not developed properly and people are leaving because of bad treatment and bad treatment.

Advice to Management

Care more about your people and have integrity. Pay does not substitute for decent treatment

5. Land Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Carrizo Oil & Gas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is great and relaxed here. The company is very supportive of a work and home life balance. I have learned a lot from other workers as long as you are willing to see knowledge.

Cons

The compensation for me has not been that great, however, I know that it has been really great for other people.

6. A very busy place to work but with a relaxed attitude

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Carrizo Oil & Gas

Pros

Carrizo is probably one of the most laid back places to work. The people are very friendly and really understanding of their employees' personal life outside of work. A great place to work for people with families (needing to take time off if kids are sick, personal matters, etc). Dress code is very casual - you can wear jeans everyday! Benefits are great and stock options are even better. From recent news articles, this company is steadily growing and becoming a well known name in the E & P community.

Cons

Salary could be a little bit better but still very reasonable.

Advice to Management

I think their growing company speaks for itself. The company is doing great and their stock prices are going higher and higher each day.

7. Just OK

Current Employee - Landman
    Current Employee - Landman

I have been working at Carrizo Oil & Gas

Pros

Lots going on, if they will allow you to work on it

Cons

Can be boring at times when rig count rapidly decreases.

Advice to Management

Keep young ambitious employees busy so they don't feel like they have to look elsewhere.

RSS Feed </> Embed